pointers on planing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive got an idea for a pretty basic setup, Ill try it out and post results when I get to it.

Where in New York are you? The reason I ask is if you happen to be near me, I have a large sander once you get you slabs leveled.

Good thread! I've never tried the router, but would be interested.

My approach has been to begin with a 6 3/4" Makita power plane. Expensive at 600 bucks, but I've had it for 10 years, and it's a champ. Used it one all sorts of stuff. Get 'er close, then hit with the belt sander. If you're not taking much, a belt sander can make a great finish, but yep, it's easy to gouge a divet with the belt sander.

One thing that really helps with the belt sander (and power planing too) is to occasionally sand cross-grain up to maybe 30 degrees in both directions to keep an even surface, if the wood species allows. I also go no finer than 60 or 80 grit with the belt sander, and dress the belt often with one of those big blocks of natural rubber. My favorite belts are from Econ-abrasives—way better than the Deltas at the local hardware store, and 1/3 od the price.

Another approach I took recently on a kitchen counter of doug fir was to rip the slab down, join the edges (I have a small portable joiner that's undersized, but works), then plane with a 12" thickness planer, and clamp and glue in place. For a dead-flat counter, that made sense, but not a process I'm likely to repeat again.

Finally, and this will sound the craziest... A shipwright I met 30 years ago when I was a kid made some amazing finishes with a 7"/9" big grinder with a 12" 3M soft pad. You can go down to 24 grit with these bad boys, and remove material very quickly. I've had good success with this, but it takes a very steady hand, and the potential for screwing up is huge.

I've tried just about every way to level Slabs. I've ended up with a simple router sled made from an old plywood countertop. That has served me well for the last 8 years. You can get really high tech with what ever you decide to make. I decided on a simple design because it works and only took 10mins to make and has leveled 100s of slabs.

Attachments

• DSCN0084.JPG
    DSCN0084.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 32
If you are going the route of a sled, either indoors or out. Sawhorses or whatever.....Build to suite you, if you are a dwarf make the table dwarf height...vice versa if you are a giant...
I would keep it as simple as possible, this is something I assume you are going to breakdown after use, you only want to be looking for a few parts the next time a slab needs surfacing.(Little itty bits have a way of disappearing in my shop)
Most of the videos out there show some poor sap hunched over a sled, there is one (I could not find it) that shows a clever set up of a push stick of sorts, that is used to slide the router side to side, thus preventing the hunch back effect.
anyways just another 2 cents of mine.
G Vavra

I just met a guy at a cook out. He's a custom cabinet maker. He said he has a 48 inch wide double belt sander and it will do a better job than a planer. He said bring some slabs by and see how it works. I'm getting pretty busy at work so it will probably be first of the year before I get a chance. Will post pics when it happens, Joe.

I just met a guy at a cook out. He's a custom cabinet maker. He said he has a 48 inch wide double belt sander and it will do a better job than a planer. He said bring some slabs by and see how it works. I'm getting pretty busy at work so it will probably be first of the year before I get a chance. Will post pics when it happens, Joe.
I just got a large sander and so far I'm saving a lot of time. I'd guess 75-90%.

While I agree that a sander is the 'easier way' to finish larger slabs, I have issues with the slabs that are twisted. How does a larger twisted slab make the journey through the sander?

Scott (still think router is best) B

While I agree that a sander is the 'easier way' to finish larger slabs, I have issues with the slabs that are twisted. How does a larger twisted slab make the journey through the sander?

Scott (still think router is best) B

I've just got my sander and the longest I've sanded has been 84 inches. I've had a few smaller twisted slabs. I made a jig that attaches to each end that basically shims the two higher ends until it makes sense to flip the slab. I've also used an electric hand planer but it seem to cause a lot of tear out. I have plans to make roller tables to help support the larger slabs but haven't had time.

Well in true AS / Internet forum fashion someone should recommend this:
http://www.shopbottools.com/mProducts/prSalpha.htm
If you don't get the 144" x 60" capacity, you're not doing it right.

And this is truely the only way one can sand slabs after the CNC levels it:
http://www.safetyspeed.com/products_sanders_75series.htm
The 75" should get it done.

Time to start selling organs...
:clap:

HAHA cool

56062530.jpg

I have neither the funds, room or really the desire to have a big a$$ sander, but it is nice to see one in action, zip ahead to the 11minute mark.

That's a great video, very informative and useful as far as surfacing is concerned. Where is that show on? Never scene it.

That's about 3 hours away. I'd doubt it would be worth your time to bring you slabs that far, the offer is still there if you think it's worth it.
yeah, I got a lot of really good info and some good ideas from this thread. I have a slab ready to go I think Im going to move forward with belt sanding the first slab, and in the meantime I will order a dish router bit and get a sled system ready for the next one to go through. I have a nice "spalted" cherry piece I want to try to book match

yeah, I got a lot of really good info and some good ideas from this thread. I have a slab ready to go I think Im going to move forward with belt sanding the first slab, and in the meantime I will order a dish router bit and get a sled system ready for the next one to go through. I have a nice "spalted" cherry piece I want to try to book match
If you are going to use a belt sander remember to keep it constantly moving. Work it side to side in wide arcs to blend all the of the sanding. If you have to stop make sure you pick up the sander. If you don't, things can go wrong in a hurry. Good luck and don't forget to post pics!!!

Back