Pine stump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minutellitho

Reaction score
Hi guys. New member and been a lurker for a good while. Recently cut a 26" diameter pine down in the middle of the yard. Got most of the wood hauled away. What's everyone's opinion on best way to rid myself of the stump? First thought was chemical but there are dogs so don't want to risk anything with them. Other thought was to dig around it hook it up to my dually and pull it out but there's septic nearby i cant drive over.

Attachments

• IMG_20170219_145647736.jpg
    IMG_20170219_145647736.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 92
Rent or hire out a stump grinder. You'll never pull that out with a truck.

um that picture dont show me much but from what i can guess agree thats 2 big to dig if can rent a grinder be best,,, oh note with pine if you can wait as long possible let it dry it eg 6 months become far easier task for some reason (explication long winded) fresh pine puts up a fight with even new stump grinder teeth dry pine is much easier

option B is let it dry pile up wood soak it with fuel and burn it out it will take time and a few attempts

Pour acid on it every few days. Burning it does not work so well unless you have time to let it dry. As far as the dogs are concerned acid will not create a smell that would attract them to the site. Staking down chicken wire or plastic over it until it has diminished to the point of no concern could be the way to go. Muriatic acid is the most readily available, but from my experience it will take a month or so. Drill several large holes in it and fill it with acid. Several years ago I remember being able to buy a kit with chemicals for stump removal, but not available now in California. Grinding the stump out is hard work also. The best solution for me was to cut it below grade then hit it with acid. Thanks

I have seen videos on youtube where folks have drilled holes into the stump and then lit it on fire (with some accelerator). Looks like it can take 24 hours or so, but what burning leaves behind is better for the soil/animals than chemicals

If you don't like your truck, hook a cable to your rear axle and let her rip.

Don't piss around with fire or chemicals or or, just get it ground out. Stump grinding as a business has become so easy to get into, everybody wants to do it and the prices have dropped through the floor.
When you get it ground, it's here today, gone this afternoon.

If you are not in a hurry , piling brush on it and burning, would eventually get rid of it. I've done oak, seems like it took 3 or 4 burnings on stumps about that size. Be careful not to start a ground fire. I like to pile brush, and after it is dry cover the center, then after or during a rain or snow, remove the cover and burn it with out worry of it spreading.

You can use a chainsaw to cut into the stump from above, CAREFUL if not done correctly kick back may occur! You use the tip of your chainsaw and do a few punge cuts full length of the bar (max. 18-20inch) in a criss cross version. I then put in some fresh earth from the compost pile and water the whole thing regularly. Fresh earth from the compost pile has the highest amount of bacteria/ fungy/ etc. in my experience. Rot will happen quickly but will still take a few years to fully disapear.

How much is your time worth? I bet you could find somebody to grind it zero clean up for under a hundo, to me that's well worth it.... then you handle the clean up. Or you have them just rake it back in the hole and leave you a nice neat pile, this is what I recommend. Raking stump shavings sucks it'll be worth the couple extra bucks the guy will charge

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I grind stumps. And alot of people try burning, drilling, pulling them out, pouring acid on them, and then they call me to grind them out. Just pay to have it ground out. And pine is a little rough to grind .

Pine stumps usually rot pretty fast unless there full of pine sap.
Drill holes in it and put salt peter on it. Let it sit for a few months, then it will burn down below the ground level.

Back