Serial number help with an old 044

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fulton1

Reaction score
Newb here and I'm looking at picking up a used Stihl 044. Complete serial number is 11287411000 according to the owner and I'm trying to determine whether this is a 10mm or 12mm wrist pin saw. As I understand it the 1128 designates it as an 044. The remainder of the serial # would then be 7411000, which would put it prior to the x29583701 cutoff point and would make this an older variant with the 10mm wrist pin. Am I doing this right or am I missing something?

FWIW, label just reads "Stihl 044". No "Magnum".

A couple of "key indicators" that a 044 has a 10mm wrist pin is the master control switch is red and the top of the cylinder is flat. On the 12mm pin models the master switch is black and the top of the cylinder has additional vertical fins. This is not always 100% reliable because the piston is the only part that is not interchangeable, meaning you can use a 12mm style cylinder with a 10mm piston.

your serial number is'nt right ,this is where it will be
attachment.php

Yes, 11287411000 is not a serial number. I wouldn't mind betting it is actually supposed to be 11287911000, in which case it is the moulded number found on the rear handle assembly (which all 044s with the same tank will have).

According to Stihl the 10mm crank was used up to X 29 583 701 (In IPL)

Whereas the 12mm crank was used from X 29 382 283 (In tech note)

:msp_confused: (yes they appear to be the "wrong way round")
(I wouldn't mind betting the serial numbers in between either don't exist or belong to a different model, so either number could probably be used to differentiate?)

I also have come across a couple apparently original 044s with serial numbers X 30... which had cylinders with angled top fins and 12mm cranks...

A couple of "key indicators" that a 044 has a 10mm wrist pin is the master control switch is red and the top of the cylinder is flat. On the 12mm pin models the master switch is black and the top of the cylinder has additional vertical fins. This is not always 100% reliable because the piston is the only part that is not interchangeable, meaning you can use a 12mm style cylinder with a 10mm piston.

Thanks again for this tip. The owner has not responded to my request for the "correct" serial number, but in his pics I see that it has a red control switch. Too bad because it looks like its in nice shape.

I guess the question for you guys is, assuming I'm just planning to leave the saw stock should I really be concerned about the 10mm pin?

+1 on the 10mm being the better saw. I've owned 10 and 12mm versions of this saw and found the 10mm just that bit more eager. If I ever found another 10mm in good condition I'd pay nearly new price for it. Definitely my favourite saw ever.

Shaun

Latest posts

Back