So what did you do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yep maybe mastermind will pick it up because i don't have the room and i already got a limbing saw

Back to 40deg. here.
Making up a cord to power a heater for the garage/shop.
ruminating on getting a 1/4" m18 fuel impact driver cause i have not bought a new tool in a while.

Responded to a structure fire this morning at 5 am...-17 degrees. Then worked on frozen sewer and water lines the rest of the day. Pretty ****** day..pun intended

Picked up a chain and mix at the Stihl dealer, and the rest from the Post Office.
Most of the parts are for my MS170. The other filter and plug is for my 021.
uploadfromtaptalk1425695954790.jpg

I cut down Loblolly Pine all day long. Could have easily dropped a thousand of them, not sure. The diameters ranged from 0.5" to an occasional 6"+ . Sometimes I had to cut Water, Willow, or Southern Red Oak mostly coming off stump sprouts. Dry site red-oak-group sprouts are one of my least favorite things to cut, ever.

I was releasing Longleaf Pine. Since the Loblolly grow so aggressively, many of the Longleaf were suppressed in the shade and thus rather spindly. So there was a lot of directional felling because if I hit a Longleaf, it could easily break. I did break one branch off one, so it was a pretty good day with no Longleaf cut accidentally either, though that is more common with the clearing saw.

I ran my 346XP all day, tank after tank, and it got-r-done like a champ. Normally I would do this work with a clearing saw, but the other day I had set it down to go get the fuel can, and a cut stem hanging in another tree came loose and fell on the paddle trigger, probably snapping the spring inside the handle or some other tiny part I've never been any good at fixing. Needs a new throttle cable, I am told, but don't have time to wait for the parts to arrive, and I am skeptical a hard hit on the trigger could wreck the whole cable.

The section I did today is probably better for the chainsaw with all that careful felling, but all I have left is a pure Loblolly section where the water table is up at the surface - and thus a jungle of every kind of brier and thorn and vine and vines with thorns. I'm not looking forward to to trying to use a chainsaw in that mess tomorrow.

Block up a trunk left for me. After 5 cuts the chain was glued to the bar with sap. I ported 441 couldn't budge it. Spend then next half hr cleaning the saw, chain and bar. Lol. Oh well! Them's the breaks.

159340544.udxz8kZN.jpg

Back