So what did you do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I boxed up a saw that I sold and mailed it today. Finished up my Homelite Super XL and put it in some wood, sounded real good when it 2cycled in the cut. Having a slight bit of trouble idling but I didn't rebuild the carb. I turned it all different directions while it was running and it didn't speed up or slow down so I don't think it has any air leaks. I may go ahead and clean the carb when I get some time..

Didn't get to mushroom hunt today, did a few honey-dos, had to replace a shingle on the roof that blew off, wife's been after me for about a year to get rid of our aluminum cans and cleaned up my push mower decks from mowing last week. Tomorrow a buddy of mine and I are planning to go to the flea markets, might be a saw or two there with a little luck..

I got my lawnmower hung up trying to mow the swamp which is supposed to be my yard..

I helped my neighbor across the road with a similar problem last week. His John Deere zero turn got stick in the mud in the ditch that runs along our road. He had a buddy drop by with a supposed 4WD pickup truck. Buddy backed his truck down the incline towards the mower. Buddy's truck tranny was apparently FUBAR, since only the 2 rear wheels were spinning. His tires chewed through the grass & down into the muddy ground beneath.

I let them work for a while, then went across the road & offered a couple tow straps & the use of one of our Subarus. Never used the Subies, since he had another buddy already on the way with an old Geo Tracker (4WD). Finally used the Geo tracker & my tow straps to pull the pickup truck out of the way. Once that was done, it was an easy thing to pull the mower out of the mud. 4WD is a good thing!

As to what I did today, I picked up a used, broken, generator from Craigslist recently for $50. We've had our baby generator here at home for 9 years. It came in very handy back ~2008 during the 10 day long hurricane Ike-related power outage.

I've wanted to get a backup to our backup generator ever since (sort of a "1 is none, 2 is 1" thinking), but didn't want to spend $$$ for another generator. So when I saw a 3500/4000 watt portable generator listed saying basically that the generator engine starts right up & runs fine, but it didn't produce electricity, I decided to grab it for $50. If nothing else, it would give me a replacement engine/carb/whatever for our existing generator. Almost all the small generators now are made in China and sold under a variety of labels. Their parts are interchangeable.

So I picked it up about 10 days ago, then spent some time trying to figure out what was broken on it. In looking online at diagnosing generator problems, I eventually figured out that the AVR (automatic voltage regulator) component had gone bad. I ordered one from eBay (out of China) for about $17, including shipping. It arrived yesterday, and I installed it this morning.

Success!

Nah, I just kept rocking it back and forth, just like snow. This is a zero turn mower, you don't even want to get close to mud or a hillside because no traction=no steering either..
And I thought you were speaking of a push mower...

:D

Zero turn is definitely not for mowing in ditches. I've pulled my neighbor out of the ditch before also. I use a Lawn Boy magnesium push mower for the ditch, really lightweight.
Beats a pond we have had to pull a zero turn from a pond once.....

Started to take down this tree that has been shading my wife's gardens. Nice tree, but it has to go. I'm about half done... Had a little rain delay late this afternoon, and I had all my gear out in the yard.

IMG_2283.jpg After a little low branch trimming.IMG_2290.jpg
Nice shot with the Big Shot to get this rope set up here. Minimal hassle. Sometimes it's not so easy, and I'm not so lucky!

IMG_2292.jpgIMG_2294.jpg
Before limbing the easy ones. After limbing the easy ones.
IMG_2295.jpg
Some of the remaining are going to need to be rigged down, due to the house/boat. Job for tomorrow.

Did a bunch of test cuts on a hard maple log..... 365/372 "OEM", 365/372 "Farmertec 52mm BB", 2166/372 old style "OEM" , 372 "Huztl", Stihl 460 (OEM), Farmertec 660.......put them on video back to back to back using the same B&C on all the Husqvarna 372 derivatives.... then decided not to post it. Fish eye effect on the video is a bit awkward.... I'm fat, but not THAT fat! Going to have to re-shoot all of it! About 4 hours worth....

Thunder over Louisville Air Show.
Lil'-man and I stayed till the P-51 demo was complete.
http://thunderoverlouisville.org/
http://thunderoverlouisville.org/in-the-air/
We threw the bikes in the back of the truck and parked near enough. One way to negotiate the crowd control. We're home now and will watch the fireworks on TV. We brave the crowds @ night every few years. Tonight will be a first for LED lights on the K&I pedestrian bridge. Lights will be synced to the music. Enough flashing lights tonight to make you think you're back in the 60's

Went down this morning and helped my cousin fix the roofs on a set of dugouts where his little boy plays ball. We are both Union Carpenters but haven't worked together for quite a while. Was awesome to hang with him and bust out some work. Plus I got to smoke a few of his premium cigars. Just did 50 on the Harley. All in all its been a great day.

This stinking 181XP Husky put a knot on my lower leg the size of a hardball! Tried to drop start it without b/c on, fresh rebuild, gas squirt into carb. All I could get was about 3 revolutions, SLOW. NO starty! Then wham! A bare bar stud hit my leg.

Husky Critters:(:angry:

Back