Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dolmar 7900, one of these? https://www.radmoretucker.co.uk/pro...rnxFwNIORtmWOvKwMHHGAfnB_1F3sD2gaAkB1EALw_wcB
so I'm guessing 7900 name comes from 79cc? Bit of a beast then.
I guess you could call it a "Bitty Baby Beast":). I only collect saws over 90CC. Although I was in Southern States, a farm and feed store, for Neil. They are also a Stihl dealer, and I bought an MS 170 on sale for $159. It's soooo cute. I don't let it sit next to the 660, I'm afraid it might roll over and squish the poor little thing, Joe.

Ah thanks Philbert. That confused me though as Mastermind is Tennesse and I'd assumed Aotearoa (kiwibro) was NZ, google has told me different so it makes more sense now.
Yeah, Randy - Mastermind - did the work and sent it down. The saw positively snarls at wood. The 7900 may be larger than you anticipated but it's one of if not the lightest saws in that class. There's a chart of actual test data in this thread ( http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/chainsaw-test-data.311035/#post-6284485 ) and you'll see the 7900 stands out in the power to weight category. I've been known to limb all day with the 7900 when the need arises. And I'm not fit. Otherwise, the 241 should be up for sale soon. It's a lovely saw - light and powerful for its weight. 16-18" bar is about its limit though, which may or may not work for you. Either way, shipping from NZ will kill the deal. The last saws I sent overseas were big old collectors saws and it was not a cheap exercise.

The Lady Farmer has asked me to ferry the wood I have cut in the last week out to my place while she sorts out what she is doing in the next couple of weeks. She doesn't want to leave any cut wood on the farm for her ex. I only had time to nick out to the farm for one load this arvo after work before it got dark. I'll hopefully get the rest over the weekend.

23rd Jun 1.jpg

I just chucked it out on the grass and subtracted my wood storage fee:

23rd Jun 2.jpg

I love these peppermint bits. Roughly 3.5-6 inch diameter bits. Bone dry having been dead standing for several years in the upper part of the tree. No need to split, just chuck straight in the fire. Virtually no ash and great coals. Close to locust BTUs. And, ahem, faster to cut with a 460 than .... ah no need to go there.

:)

The Lady Farmer has asked me to ferry the wood I have cut in the last week out to my place while she sorts out what she is doing in the next couple of weeks. She doesn't want to leave any cut wood on the farm for her ex. I only had time to nick out to the farm for one load this arvo after work before it got dark. I'll hopefully get the rest over the weekend.

View attachment 586508

I just chucked it out on the grass and subtracted my wood storage fee:

View attachment 586509

I love these peppermint bits. Roughly 3.5-6 inch diameter bits. Bone dry having been dead standing for several years in the upper part of the tree. No need to split, just chuck straight in the fire. Virtually no ash and great coals. Close to locust BTUs. And, ahem, faster to cut with a 460 than .... ah no need to go there.

:)
You want no firewood custody battles. It can get ugly.

You want no firewood custody battles. It can get ugly.

I hear you. That's why we haven't invited her around lately to see the size of the pile I have cut from her farm. Not only the pile, but there's more dropped off elsewhere on my property. What she doesn't know etc etc.

22nd Feb 3.jpg

There is now a reasonable chance that she will take up a lease on a farm very close to her current farm. If that turns out ok, then I could cut wood for her there, and the wood that has already come home with me can bypass the wood shed and go straight into the fire. As we go through burning season I'll be able to move wood from Mt Cowboy into the shed to make the pile look less conspicuous too.

Im surprised that peaks not snow capped yet. Are you planing on building a ski resort;)
How many years ahead now, you may be able to go into retirement and sell all your saws.

We do get snow here most years, mostly for show and not enough to ski. It would be pretty cool to ski down your own woodpile though I'm not so sure about the sudden stop at the bottom. I'm 4 years ahead now and I hope to live past 45 so not quite time to sell the saws.

LOL
I don't own a saw less than 60cc's! Although, I have considered getting a smaller saw. I would get either a 342xp or a 262. The 262 is also a 60cc saw but they are extremely light.
That's how I was for years. When I worked for my Dad I used a Homelite 1050 with a 24" bar for limbing on the ground. If you set a little saw down some knuckle head would grab it, stick it in the ground, and then put it back. People would walk in big circles around the 1050. It would drive you crazy, you would come out of the tree and set your climbing saw down, go up the next tree, and it would be dull, and nobody would say a word. Now I got that little MS170 and it's fun zipping up twigs, Joe.

Back