partner saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich85

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
ive just bought a partner 390 in an auction but it didn't come with instructions and I cant find them anywhere on the net I cant even find the partner website, does anyone know where I can find some instructions for it?

what are partners like compared to say stihl and husqvarna? im new to arboriculture and i got my license with stihls at college

what are partners like compared to say stihl and husqvarna? im new to arboriculture and i got my license with stihls at college

If it is anything like the 390 pictures I've seen on Google, it looks like a modern homeowner Poulan, but I may not be looking at the right saw.

EDIT: Uncle Niko beat me to it. As usual.

Well the one you have is not one of the saws that I am familiar with. Yours is " relatively new" my newest partner is a 5000 plus it was made back in 1984. It is a pro grade saw and will hold its own with other larger saws I am told. I can not speak to this personally as I only own my Partners.
Someone will come along soon and do a better job explain the lineage of your particular saw for you. Judging by what I have seen by Googling a little I would say yours is an inexpensive home owner version made for medium to light use. Partner in its time was a great old company but with time and buyouts and bankruptcy a lot of the old saws that made people a good living have been greatly depleted to the point that not much if anything exists of the original company's influence anymore. This fate fell on Poulan and McColloch and Homelite as well.

i dont know what chain pitch is on it but i think its about 15 or 16 inch bar, would they be able to tell in the shop if i take it in?

i dont know what chain pitch is on it but i think its about 15 or 16 inch bar, would they be able to tell in the shop if i take it in?

Measure across 3 rivets and divide by 2 to get the pitch of the chain (i.e. .325, .375, .404, etc.) The gauge is the width OD the tang on the drive links the fit in the groove on the bar (i.e. .043, .050, .058, .063).

Good way to measure the bar gauge is with coins
Dime is 0.050"
Penny is 0.058"
Quarter is 0.063"

Bar gauge = chain gauge.

With chain pitch and gauge you can buy the correct file to sharpen.

Back