Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm hauling the splitter over tomorrow, will start working on all that wood I've cut the last few weeks.

I like the boot on that CountyLine Splitter of yours Mike - I'm guessing it goes into vertical position as well? That thin but solid end boot would make it easy to roll on large rounds when in vertical position, a little easier than mine!

I'll bet it makes short work of those piles waiting for you.

I had the splitter out last night to get started on the wood I have in the back yard. I will probably have a little over the 5 hour breaking period once I am done. Looks like I will be doing a quick oil change this weekend to get the break in oil out and some fresh full synthetic in the hydro. I hope the oil change is simple unlike some of my other small equipment, the freaking lawn tractor is a nightmare with the side mounted oil filter and no space to get anything under the filter to catch the oil, ends up dumping oil all over the frame of the mower.

Waiting for the pics Reid :)

Well, I know this is going to sound like total BS but my phone is cracked. I can only use the top portion of the screen now lol. Can only make calls if someone calls me first. There's no way to access the camera app so most likely no pics. I'm going to switch from Boost (which uses Sprint towers, Sprint sucks!) to Straighttalk. Anyway, that was way too much info.

I had the splitter out last night to get started on the wood I have in the back yard. I will probably have a little over the 5 hour breaking period once I am done. Looks like I will be doing a quick oil change this weekend to get the break in oil out and some fresh full synthetic in the hydro. I hope the oil change is simple unlike some of my other small equipment, the freaking lawn tractor is a nightmare with the side mounted oil filter and no space to get anything under the filter to catch the oil, ends up dumping oil all over the frame of the mower.
I feel ya on that oil drain plug problem. Years ago I piped my riders out a few inches beyond the frame edge then elbowed down, then plug. Still had to take a mandrel/pulley cover off on some to get the oil pan to sit, but it sure beat having to deal with an oil mess and burn through shop rags like there was no tomorrow.

I looked in the manual it looks like the oil drain is on the lower side of the motor. Looks easily accessible and shouldn't be a problem to drain and refill thank fully. I was really worried that the drain was going to be on the bottom and have to drain through the tray that holds the motor.

I am going to take a look at a echo cs400 tonight. We already talked price and agreed on $75 as long as it runs and isnt too beat up, I think I may have a 2 saw plan. Not much reason for a 40cc saw when I have a 50cc saw other than just because. At the price I dont think I can pass it up.

I am going to take a look at a echo cs400 tonight. We already talked price and agreed on $75 as long as it runs and isnt too beat up, I think I may have a 2 saw plan. Not much reason for a 40cc saw when I have a 50cc saw other than just because. At the price I dont think I can pass it up.
...get it while the gettings good for that price. Regardless of current saw inventory. Nothin like a backup to the backup, lol.

NA:
Your correct, no need for a 40cc saw, mine sits in the cellar, unused.
I carry the 32cc on the ATV and the 55cc in the trailer along with the 64cc and if I need the 79cc, I'll drive the ATV back to get it.
Just funing wid you.
A man without a backup is not armed, besides you may need that 40cc to cut the 50cc free. happens all the time.
I pinched the bar yesterday, noodling some large pine rounds. Pulled the wedge out of the hip pocket and saved the day.
And I was using "The Animal", ( Makita 6400, 16" bar, 8 pin rim and a sharp Sthil chain). I luv that saw.

I always carry an extra bar but it is a pain when I get stuck and have to take the current bar off and go and get the spare bar to cut the other bar free. Much easier to just go and get the other saw. As long as it starts and runs and doesnt have any obvious major damage this one is good to go.

I am going to take a look at a echo cs400 tonight.
I like mine. Light, capable saw for limbing, etc. for that price, I would buy it for parts!

I always carry an extra bar but it is a pain when I get stuck and have to take the current bar off and go and get the spare bar to cut the other bar free.
Easier on an inboard clutch/outboard sprocket saw.

Phibert

voice mode ="jakov smirnoff"

In soviet Georgia storm season, scrounge finds YOU (and your stack)(happened minutes ago)

I know what I am doing tomorrow...

Ha! Nice to get to run a saw and not feel guilty from not doing something else that needs doin'..anyway, it's sweetgum so the larger pieces I cut short, then noodled them all in half. If they fit in the smogger, good enough!

Attachments

• IMG_20150702_113447.jpg
    IMG_20150702_113447.jpg
    840.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20150702_113847.jpg
    IMG_20150702_113847.jpg
    781.5 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20150702_120125.jpg
    IMG_20150702_120125.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
  • IMG_20150702_132928.jpg
    IMG_20150702_132928.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 52
Started the day cutting a few more trees, the largest being a 18" hard Maple, and we made a path and rolled 18 rounds of Oak (about 22" each) about 100' out of the woods, then we started in on the splitting. (I previously had cut that Oak after it came down in a storm) At least we made a little dent in the splitting. Those Oak rounds each made 8 nice size split pieces.

Yes Mountain, it does go vertical (and we did use it that way a little today), it has a good cycle time and seems to go though anything I can put in it. I really like it. And check out my modification, used a couple of U clamps to attach a 3' piece of hard Maple for an additional handle. It works especially well if you have a helper, but even when moving it alone it is very helpful, with one hand in the handle it came with and the other hand on the stick. It gives you better leverage, it should come with it!

The wood is mostly Black Birch, Oak (Red & Chestnut), Hard Maple and a little bit of Beech.

Enjoy the pics:

Attachments

• Wood7-2-15 001.jpg
    Wood7-2-15 001.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 45
  • Wood7-2-15 002.jpg
    Wood7-2-15 002.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 50
  • Wood7-2-15 004.jpg
    Wood7-2-15 004.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 46
Well , with you guys out there cutting in the temps you got my hat's to you .
But , I can't let you guys show me up LOL
Here's some wood gathering tools , we pitched these against the lean tonight .

aaShYLT8z-4zpXIhCuayqhQplJnWtQeuvxfdFzr0WtA=w1223-h917-no

Daum spruce trees , lotsa work .

z7RY3HuvMTE_mSx6Gp6O5xz3NaZmnTGiAKf7G-2THvg=w1223-h917-no

Back