Snellerized Saws Meets the Stihl MS261C II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reduction of cooling fin mass is annoying. I'm sure Stihl's R&D knew what they were doing though.

Just keep in mind that with the advent of cheap, ubiquitous, thermal imaging that engineers have far more information than they ever used to. The design change may not just reduce mass, but may have better thermal characteristics than the old, beefier design.

Why isn't the modded 261 spanking the modded 241? In stock form, on paper, the 261 has about 30% more power than the 241, yet it loses that advantage in modded form, costs more, and is still heavier?

Or does a stock 241 still spank a stock 261 in the real world, regardless of what the specs say?

I have 2 elite dealers within 11mi. or less who both have the new model on their shelves.
That's good to know, thanks SCH!

Do you know what the factory HP rating is? I can't find anything, anywhere, about this new model. I would also like to know what it's new designation is, if it has changed at all.

Why isn't the modded 261 spanking the modded 241? In stock form, on paper, the 261 has about 30% more power than the 241, yet it loses that advantage in modded form, costs more, and is still heavier?

Or does a stock 241 still spank a stock 261 in the real world, regardless of what the specs say?

That's a really good question.

That's good to know, thanks SCH!

Do you know what the factory HP rating is? I can't find anything, anywhere, about this new model. I would also like to know what it's new designation is, if it has changed at all.

Off the top of my head I don't recall the HP nos., but I do remember the KW ratings. 261 (original): 3.8KW 261C (M-tronic): 3.9KW 261C (lighter wt. M-tronic): 4.0KW

Off the top of my head I don't recall the HP nos., but I do remember the KW ratings. 261 (original): 3.8KW 261C (M-tronic): 3.9KW 261C (lighter wt. M-tronic): 4.0KW

?

Those must be the BHP numbers and not the kW. 4 kW = 5.36 BHP I wish! :)

aussie cattle dog says the old 261C is 3kw and the 241c is 2.3kw.(1 hp diff) i got one of each but havent used them yet back to back. the 261c is ported and the 241c is only MM. for what it is, the little 241 is an awesome fighter. i really love that saw.

So I took a little ride to the "big city" yesterday and found myself at a saw shop. (Purely by accident of course) Not only did they have the new version of the 26, they also had......Wait for it......the new version of the 36 which I didn't know existed.

The 26 felt like a feather with a 20" bar, loved it. It's official weight on the Stihl tag was 10.8 Lbs with 4.0 BHP The thought of having a 10lb saw with 4 plus hp after having Brad work his magic on it is VERY appealing. This would be a slam dunk decision, but then Stihl had to throw the new 36 into the mix. Welcome to my world...Lol! The good news for me is; I have until this fall/winter to figure this out. I have NO desire to be running a chainsaw unless I have to when it's supposed to be 106 degrees within the next week. This new 26 puts my 26/46 combo idea back into play.

The new 36 has 4.69 BHP (same) but now weighs 12.3 Lbs I realize we're only talking about a half a pound, but ounces = pounds and pounds = pain. I'm now more confused than ever...lol...26/46 combo or 36/66....decisions, decisions. The 36 weighs another pound and a half over the 26 but has a few advantages in my eyes. .75 more hp, a superior anti-vibe set-up, and the fact that I can use the same 20" bar and chain combo on a 66. I would reeeeeally like to see what Brad could squeeze out of this puppy before deciding.

Btw, what the hell is wrong with Stihl and whoever is responsible for their website and marketing?

-Pat

This thread already shows what he can "squeeze out of it". When you say 26, I assume you mean 261.
Likewise for 36 meaning 362?
I am with you re: cutting in super hot weather. I don't even like to cut @ 70deg. unless there is cloud cover. I know this sound wimpy, but I've had heat exhaustion before which is no fun at any age, much less where I'm at now!
LOL Re-reading this post before entering it, I also omitted the 1 in the 261!

Latest posts

Back