Splitter Lift Valve Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave G.

Reaction score
Hi fellows, found this site looking for answers. I added a log lift to my old splitter because of back issues. Bought a Prince LS3000 to control the lift. Coupled that valve to an existing Brand 3000 lb valve. Used a high pressure 3/4 nipple between the Brand out and Prince in ports. Ran 3/8" hoses to a 2" x 24" jack. Problem is when activating lift valve, the splitter valve opens thus driving splitter jack also. Is there anything I can do to solve this. I am not a hyd. mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if this helps but I added another valve to my DHT splitter for a log lift. So that it goes
Pump out to
Control valve 1 in (splitter control)
Control valve 1 out to
Control valve 2 in (lift control)
Control valve 2 out back to tank
Tank back to pump

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know if this helps but I added another valve to my DHT splitter for a log lift. So that it goes
Pump out to
Control valve 1 in (splitter control)
Control valve 1 out to
Control valve 2 in (lift control)
Control valve 2 out back to tank
Tank back to pump

That is exactly the way I did mine but when lifting, the splitter jack extends. I reversed the valves( lift to first valve, splitter jack to second) and it did the same . I am sort of convinced I need to get a two spool valve. Adding a power forward valve would mean all new plumbing and about the same money.

^^^^^^
This, you need a power beyond valve or there is a kit for some valves. Be careful once you get it working as it may launch the wood if you aren't careful. They sell restrictors to throttle it down. I had to do that on mine.

Why don't you split your pump output line and supply each valve with a separate hydraulic line? That will solve your problems. Prince valves are crap(IMHO).

Why don't you split your pump output line and supply each valve with a separate hydraulic line? That will solve your problems. Prince valves are crap(IMHO).
If your talking about putting a tee on the pressure line at the pump, what you are suggesting wont work at all. All pressure will go thru the line not being used. You could add a divider valve at the pump, to pump equal flows to each valve, but you aint going to like that either. best to see if the first valve in his setup is equiped with a power beyond port. If it is equiped with pb, then that is where he needs to connect his second valve, not at the out side of the first valve. It is possible and probable, that his first valve isnt equiped for PB, if it only has one out port, then it isnt PB capable. If it does have the PB port, it also possible that the port doesnt have the adapter plug installed. With the pb adapter, the out port only flows the oil returning from the spool to the tank as the spool is being used. The PB port carrries all oil flow down stream or back to tank, depending on setup, when all spools are centered.

^^^^^^
This, you need a power beyond valve or there is a kit for some valves. Be careful once you get it working as it may launch the wood if you aren't careful. They sell restrictors to throttle it down. I had to do that on mine.

When I finished my log lift it was more catapult than lift until I put a restrictor on.

That is not how it was explained to me by Cross when I placed one of their 2 spool valves infront of my prince autocycle valve. I do not now enough to be dangerous. . . lol

Dont know what cross told you or what kind of hydraulic system you where working on. If the system is a closed center system, then you can pretty much hook another control valve in the pressure line off the pump. If the system is a open center system then tee'ing into the pressure line for a second valve would provide a open path back to tank and the system would never build pressure unless both valves where activated at the same time. and both actuators bottomed out. I have never seen a closed center system on a wood splitter. I suspect your cross valve had a power beyond port and that is what you connected to. Post a pic of you connections.

Thank you to all who posted to help me. I have ordered a two spool log splitter valve to replace the valves I have. That way I don't have to scrap hoses and fittings I recently bought. I hope to sale the unused valves and get what I can back. Anybody interested, one is a Brand log splitter valve about 20 years old, the other a Prince 3000 log splitter valve about 2 weeks old.
Thanks Again, Dave

Latest posts

Back