Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Scrounging firewood

Discussion in 'Firewood, Heating and Wood Burning Equipment' started by mainewoods, Feb 23, 2014.

1. LondonNeil

LondonNeil ArboristSite Operative

I thought you guys might appreciate seeing why this Ash has been such a battle (its half or more split now, about 2m3 /little over half a cord so far). As you can see its lovely straight grained and clean stuff

[​IMG] [​IMG]

At least it does split now its a bit drier

2. svk

svk Firewood and Saw Collector

I've frequently seen stump and crotch pieces like that. But if the whole tree is wavy you've definitely got your work cut out for you!

3. Philbert

Philbert Chainsaw Enthusiast

Quite a pain in the ash!

Philbert

Logger nate, Cowboy254, svk and 2 others like this.
  4. tpence2177

tpence2177 ArboristSite Operative

I'm guessing a tree exposed to a lot of wind?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. LondonNeil

Not sure, but i suspect so. it came from a tree guy. the largest pieces are over 30 inch diameter, I've had a huge number of massive crotches, aloough I think the photo'd splits were a straighter round, and almost all of it has had either barbed wire, washing line, chickenwire, brick or concrete in it. I got stitched up on that tree!

It is splitting now, but I'm getting alot of splinterery shards, and a lot of ugly mis-shaped splits. at least the splinters make kindling, and my 19 month old has started helping daddy, she collects these and adds them to the stack as I collect the bigger splits :)

6. Cowboy254

Cowboy254 Amateur wood cutter, married to pro wood burner

Is it softwood - it looks a bit like it from down here. I picked up a load of some variant of cedar and I thought I'd be able to smash it apart no worries. It just absorbed every hit and took ages to gradually convince it to give up. It had a grain that looked a bit similar to your pictures. I turned one into a chopping block, I reckon it should last a while!

MustangMike and farmer steve like this.
  7. KiwiBro

KiwiBro Hold my beer and film this...

With that figure, isn't there a higher purpose for the wood than firewood? I started cutting rings from a gum log a while ago but couldn't split the first few rings because of the grain. The rest of the log got the ends sealed and I'll be back to slab it sometime because the figure in it was intense.

8. Cowboy254

Hey @KiwiBro , you've got some catching up to do.

I trooped out to the Lady Farm today. It was a rubbish day, rained most of the time but held off a bit in the afternoon. I went up and saw an old friend.

22nd Feb 2.jpg

But today I wasn't cutting firewood, I was scrounging bonfire wood. There were lots of branchy bits that didn't qualify for Mt Cowboy but will do for a bonfire. I also had some admirers today.

22nd Feb 1.jpg

I loaded up a trailer load of bluegum crapwood and headed home, or at least I tried. Getting up the muddy ramp proved a problem even in the Lady Farmer ute with 4WD, low range and diffs locked. Three goes later, I squeaked my way out. Didn't get a good picture of the load but you're not missing much.

22nd Feb 3.jpg

Here's one of the bonfire stockpiles after I unloaded, should be a good one come 20th May. There's more in other piles and a large amount of miscellaneous combustible stuff to go in there.

22nd Feb 4.jpg

:)

9. KiwiBro

KiwiBro Hold my beer and film this...

Howdy Cowboy. Will hopefully get time to read more of this thread. It's hard not to admire your scroungyness. Please keep up the good work.

farmer steve and Cowboy254 like this.
  10. MustangMike

MustangMike Addicted to ArboristSite

Ash is very hard, used for baseball bats and shovel handles, etc.

11. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

Cowboy, is that your house in the background? It's a bit blurry, but it looks like a beautiful house, Joe.

12. LondonNeil

Indeed. Over this side of the pond its used for axe and sledge handles a lot, american hickory is rare on our tools. I'm told its the favoured hardwood over here. almost as much heat as oak and it normally splits very easily, my tree is the exception. It grows quickly for a hardwood and one reason its loved for firewood is its dries fast, primarily because it is only about 30% water when growing, most woods are 40% upwards

At least it should be good when i finally get to burn it.

13. aheeejd

aheeejd ArboristSite Lurker

Not really scrounging, its my father in law let's me go down back, backside of field & cut my firewood but just started a couple days ago & figured I'd share. I should have already cut trees down, but last Oct my truck died, between work & cold temps I spent about a month & a half putting in a remanufactured engine, laying in driveway. Anyways, here's a few shots from a few days ago. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

14. Philbert

Philbert Chainsaw Enthusiast

I disagree. You pick that stuff off the forest floor, instead of having it delivered, it counts as 'scrounging'.

Philbert

15. dancan

dancan Tree Freak

No siree Bob , no spruce today , not 1 stick

[​IMG]

Maple , yellow and white birch , all Zoggerwood lol

16. dancan

dancan Tree Freak

I just measured my softwood stack , I'm still burning up here but I've got one cord of softwood left then I'd have to dip into some dry hardwood that I had for next year .
    I've started my next winter's softwood pile , 1 cord stacked , I'm gonna mix this Zoggerwood in the softwood piles .
    I'd better find some more wood .

17. Cowboy254

Ah, I see. You don't learn much about wood just by looking at it, it seems. You have to cut it, lift it, hit it, swear at it, split it and finally burn it before you know it. I'm sure you will enjoy a bit of payback when burning time comes.

I don't know if its the same over there but people in these parts call all sorts of trees all sorts of different things depending on what they've heard or how it looks or what their grandpappy used to call it. There's a eucalypt that grows on elevated areas here commonly called alpine ash, yet Tasmanians call it Tassie oak. It is neither an ash or an oak, so things can get confusing. One person's ash is not necessarily the same as they next person's ash (cue @Philbert ).

18. Cowboy254

I thought you said you had so much wood it was coming out of all sorts of places? :crazy2:

MustangMike likes this.
  19. dancan

dancan Tree Freak

Well , at home you know , not much wood , racks are empty , furnace still going , barely enough hardwood left for the 2019 burn season so I'd best find more wood for home , I don't want to be caught short , might get a Polar Vortex at any time .
    I'll just call the piles at the undisclosed secret locations "Strategic Reserve" lol
    The total count from that houselot will be interesting , 8 cord of Zoggerwood hauled from it so far and not even a dent in that "Strategic Reserve" pile lol
    2cm of snow on the way for tonight ....

MustangMike likes this.
  20. woodchip rookie

woodchip rookie ArboristSite Operative

They break down snow accumulation by centimeters?

CaseyForrest likes this.