Piston Failure Cause

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I know what led to this saw's destruction, I may be wrong though.

Under the clutch, the oil pump drive tit snapped off halfway down. It also ground down the oil pump. The surface almost looks like it was machined with a mill.

I think the prior owner put a non-pro clutch drum with no notch for the drive on and then tightened everything down. The clutch cover then bent the pump drive and then the saw was run with this amount of drag on it. So much that it ground metal down.

I think this was the cause.

The cause of what?

The ground down oil pump is unrelated to the piston failure. Most pistons I have seen that have the skirt worn thin and broken have been on the intake side. Not sure of the reason, just my experience.

Funny, the exact same thing happened to my 026 last year. It has been sitting for a while waiting for me to get time to fix it. I tore the saw down a few weeks ago and found my piston looking the same way. I was able to clean up the cylinder, put a Meteor kit in it and slapped it all together last night. Hopefully I will fire it up tomorrow provided we don't get a lot of snow.

The ground down oil pump is unrelated to the piston failure. Most pistons I have seen that have the skirt worn thin and broken have been on the intake side. Not sure of the reason, just my experience.

The intake side of the piston takes more of the thrust load. Something about rod angle/crank throw and power impulse.

Trash abrading the skirt as it enters the cylinder

Never heard the thrust load thing, but it could well be.
It's the exhaust side on this saw.

Now that I'm investigating, this damage to this model is seeming more and more common.

Back