ArboristSite.com Sponsors

OK.....I need to get to the bottom of the Stihl coil interchange.......

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by jockeydeuce, Feb 16, 2010.

1. jockeydeuce

jockeydeuce Addicted to ArboristSite

I know this has been covered in other threads, but with mixed messages. I pretty much have a handle on how most of the ignition and flywheel changes came about (definitely lots to absorb), but my main question is about the 1122 400 1314 coil used on the 046's a 066's with the poly flywheels.

I don't mean to call JacobJ out, but this is a quote from an old post on the subject.......

Now I thought I had read that the 1122 400 1314 ignition wouldn't work with any of the aluminum flywheeels like the 064 used, but in this old thread, Jacob is saying he's done it with good success. Jacob seems to be the guru on this, so I hope he chimes in.

I have a 1122 400 1314 ignition beside the universal 0000 400 1300 ignition and they look identical and the 1122 400 1314 will bolt right in where the universal coil will........What's the story??? Will the 1122 400 1314 ignition work in "non poly" applications or not????:confused:

2. Jacob J.

Jacob J. Tree Freak

You don't mean to be calling me out, but you're calling me out...

Here's the deal. The ignitions for the polymer flywheel saws have a timing circuit in them that advances ignition timing at higher revs. You need to know this if you're going to use this ignition with an aluminum flywheel. Most of the coils on saws with the aluminum flywheels are dummy coils, or straight coils. They don't advance the ignition at higher revs. Some of the coils on aluminum flywheel saws (mostly smaller saws) actually retard the ignition timing at low revs to make starting easier.

Does this mean I'd install an ignition for a polymer flywheel saw on a homeowner's saw? no. I will do it on modified saws that are going into the hands of pro users.

3. jockeydeuce

LOL....OK, I guess I was calling you out, but just didn't mean it in a bad way....I'm just trying to be informed and you seem to be really up on these!.:cheers:

So what possible "bad things" could happen if running the 1122 400 1314 coil on an aluminum flywheel saw???? The obvious thing I can think of is "kickback" on a saw designed to have the retarded starting timing......What about at WOT??? Backfiring??....Or actual engine damage?

Also is that an ignition that can only be used on modded saws? I can see the extra advance being an advantage on a ported saw that's revving higher at WOT.

BTW....Thanks for the reply!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  4. Fish

Fish Account Hold

We know about you guys in the Northwest...........

I think he is trying to "ask" you out...........

You could go dutch for some "latte frapachinos" together....

5. Jacob J.

Jacob J. Tree Freak

The saw isn't going to kickback or backfire. The polymer flywheel coils don't retard the timing for start-up. That's usually on smaller saws to make starting easier for Harry Homeowner.

The thing you have to be careful with when looking at retro-fitting an aluminum flywheel saw with one of the polymer flywheel coils is that it will advance ignition timing at high revs. The reason for the timing advance in the polymer flywheel I've heard from muckity mucks at Stihl is from the potential for the polymer flywheel to 'flex' at high speeds.

When you put one of the "dummy" coils (such as the universal module, 0000 400 1300) on a polymer flywheel saw, it will run and cut, it just won't seem as crisp as a normal saw. I personally don't like the feel of an 046 when it has the dummy coil.

6. Jacob J.

Jacob J. Tree Freak

lol...I was wondering why my pants are so tight.

teacherman likes this.
  7. jockeydeuce

Fish.....You jealous little devil.....Are you asking me out???:blush:

8. Fish

Fish Account Hold

That could work on a couple of levels...........

Jacob J. likes this.
  9. Fish

Fish Account Hold

No coil discounts to my boyfriends.....

10. jockeydeuce

OK....So will it advance to the point of pre-ignition under load or is it just a case of trial and error on each saw if a guy wants to try it???

Actually part of the reason for my question, is that I'm getting so many extra coils from parts saws, that I just wanted to confirm whether it's a big deal to interchange or if I should keep careful track of what they came out of (Apparently I better tag them all).....They look identical and have no numbers on them.

11. Jacob J.

Jacob J. Tree Freak

Definitely tag them all. The best policy is to keep each original flywheel with its respective coil. As coils age, their timing and electronics can be altered or changed, especially if they're been run hard in a demanding environment. I've seen two different universal modules have slightly different timing due to one being excessively abused in a hot climate.

I've seen the CDIC rev-limited modules go from governing a saw at 12.5k down to 10k just on the basis of age and wear and tear.

In the case of the polymer flywheel coil on an aluminum flywheel saw, it's more trial and error than anything and that's why I don't recommend it to most people.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  12. jockeydeuce

GOTCHA!!

Thanks!......I tried to rep ya, but I gotta spread it around first.:cheers:

Have you ever tried that poly ignition in one of the smaller saws just for kicks??

13. Meadow Beaver

Meadow Beaver Sideshowkickboxer

Anyone know if you can put a 660 crank in an old 066?

14. Jacob J.

Jacob J. Tree Freak

Not unless you have a CNC machine and a lot of patience...

15. Meadow Beaver

Well fook, no biggy

16. ironman_gq

ironman_gq Addicted to ArboristSite

So would putting an 046 coil in my 044 make any difference?

17. Jacob J.

Jacob J. Tree Freak

I wouldn't recommend it. It's possible to get the ignition timing too aggressive at high revs.

18. Meadow Beaver

Anyone ever put a 394 crank in an 066?

19. wigglesworth

wigglesworth Booned

JJ is that why you made mention of the "self advancing" coil in the 044 I got from you? As I took it, it would "self advance", much similar to the 046 coil. Am I correct in this thinking?

20. ironman_gq

ironman_gq Addicted to ArboristSite

Would that be a major problem with an 046 cylinder on my 044 and a little port work and muffler mod. I'm looking for more power and if a simple coil swap will help I'd like to try.