Sequoia Tree Advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boon

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been offered a Sequoia tree for milling and am hoping someone will be able to give advice on how the tree behaves once milled and if the timber has more desirable uses other than slabs for table tops. This one is roughly 2 feet wide.

You might look here for more info...http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/softwoods/redwood/
A 24" diameter tree is a junior for that species so your growthrings are not going to be tight,also its not going to be very rot resistant. When milling keep in mind that it does not like dull planner blades. For smaller trees like yours usually there is a good color distinction between the heartwood and sapwood..
Post some pics when done.

G Vavra

You might look here for more info...http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/softwoods/redwood/
A 24" diameter tree is a junior for that species so your growthrings are not going to be tight,also its not going to be very rot resistant. When milling keep in mind that it does not like dull planner blades. For smaller trees like yours usually there is a good color distinction between the heartwood and sapwood..
Post some pics when done.

G Vavra

Great page and info
Pics ? Willdo

Cut it up- you'll like it. It's very stable with negligible warp, twist or shrink.
If you can get the bark off do so as it has a tendency to gum up chains and blades.

It was downed a few days b back and the heart wood looks great. Will debark and post some pictures

I turned up to two logs one on an incline and the other on the flat, thought I could move the smaller one around with ease but for its size was very heavy.
20150720_085402[1].jpg

Calisdad you are right cutting the end off the log and already the bar started to clog the bark is different to our trees here, its a kind of fluffy velvet coating with the inner layers becoming denser. I didn't have time to peel it all the way down to the soft wood so removed the lighter surface

20150720_101400[1].jpg

first cut

20150720_113138[1].jpg 20150720_115341[1].jpg

Attachments

• 20150720_101416[1].jpg
    20150720_101416[1].jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
Wow- I bet that's heavy. I should dry out quickly though. You got a nice smooth cut. What kind of chain are you running?
Most of the western red cedar I get to cut is dry or almost dry. Some of it is fire salvage so it's a pretty dirty job. I use a draw knife where my next cut will be. On the bottom half of the log I sometimes just chalk a line and cut off a piece with my skilsaw.
I while back a friend of mine who used to mill big redwoods in Big Sur told me to turn my handle around. I like it that way. I just grab the handle and lean on my elbow with my hip- if you can picture that.
Here's a pic of the kind of cedar I'm working with and another how it looks with a clear satin finish.logs dec 2014 002.JPG table 007.JPG

Wow- I bet that's heavy. I should dry out quickly though. You got a nice smooth cut. What kind of chain are you running?
Most of the western red cedar I get to cut is dry or almost dry. Some of it is fire salvage so it's a pretty dirty job. I use a draw knife where my next cut will be. On the bottom half of the log I sometimes just chalk a line and cut off a piece with my skilsaw.
I while back a friend of mine who used to mill big redwoods in Big Sur told me to turn my handle around. I like it that way. I just grab the handle and lean on my elbow with my hip- if you can picture that.
Here's a pic of the kind of cedar I'm working with and another how it looks with a clear satin finish.View attachment 436957 View attachment 436958

oohh that is nice!

I am running Oregon chain full chisel and full comp. The rakers are set 5.5 and top plate angle of 15 degrees BUT I feel the raker angles could be greater say to about 7 degrees. The wood was quiet wet and more of a pulp came out rather than cutting chips. The small log has not been posted yet but that chain was semi chisel, full comp and again 15 degrees and a raker angle of 7 degrees some good chips came out.

That's some pretty stuff.

I need to sort out my chain. I'm getting lots of dust, maybe because the wood is so dry? I'm using a Woodland rip chain @ 10 degrees but I'm sharpening with an electric wheel grinder and I measured the angle it drops in at and its 30 degrees. The only time I get ribbon chips is when I go through a knot.

That's some pretty stuff.

I need to sort out my chain. I'm getting lots of dust, maybe because the wood is so dry? I'm using a Woodland rip chain @ 10 degrees but I'm sharpening with an electric wheel grinder and I measured the angle it drops in at and its 30 degrees. The only time I get ribbon chips is when I go through a knot.
Bobl and some other guys helped me out getting the chains going a max performance, since then I have not looked back, milling is a much better experience!
here is the link to my thread http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/hook-angle.267973/

full comp and again 15 degrees but a raker angle of 7 degrees some good chips came out on this log. The last cut on the first log must have hit a rock on one side only of the chain as the first cut on the smaller log went AWOL, downwards into it. I could not work out what was happening at first and decided to change chains. Previously when I've hit nails etc in a cut the chain speed slows down and not dived up or down in the cut. Live and learn.
The photos stopped when I was trying to work out what was going on, this morning took some before stacking.
20150720_141129.jpg second from the right is the board the mill decided to do its own thing on, next board has a slight imperfection from it
20150721_144508.jpg
Although I got chips coming out the cut is a bit rougher
20150721_144403.jpg
all in all am happy with what came out
20150721_144453.jpg

I'm sharpening with an electric wheel grinder and I measured the angle it drops in at and its 30 degrees. The only time I get ribbon chips is when I go through a knot.

Use a file and a file guide. I used to run the chains through a grinder only, now if I use a chainsaw grinder it is to either even up the length of the cutters or take alot off in one go after hitting an object. Seems more time consuming but the results are worth it.

what do you mean by turning the handle around ??

Thanks for the link. I'll have to give my chains a good look to see what I'm actually getting but as you said: "suppose it is one of those things you don't quiet get until it is put into practice." I've only been concerned with top plate angle and raker depth.

In I think your 4th pic you show the mill ready to cut the log. The handle is the black one that so conveniently holds the 'sqwrench'. I turned mine around 180 degrees so I'm farther away from the saws heat and exhaust. If your mill self feeds it's not an issue. It seemed awkward when I first picked it up but I like it now, especially as it was in the high 90's last week.

In I think your 4th pic you show the mill ready to cut the log. The handle is the black one that so conveniently holds the 'sqwrench'. I turned mine around 180 degrees so I'm farther away from the saws heat and exhaust. If your mill self feeds it's not an issue. It seemed awkward when I first picked it up but I like it now, especially as it was in the high 90's last week.
yep, got it will have a look and try.

What will you make with the logs once milled?

2 dogs are better than 1 :yes:

Here's a pic of the kind of cedar I'm working with and another how it looks with a clear satin finish.View attachment 436957 View attachment 436958

The only person I know who mills redwoods near Big Sur is Tom Little Bear Nason.

There are two "redwood" trees native to the west coast of the USA. The sequoia sempervirens is a coastal tree the is commonly logged. It is also the current tallest tree at around 380' tall. There is also the sequoia gigantia (sp) (botanical name may have changed) That grow in the Sierra Nevada mtn range in the lower elevations. It is no longer harvested. The tree you have appears to be this species judging by the growth rings. It does not make good lumber but does work OK for garden benches and the like. I would imagine it would also make nice interior siding. I will post a few pics of a 7' giant sequoia we milled a few years ago. The guy in the pics is not me. I'm much more handsome. And a lot fatter.

yep, got it will have a look and try.

What will you make with the logs once milled?

2 dogs are better than 1 :yes:

What will I make? Good question. I just like to have it around in the shop and not have to pay ridiculous prices for it. It always seems to get used up.
Yeah- my dogs keep me busy.

2Dogs- I used to live by Tom in Cachagua but can't say I know him. In the 70's the south coast was filled with woodcutters. I was referring to Jimmy-James Peyton.
That old growth stuff like in your pic is gorgeous. We used to get it by the truck load wrapped in waxed paper. I think it was out of La Honda.

This one is of me working up a blowdown. This is 10 miles north of Big Sur on the slipperiest hillside in Monterey county. All these trees are native sequoia sempervirens. This is as far south as these redwoods grow.

Everyone who has a coastal redwood thinks they have a goldmine. Sorta like the Very Valuable Walnut Log video on youtube. This beauty had multiple hearts and inclusions. We felled and milled it for the guy (brand new homeowner) and while he was happy he really should have just bought lumber at the store. This is not an uncommon second growth tree.

What will I make? Good question. I just like to have it around in the shop and not have to pay ridiculous prices for it. It always seems to get used up.
Yeah- my dogs keep me busy.

2Dogs- I used to live by Tom in Cachagua but can't say I know him. In the 70's the south coast was filled with woodcutters. I was referring to Jimmy-James Peyton.
That old growth stuff like in your pic is gorgeous. We used to get it by the truck load wrapped in waxed paper. I think it was out of La Honda.
Yeah a lot of timber used to come out of La Honda. If you lived in Cachagua I assume you were growing weed cause I don't think anything else happened there.;) Tom is a great guy, he has a major project going on now removing the dam on the Carmel river. In fact he offered me a job a month ago but I am too busy during the summer. He still has his Alaskan mill with the two Stihl 090g's that he bought new in 1976 IIRC. He has a TON of nice equipment nowadays. He is a chief in the Esselen tribe.

Every year I used to hunt pigeons on Chews ridge. I hunted deer a few times out of China camp too.

Back