Need help with Stihl 044 manuf date

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

col56

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Could somebody out there help this old fellow ? I have a old Stihl 044 with the old type filler caps that take a scrench with serial number 119516009.

Any info on manufacture date I would appreciate. Also would this be a 10mm ?

Could somebody out there help this old fellow ? I have a old Stihl 044 with the old type filler caps that take a scrench with serial number 119516009.

Any info on manufacture date I would appreciate. Also would this be a 10mm ?
Very likely a 10 mm with a serial number that low as the changeover to 12 mm was around 29583701.

I thought so by the serial number but wasn’t dead sure

Now if someone could sssist me on date if manufacture .********

In case someone here is wondering …. I called Stihl in VA the other day about a MS361.

Me.. miss, could you run a serial number for me on a MS361 for date of manufacture?

Woman (who had strong India accent) I cannot do that.

I hung up. I called right back and got a guy this time … strong India accent. Sir could you run serial number for me ?

Man… run a number … I don’t understand. I said can you look up the date of manufacture of a MS361 ? Put me on hold and came back on and said we don’t make a 361. I hung up completely frustrated.

I have the upmost confidence in this site and the knowledge from you guys.

I have gone through a good many of these saws, building them often from chassis on up and your serial number rings in from the 1988 era made in Germany The serial can be off+ or- a year though. The way most serials are used to date a saw is from Stihl`s registration program, if the saw was registered at the point of sale there will be a date registered in Stihl`s data base for warranty claims.

I work at a shop, put that SN for your 044 into the two places I know to get a date of manufacture, the saw was either never registered or is too old to be in Stihls system. I’m guessing it’s too old.

Stihl has a nice parts lookup feature when you put the SN in it gives you a month and year of manufacture but it only works with saws that have the MS in the model number. Like an MS 440 will pop up but an 0-series saw like an 044 will not because of how old the saw is.

If you post the SN of the 361 I can check it out. All 362’s come up, but an older 361 may or may not, like I said most saws that have the MS come up

Latest posts

Back