Thoughts on Makita DCS34 (Dolmar PS-34)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

altatim

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm considering getting one of these saws but I want to know what there is to know first. I've never used or been acquainted with a dolkita but it was my understanding that this was a small mag-case saw.
What's a good price point on these? I am wanting a small limbing saw to hand off to my wife while bucking up trees and while I have my share of 50cc saws for that, this little saw can be had for pretty cheap and it looks like a promising one.

I think I answered my own question, turns out its a clamshell model and I had it confused with the dolmar ps401 which is actually what I was looking for.

3601 is the one to look at. It seems very few left at this time. A dual reed valve stratified charge design with an engine module which is cylinder on case not clamshell in a plastic housing kind of like the Stihl ms150 in construction. If you can get past the tool less chain adjuster and clutch cover removal and lack of an oil filter sinking on a line in the oil tank.

Yeah thats what I thought it was like. I haven't seen one of those on local buy/sell sites during my search yet, a few of the 40-50cc makitas have showed up but all still are in the 13-14lb total weight for a saw. I'm not even set on Makita, but I know they make some oddball sized saws. Something that is in the 10-11 lb range with b&c is what I'm searching for. Also trying to avoid a clamshell design but that might not be possible.

Back