ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Price for facecord of firewood

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by oxbow, Jul 28, 2009.

1. oxbow

oxbow ArboristSite Operative

What is the price per facecord of firewood in your area?
    Does the price include delivery?

I understand a cord of firewood is the amount of wood that would fit in a pile 8' X 4' X 4', and a facecord of firewood is the amount of wood that would fit in a stack 8' long by 4' high, cut in 16" lengths (a facecord is 1/3 cord).

Thanks

2. miller1

miller1 ArboristSite Operative

About 40 bucks i would say.

3. woodbooga

woodbooga cords of mystic memory

No one I know of up here sells or even measures by the face cord. Even when there's no talk of money changing hands, everything is discussed in terms of a fraction of a cord. E.g., "It's only Thanksgiving and we've already burnt one and a quarter cords" or "May was chilly - must've burnt half a cord through Memorial Day."

If I mentioned 'face cord' to a friend, he might envision the attached image. (Props to Husky455Rancher). :)

4. CrappieKeith

CrappieKeith Addicted to ArboristSite

Being from Mn. we do not do face cord. Full cords or bush cords are what we use 100$-140$ depending on who you go through for ash-oak.

5. blades

blades Addicted to ArboristSite

$60 for quote "campfire wood" ( you pick up) up to $95 delivered and stacked dry? hardwood ( course there are those who consider box elder hardwood). Then there have been a couple ads for $125/face cord for oak.

6. MJR

MJR AboristSite Guru

A face cord around Syracuse I have seen $45 still growning wet wood to $85 dry. Most seems $55-60 dumped.

7. STLfirewood

STLfirewood Addicted to ArboristSite

Last year I was geting $100-$120 for a 4'x8'x16" Delivered and stacked. This year I hope to stay above $100 time will tell.

Scott

8. MNGuns

MNGuns Purveyor of Fine Firewood Consumer of Fine Whiskey

$120 for a face cord delivered locally and stacked off the back of the truck.

9. Wood Doctor

Wood Doctor Edwin

It should be one-third the price of a cord unless a benevolent dealer offers quantity discounts to customers who buy a full cord.

10. Del_

Del_ Tree Freak

A 'face cord' is not a legal description for firewood sales and your dept. of agriculture may become interested in your advertisement.

11. Wood Doctor

Wood Doctor Edwin

Good point, Dan. I'm so tired of seeing face cords of firewood advertised that I wish the whole concept was kicked all the way to North Korea. :dizzy:

12. chucker

chucker Addicted to ArboristSite

" a rick " or " 1/3 " of a cord is the way we sell here other then a " 1/2 " cord to a full cord (128 cf) .... a 1/3 rd will go for around 45.00green and dry will fetch 60.00 ... then it depends on the species and maybe odd lengths for some of them shoe box wood burners!!! delivery is free under 20 miles and gas/fuel stays under 3.00 a gal.....

13. flewism

flewism ArboristSite Operative

$40 to $75 here, delivery extra, 4' x8' x16", Most firewood guys here advertise their facecord price first, then their cord price.

14. Straightgrain

Straightgrain Guest

Never sold em. Cords only, U haul. I don't deliver, stack, light the fire or draw the bath- water. ( I know, I have issues).

Ponderosa Pine: $130/cord
    Douglas fir: $160/cord
    Maple (Straightgrain) $225/cord
    oak and cherry: don't sell my favorites.

15. turnkey4099

turnkey4099 Tree Freak

Too bad there isn't a big club that lands on anyone's head using 'face cord' 'Bush cord' 'load' and the like. None of them are a standard measure and none are legal descriptions.

A cord is a precise amount, good legal description. Why use those fake, regional measures. Of them all "bush cord" really bites me as it (apparently) describes a true "cord" Why add an uneccessary "bush" to it?

Harry K

16. jasoutside

jasoutside ArboristSite Member

At least the fellas in your area are calling it a face cord. Around hear you'll hear of folks selling cords all day long (around $50 give or take) and what they are really selling is 1/3 cord! Can drive a man bonkers!:confused::dizzy:

17. ropensaddle

ropensaddle Feel Lucky

Yeah or they call it 4+16 which is a full cord if the wood is 24". What ticks you off is most people don't know how much sweat goes into producing a full cord. It reflects in the prices we market. I feel true cords are worth way more than they bring especially 16" which is a third more labor to produce than 24" but sells for the same price:rolleyes:

18. ghitch75

ghitch75 AboristSite Guru

40 to 50 buc's a rick....been sold that way around here for over 30 years.....you say face cord to people around here and look at you like your talkin' Chinese......

19. oxbow

Cordwood prices

miller1, CrappieKeith, MJR, STLfirewood, MNGuns, chucker, flewison, straitgrain, glitch75:

Thanks for your responses; it's amazing how much the prices vary, for essentially the same commodity. As MJR said, the price range in the central NY area is from $45 - $85 (1/3 cord).

Woodbooga, Wooddoctor, TreeCo, turnkey4099, ropensaddle:

I have my own opinion about the terms/quantities used in sale of firewood. (That’s why I provided a definition of terms in my OP.) A cord should be a cord. I’m guessing that in urban areas, where many folks burn wood for aesthetics, not for primary heat, a cord of firewood is more than they can use, or have the room to store. Whether I like it or not, the term facecord (1/3 cord) is very common in my area. If you see cordwood for sale for $85, you better find out before delivery if that’s a real good price for a cord, or if it’s an expensive “facecord”.

I’m still interested in hearing from others about pricing.

MNGuns likes this.
  20. oxbow

woodbooga:

If I mentioned 'face cord' to a friend, he might envision the attached image. (Props to Husky455Rancher). :)[/QUOTE]

That's a beauty!
    You DID make a table out of that slab, right?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009