Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My thots on the new diesels , "I'd hate to be the guinea pigs testing out the new stuff"
The more technology that they put in the more money that you will put in when out of warranty .
Lots of hard choices to make when looking at new vehicles, lots of expensive stuff and technology that doesn't work when it's a couple of years old .

I got my Hat trick this morning. One of my buddy's grandpa's has a Christmas Tree farm. Its crawling with deer. He shot one at 7:15 I got mine about 7:25. I jumped two in the dark walking in. Then two more after day light trying to get to my "spot", once in my spot I proceeded to spoke two more trying to get my gun aimed on them. Then after he shot his big girl the rest of the heard came trotting my way. I dropped the next biggest. His dad came strolling in about 7:45 thinking he was going to "push" some deer for us, had a big smile on his face when he saw the two deer on the forks of his JD tractor being driven out the woods. It has been a very good season for me after all. A buck and a doe and one last buck tag to go. Oh and the wife let me pick out my Christmas Present at Gander Mountain, hint hint it goes BANG. Thinking a muzzle loader is going to be the next into the gun case.

I got my Hat trick this morning. One of my buddy's grandpa's has a Christmas Tree farm. Its crawling with deer. He shot one at 7:15 I got mine about 7:25. I jumped two in the dark walking in. Then two more after day light trying to get to my "spot", once in my spot I proceeded to spoke two more trying to get my gun aimed on them. Then after he shot his big girl the rest of the heard came trotting my way. I dropped the next biggest. His dad came strolling in about 7:45 thinking he was going to "push" some deer for us, had a big smile on his face when he saw the two deer on the forks of his JD tractor being driven out the woods. It has been a very good season for me after all. A buck and a doe and one last buck tag to go. Oh and the wife let me pick out my Christmas Present at Gander Mountain, hint hint it goes BANG. Thinking a muzzle loader is going to be the next into the gun case.

Not bad! the only bigger buck I have seen around here was an 8 pointer laying in the back of a pickup. I don't hunt but like looking, saw two big does earlier this morning. In the neighbors front yard! hahaha

Get you a Ford F-150. They are the best selling truck for a reason.

I like the style of the Ford trucks but not the gas engines. All of them seem to be gas guzzlers or a bit anemic. If I go gas it will be the Chevy 5.3l.

A bigger bed would help with the payload on the little trucks but nothing that you cannot overcome with a trailer.

Nothing wrong with burning cookies. I made a bunch of cookies tuning saws this year. This is the last of them.

9ea1a40762e7d746c232eb00acc79f0b.jpg

Burning cookies are no big deal. It's the stacking part that I hate.

My neighbor got one of the new colorado's with a gas engine. He said he isn't impressed since it has been back twice in two months. One of the issues was the heater went and sprayed anti-freeze all over the inside on the vehicle and on the windshield. It is rated as 3/4 ton gvw which means he gets to pay more for his registration. It only has a small 5ft bed or at least that is what it looks like.

A small truck with 3/4 ton rating? Guess the 1/2 ton trucks will have to step up their game.

No, this isn't a cummins.

Preliminary test show 28-30 mpg, GM hasn't released it full figures yet though. Those numbers come from magazine guys. It's a 4 cylinder diesel. I believe that it'll due pretty good as the diesel Ram numbers have been pretty impressve.

28 mpg on a truck is fantastic! That's a bit better than my Cadi which I always thought got impressive mpg.

My thots on the new diesels , "I'd hate to be the guinea pigs testing out the new stuff"
The more technology that they put in the more money that you will put in when out of warranty .
Lots of hard choices to make when looking at new vehicles, lots of expensive stuff and technology that doesn't work when it's a couple of years old .

That's true. All the new emissions stuff seems to be ruining the diesel trucks. I would love to buy an old 12v Cummins but they're pretty old now and not easily found.

And a lot of the "high tech" goodies are harder for the owner to diagnose/repair, requiring a trip to the Stealership.

Good for you Matt...filling freezer space. Can't beat that.

My contribution this year for Thanksgiving dinner, instead of just doing normal green bean casserole, I cooked it inside a pumpkin in a cast iron dutch oven in my wood fired 'asador' (grill doesn't quite describe it). It came out quite good. Green bean casserole in the middle, punkin scrapes off easily. Two dishes at once. Fire was a mix of oak, hickory and cherry. Asador is brick, the size of a 55 gallon barrel, (split lengthwise for the cover) chimney on one end with doors and racks for smoking in. I have some pictures, but posting them is above my level. A mystery I have never solved.

Because our kitchen has been in remodeling for several years, we don't have a conventional oven in the house.

My contribution this year for Thanksgiving dinner, instead of just doing normal green bean casserole, I cooked it inside a pumpkin in a cast iron dutch oven in my wood fired 'asador' (grill doesn't quite describe it). It came out quite good. Green bean casserole in the middle, punkin scrapes off easily. Two dishes at once. Fire was a mix of oak, hickory and cherry. Asador is brick, the size of a 55 gallon barrel, (split lengthwise for the cover) chimney on one end with doors and racks for smoking in. I have some pictures, but posting them is above my level. A mystery I have never solved.

Because our kitchen has been in remodeling for several years, we don't have a conventional oven in the house.
Cool...I'd like to see some pics when ya figure out the pic dilemma. Sounds damn good.

Spent the day at the scrounge site. Got the top of the oak taken care of and the smaller broken trees all cut up. While in the woods a saw a 80% dead ash so I took it, then another and another and another. Little brother will be getting those. Then it was time to cut what may be the last tree of the scrounge. Set a rope, block and tackle, and put the truck in position. This was a one man cutting, pulling show today. Tree fell right where I wanted it.

Attachments

• 20151127_130739.jpg
    20151127_130739.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
  • 20151127_130730.jpg
    20151127_130730.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40

Please find an 8yr old to help you with the pics , we want to see another way to use our scrounged up wood :)

Back