ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Saw score for $25

Discussion in 'Chainsaw' started by Kogafortwo, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Kogafortwo

Kogafortwo AboristSite Guru

But it's not a chainsaw: I picked up an old Sears Craftsman 10" table saw with the fence, table extension, guard, miter gage and stand for $25 today. Had to leave work for an hour to go get it before anybody beat me to it so I worked late to make up.

I figure $25 for one of these in good condition with all the parts was pretty good. Can't wait to start building a couple of little projects I have been putting off 'cause they're too hard to do with a circular saw.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
    2000ssm6 likes this.
  2. 2000ssm6

2000ssm6 Stihl User

Sounds like a good deal, now that feller with his hand sticking out of the chipper, not so good. LOLOLOL.

Kogafortwo likes this.
  3. Dan_IN_MN

Dan_IN_MN Addicted to ArboristSite

Well.....Lets see the saw! Pics required. How old of a Craftsman?

As you can see in my sig...I did get a Chainsaw for $10.00. It's the green thing. That little thing cuts, especially with the 12' bar.

Dan

4. oldsaw

oldsaw "Been There, Milled That"

Not bad. I paid Dad $100 for his late '70s vintage Craftsman TS. Did some tuning (needed it badly), added a Bessemeyer fence, segmented belt, a better blade, and it works pretty well. Made a batch of zero clearance inserts, and have had a ball with it. Need to run 220 to the garage though. A nice 3hp motor with no big voltage drop would be a good thing.

Mark

5. Roy M

Roy M ArboristSite Operative

Does it have the cast table? Heckuva deal if it does. If the fence is at all sloppy don't trust it. Spend some coin on a good one that is easily set and stays true, your fingers will thank you. My buddy and I both learned the hard way.

6. Honkie

Honkie AboristSite Guru

watch them fangers!

7. Bill G

Bill G Addicted to ArboristSite

Yes,:censored:

I watched them today through the blood on a Unisaw.

Bill

8. habanero

habanero AboristSite Guru

I got an mid 70's Craftsman table saw last year for $35. Has cast table, 2 extensions, fence, gauge, etc., but was missing the motor. Figured I got a pretty decent deal even without the motor. Of course I knew Dad had a 1.5 horse motor laying around looking for something to do so I put it to use.

9. Honkie

Honkie AboristSite Guru

Damn Bill, you alright?:jawdrop:

10. Kogafortwo

Kogafortwo AboristSite Guru

back with pix

Here are some pix and details:

Model 113.240421, build code 07 76 (maybe built in 1976?), direct drive motor, cast table (yeah!)
    - blade is an older Freud 24 tooth with a wee bit of face runout, otherwise seems in good shape

Here's what I did to it today:
    - cleaned blade with Simple Green
    - wire brushed the rust off the table & waxed with Turtle wax
    - turned it upside down, cleaned years of scunge out of the screws, lubed them with WD40 and wiped them dry - they work like melted butter now
    - brushed & shop vac'd all the old dust and resins out
    - checked blade alignment with miter slots and figured it was close enough for government work
    - ditto on the 0° bevel setting
    - cleaned up the guard and fence
    - lubed everything that moves
    - clamped a wood scrap at 3/4" to rip a strip to make a fence spacer that was missing, then mounted the fence

It cuts really nice. I ripped and mitered a couple of old pieces of treated lumber I need to frame up the herb garden. I plan to add locking casters to it next.

The fence is cr@p, like everybody said it would be. Someday I will upgrade the fence, also square up the blade alignment and bevel dead stop at zero as perfectly as I can, and maybe build a folding outfeed table that I can swing up into place right from the stand. No need for a dust collection system, I have a high-performance setup from Stihl that works just fine (see picture).

Will build Mrs. Koga42 a nice trellis for the climbing rose and the thornless blackberry vines as soon as I get to it.

11. litefoot

litefoot Addicted to ArboristSite

Looks good. My "better half" is in Charleston as we speak visiting her parents for a couple of days. She was looking forward to a trip to the beach at I of P, but the weather doesn't look to inviting.

12. Bill G

Bill G Addicted to ArboristSite

I am still shaking my head but ole Devin is missing some fingers. I will say that was the lowest I have felt in years when he came to me holding his hand.

Bill