Saw question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iaff113

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Will running a chain saw WOT under no load give you a chance at burning the saw up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For how long and why would you? In high school we held the throttle wide open on a junk donated car to see how long it would take to blowup. We got bored and gave up, Joe.

Just me and a buddy In a disagreement about it. When we check saws out in the morning. And they are getting run WOT for about 30 sec or so I haven't timed it.

I am not going to crank my saws and let run wot for even 5 sec. How much it actually hurts the saw I dont know, but I know it cant be good for it. I usually crank the saw and set it down for a minute to give it time to warm up. Never did like the Wawawa reving up some folks do. I have 20 year old saws that have never had a screw turned on them and I have bought saws to rebuilt that are only a year or two old. Granted I dont run my saws everyday, but they get ran hard when I do run them.

Yeah I agree I just can't see it being good with no load on the saw

The answer is YES, running with no load at WOT can destroy your saw. I doubt it will happen in 30 seconds, but, as you mentioned, it's a pointless maneuver.

It will take a while. Someone a while back made a video of straight gassing a wild thing while running at full throttle and even that took some time.

I'm of the belief that if there was an engine design that could take extended no-load WOT a chainsaw would be it...but why?

And unless you're a dumbass who thinks that free-revving an engine somehow fixes a poor tune or malfunctioning parts it serves no purpose. Sure, ever time you put a screwdriver to a saw you test it with a short WOT burst to see if you've got the high-side blubber right but that's the only time my saws get screamed out of the wood.

If I read right - running full throttle from a cold start for 30 seconds can make for a cold seize. AKA 4 corner seize.

Better to warm things up slow.

Thanks for the responses. I will share the info.

Thanks for the responses. I will share the info.

Good luck! :)

In my experience, you might be completely right about something, but my word and the backing of many experienced forum members still won't convince some people.

For example: I recently met a young couple with a recently purchased '98 E-350 Econoline, with the 7.3 power stroke. They were so excited that they could stick it to the oil companies and run their van on vegetable oil:omg:. Yes, I told them you can burn vegetable oil in a diesel, but you should not just pour veggie oil in your fuel tank. In addition to other problems, it will gel in the cold Wisconsin weather.

They could barely afford the van in the first place. I told them that unless they do the research and understand what they need to do to run veggie oil in their van, that they were certain to rack up an expensive and unnecessary repair bill. They smiled and nodded.

Saw them a week later and they were so happy to tell me how great the van runs on veggie oil. A little less power they said, but it runs great. Meanwhile, the forecast gets colder...

I wouldn't run any of my chainsaws WOT when cold, but after they have warmed up a little, WOT is the proper way to set the "hi speed" jet on a chainsaw. BUT, that shouldn't take 30 seconds of WOT to do.

All the newer saws have rev limiters, so you can't over speed them anyway.

SR

Depends on the jetting but if that is correct and everything in the saw was tight I would guess you could run it wide open until the piston melted.

I am a firm believer that you should not put a load on a cold two stroke. Back in my MX racing days I would let my bike idle with the occasional blip of the throttle until it was warm. Then I would hold it wide open until it cleared out. That didn't take anywhere near 30 seconds though. Maybe 5 - 10 sec.

Holding a saw wide open with no load for 30 seconds seems like a pointless maneuver to me however I can't see it causing any damage if he saw is tuned correctly. If the saw is set too lean its demise will likely come from that regardless of time spent at WOT, loaded or not.

Holding a saw wide open with no load for 30 seconds seems like a pointless maneuver to me however I can't see it causing any damage if he saw is tuned correctly. If the saw is set too lean its demise will likely come from that regardless of time spent at WOT, loaded or not.
Too lean + WOT no load = Bad news
Carb adjusted correctly + WOT no load = OK

Just recently I adjusted the carb of a vintage saw and ran it WOT for 15 seconds and started hearing a misfire. I shut it down and checked the ignition module. Loose wire discovered. Fixed that connection and ran it again. No misfire. Note that I adjusted the carb first before running it at WOT. Prior to that adjustment, somebody had almost closed off both setscrews. The spark plug was bone dry and the saw would not idle below 5000 RPM.

The colder it is the longer I would let it idle before putting a load on it and cutting wood. Once gets below say zero, the more important this is.

Back