Shrink rates...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeckSetter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So day I were to put something together, for example a picnic table, with wood pegs instead of screws or bolts. If it were put together before the milled boards were dry, would it still work apart? Or would it just draw together tighter on the pegs?

That depends on the construction. First of all, I would dry the pegs (you could do it overnight in the oven at around 200 degrees & leave the oven door cracked open). That way, they'll tighten. The boards shrink very little lengthwise, so no worries there. Width and thickness will be your biggest problems, and you may have issues with cupping, as well. My recommendation would be one peg in the center of each table top board to allow it to "float" as it dries. Another trick is to slot the peg and put in wedges (both ends). If you have a blind hole, you will drive the wedge into the peg as you drive the peg against the bottom of the hole. When the peg is in place, drive a wedge in the top slot. If the peg comes loose, just drive in a thicker wedge. Hope this all makes sense.

I'm assuming the picnic table is going to be outside. I wouldn't put the board tight together and expect them to stay tight. The type of wood would have a lot to do with the way I dealt with shrinkage/ warping . Width, thickness, center cut, quartersawn, plainsawn would also be important. Figure and knots could come into play also, depending on the type of wood. Personally I do my best not to try to manipulate wood into situations that I know wont work. With a little more information it would be easier to give a better answer. I hope this helps.

Back