Sound off! Saws we love to hate!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As much as I bash my Husky 137, it's been a fairly decent saw. Despite burning up mufflers and running out (or leaking) bar oil before running out of gas, if it's ether the hottest or the coldest day of the year, she starts right up without much trouble usually. I primarly use it now for work where the chain may come in contact with dirt or metal. And if the chain gets wrecked, I just pick up a 2 pack for $15 at Menard's.

Last edited:
Friend of mine had a farm boss he bought as a second saw, cause all the other farmers told him this was the saw. It would barely run when it did, it was at dealer more than his home. Finally after spending more money at dealer, (after warranty) than the saw was new, and a day of drinking, they made a real boat anchor out of it. drained out both tanks fill them with lead for molding bullets, burned a hole with torch near nose of bar for caribiner snap. It is now for the last 5 years an official boat anchor for their duck hunting boat. The best thing about it is that people love it, they have made about a dozen more out of various saws for people.

That is hilarious. :ices_rofl::ices_rofl::ices_rofl::ices_rofl: Now I know what to do with all those free blown up wild thingies!!

man the 009 bashing hurts. a couple weekends ago i went camping with the 009 and 056 and some buddys. my cousin was running the 056 on 18" oak and i got bored so i fired up the 009 and went at it. no it wasnt nearly as fast but it ripped it up for such a little saw. Long live the 009!

I like my 011. Same family as the 009, and yes it does rip for such a little guy.

What's with all the 009 bashing? My father has one that was handed down by my grandfather.

That little saw rips. Sure it won't take down a large tree, but Stihl didn't intend them for that. And the handles are a little strange.

We've used it many times to buck small logs for firewood. It sure is a screamer.

Feel the love for the Stihl 009

My Stihl 009 was my first saw - I now blame it for my present collection - which will include a Husky 181 SE when it arrives - Personally I love it, I have cut through 18" dia English seasoned Oak with it after I trashed the chain on my 345 - handled it with ease and only has a 12" bar!
It is light, well balanced and you can use it in awkward places where a heavier larger saw would be a liabillity.
Bad points - no AV, air filter gets blocked quickly and the big end bearing hs no cage so all the needles fall out if you take the jug off but appart from that - lay off the 009, it has a place in my heart and my collection!

:cheers:

Spud

I like Macs--easy to work on, good runners, love the parts interchangeability. But....

They are the only saws that ever kick me when starting. Super 44, SP125, kart 101B. I dread starting those.

Still, I perservere because they are old work horses.

Chris B.

I know of a guy who bought an MTD yard-machines saw less than a year ago,2008 model. Made in Taiwan. oil pump went took it to shop for warranty, parts NLA. Took it back to store for refund.:buttkick:

There's so many... Husky 142 and 455 Rancher are the biggest pieces of junk I've ever put my hands on. I've used them both and omg. I'd rather have the flame Poulan or the Wild thing any day.

:popcorn:

:cry::cry:you dont like my husky 142 :cry::cry:

eh, I cut a cord a year. I dont know enough about saws to know whats bad about my saw.

Whats wrong with the 334t? Other than the oil and gas cap are a pain to get to.
I have had mine for about a year and a half now, and have cut about 7 cord with it, but I also don't use it to make a living.(8-10hrs. a day, every day)
Maybe I don't know any better, it replaced a xl2 auto.
Couldn't justify 500 for a 200t, and was not buying a flippin' echo.

Whats wrong with the 334t? Other than the oil and gas cap are a pain to get to.
I have had mine for about a year and a half now, and have cut about 7 cord with it, but I also don't use it to make a living.(8-10hrs. a day, every day)
Maybe I don't know any better, it replaced a xl2 auto.
Couldn't justify 500 for a 200t, and was not buying a flippin' echo.

Every 334 I've used had low power and would not stay running. I'd spend more time pulling on the saw to start it then I would cutting with it. It was faster just to use my handsaw!

I just love my neighbors WildThinggy...

I love it when it starts smoking the bar and the chain keeps falling off, love it when it acts up in any way WildThinggies will, and the vocabulary he has for them!

And he hates it when he sees that it cracks me up! :cheers:

He dose love to tell the story how he has 5 chainsaws all cost him under $100 dollars total.

Outrageous!!

Man that perked me up from the floor! :clap:

Last edited:
I have to agree with the comments on anything made in China, pretty much crap. Also hate the Poulans, the new Homelites, new Sears, BlueMax, Wild Thing. There are a lot of junk saws out there.

I also hate underpowered saws with long bars, too long for the engine, with skip chain to make up for the lack of power.

Without a doubt, the Poulan/Craftsman :censored: with chrome pistons and plain aluminum cylinders are trash. Wait, isn't that a Wildthing in different colors?
Anybody know if the Jonsered CS2138 has the chrome piston, aluminum cylinder? I have a craftsman 42/18, and Poulan Pro PP4218AVX all of which are very similar. Read the post by excess650, so thought this might be the right thread to post.

They should put a warning on the 350 Husqvarna. Something like "This is a piece of :censored:"

I'd like to get rid of the Husqi but I'd have to give it away. I couldn't sleep at night if I charged someone for it. The engine looks like it would make a nice power plant for an RC plane. Maybe that's what I'll use it for.

I'll pay shipping and a case of beer!!!

Anybody know if the Jonsered CS2138 has the chrome piston, aluminum cylinder? I have a craftsman 42/18, and Poulan Pro PP4218AVX all of which are very similar. Read the post by excess650, so thought this might be the right thread to post.
I have the Poulan 4218 AVX.. MISERABLE thing.. a couple tanks through it, certainly on the original chain, scored pison/cylinder, awful to tune with the strato carb. I think the engine of the poulan 260 looks like it would fit, and that would be an upgrade since it has a standard carb setup... Unfortunately the 260 I have has all the same ailments as the 4218.. I have a PP 255 with no body left that seems to be in mint condition inside, though the clutch threads are buggered.. That would make a great aircraft engine.. especially with an expansion chamber and some port work, though it wouldn't last long.

I hate anything that's designed for homeowner use... plastic everythings. Homelite 48cc with tool less chain adjuster is MISERY,,.. impossible to not have the bar wobble, but they respond to a muffler mod nicely.

All the homeowner saws respond to the garbage compactor best.. now I don't know a whole lot about the stihls, but you give me any old husky with a good body and I'll have that thing running like a champ in no time.

Latest posts

Back