Remington SL55 clutch removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I understand, the elbow shaped check valve on the cover only keeps the oil in the plunger from running back into the tank. The "fitting" that goes into the crankcase is supposed to be a check valve with a little ball and spring, and its supposed keep the bar oil from filling up the crankcase. I've always just plugged that hole with a pipe plug and used the manual oiler. But I've heard there's a way to use either a Homelite or Lombard duck-bill valve to replace the check valve in the tank and make the auto-oiler work again, not sure how that works as I've never tried.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

ab98cbc5da6cde021de51780c60b0bef.jpg

The elbow (red circle) is just a fitting. No check to it.

The 'pipe plug' is the original Remington check valve. Yellow circle. The rubber duckbill inside has turned to tar and is long gone.

Carefully file off the rolled over edge on the pipe thread end to remove the screen. Then you should see a brass sleeve. Run a #10-24 tap into the brass sleeve until it turns with the tap (get it loose). Pull out the sleeve with the tap or a suitable machine screw. Place a new Poulan/Husqvarna duckbill in the sleeve and press it back in. Bugger it slightly out of round with a hammer if you have to, to make it fit tight.

Reassemble and pray to the Remy gods you got it done correctly.

got a duckbill for the oiler I think will work. Tiny gas tank vent also shot. Any Ideas on that one?

I would remove the tank vent and clean it several times with either carb and choke cleaner or brakecleaner as good as possible and blow it out until either liquid or compressed air passes through it. (Not sure if there's anything to replace that tank vent.) If that doesn't work, some of the older Remys (754's, Logmasters) have a gas cap with a tank vent in it, I've used those on other Remingtons with a plugged tank vent fitting and it works well...

I need to get a new bar and chain. Nothing is listed anywhere for the old remingtons. How do I know what will match up with this?

Attachments

• Bar - Copy.jpg
    Bar - Copy.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 10
Her's how it looks now. Haven't tried to start it yet. Going to get the homelite bar. Thanks.

Attachments

• Muffler.jpg
    Muffler.jpg
    687.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Starter.jpg
    Starter.jpg
    556.2 KB · Views: 16
Back