Reading chips...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can set the top plate angle with the HF grinder. I use 10 degrees as that's what the chain already was. So are you using a skip tooth cc chain for milling, is that what i am understanding? If so i'll pick one up tonight.

I use cheap comp semi chisel and it clears oak chips just fine plus, if I ever want skip, I can just grab the grinder and start taking out cutters. PS, comp = 2 drive links per cutter.

I use cheap comp semi chisel and it clears oak chips just fine plus, if I ever want skip, I can just grab the grinder and start taking out cutters. PS, comp = 2 drive links per cutter.

Wow, ok so my local saw shop charges me $53 for the ripping chains, and the comp semi chisel chain is $26!

Wow, ok so my local saw shop charges me $53 for the ripping chains, and the comp semi chisel chain is $26!
I would send you a loop but shipping would put it close to the $26. If you are not worried about production in really big softwood, I think you'll be fine with comp. There's theoretical perfect, real world perfect and real world works at a reasonable price...take your pick. If you get enough information that $50 will get you 2-3 min cuts in softwood vs 15 min cuts for $26 you might change your mind. All I can say is my setup works great in 24-30" Red Oak.

i hear what you're saying as I'm a tech for Toyota and I try to explain to customers and new techs all the time that there's theoretical, and real world practices lol... Thanks man for your help.

I just looked up the Husky 61 and it's about 61 CC's. The Stihl 660 is 90 something CC's so it's a good bit bigger. When I was milling with my Homelite 1050, 100 CC's, with 404 it was slower than my 660. You might be about where that 61 is doing it's best, Joe.

I just looked up the Husky 61 and it's about 61 CC's. The Stihl 660 is 90 something CC's so it's a good bit bigger. When I was milling with my Homelite 1050, 100 CC's, with 404 it was slower than my 660. You might be about where that 61 is doing it's best, Joe.

I'm actually looking for an 80cc or bigger saw as we speak. I don't think the 61 is very happy with this work lol..

Your raker angle (long diagonal of the pink box from red horizontal) is 5.4º which is slightly less than stock.
If the saw has anything close to 660 performance, in that wood I'd be trying at least 7º or maybe 7.5º
View attachment 567391

Your cutter could also use more hook (top plate cutting angle) so the saw wont self feed like it should.
Compare with this picture - top one is Will Malloff's. lower one is mine.
View attachment 567393

BTW that chain is safety (anti kick back) chain and it will be slightly more difficult for it to clear sawdust than regular chain. Anti kickback chain is not needed for milling.
Thank you Bob! Pictures are so much easier to read than letters(-; Now I just have to put on the reading glasses and move files in between comparing picture with my 3d metal

Hey guys, I know typically when I fell trees that I have pretty good size chips that are thrown and I am new to milling but when I mill, using 2 brand new Stihl ripping chains, that my chips are more like powdered sugar and the rips take about 15 minutes for 8 foot logs. Is this normal? I do run a file across the chain after each rip and am using an auxiliary bar oiler. Thanks, Mike.

Here's the 4th slab cut on that Archer chain I mentioned earlier. Makes 40' of 24"-33" wide Red Oak cutting so far and still making chips. No way you should have to touch up after 8' of cutting.

Great video johnny.. I've been using the new chain and life has been great. I got through a whole new log without filing and will be starting another tonight. Thanks again for all your help!

I'm actually looking for an 80cc or bigger saw as we speak. I don't think the 61 is very happy with this work lol..

If you get an 80cc saw I'd give odds that you will want a work saw ported 90cc shortly after a 28" or larger log comes your way.
just the way it seems to go. My avatar shows off the 60" bar alaskan set up. I liked the 50" cannon so well that "just in case" not knowing I'd ever use it ordered the 60". The stump under alaskan required a 72" bar to make another table top. The 6 foot dual powered bar is in the mail from the west coast:happybanana: even tho I've used the 60" only on that ash stump. Better to have & not need than to need and not have! The cannon bar was orderd end of October. :envy: the cut that could have been made would have provided a table that may have covered half or more of my cost for power heads reels of chain and bars due to the unusuality of shape and coloration IMhO just what happens for more than me.

If you get an 80cc saw I'd give odds that you will want a work saw ported 90cc shortly after a 28" or larger log comes your way.
just the way it seems to go. My avatar shows off the 60" bar alaskan set up. I liked the 50" cannon so well that "just in case" not knowing I'd ever use it ordered the 60". The stump under alaskan required a 72" bar to make another table top. The 6 foot dual powered bar is in the mail from the west coast:happybanana: even tho I've used the 60" only on that ash stump. Better to have & not need than to need and not have! The cannon bar was orderd end of October. :envy: the cut that could have been made would have provided a table that may have covered half or more of my cost for power heads reels of chain and bars due to the unusuality of shape and coloration IMhO just what happens for more than me.

Oh you're right about that! As Tim Taylor always said "More Power!"

Back