Stihl 020t questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Macman125

libertarian/anarcho-capitalist firewood hack
Reaction score
So I just had a 020t given to me by a friend. It seems to have good compression but is missing the carb and muffler cover. Is this saw worth putting the money in to? How do these thing run power wise? What model of carb should I be looking for? I don't know if there were many variations but I would like it to be fully adjustable.

So I just had a 020t given to me by a friend. It seems to have good compression but is missing the carb and muffler cover. Is this saw worth putting the money in to? How do these thing run power wise? What model of carb should I be looking for? I don't know if there were many variations but I would like it to be fully adjustable.
Dont get talked out of this saw by people here. What is the compression reading? You can get a muffler from good old Definitive Dave. Those older carbs can still be found.

CIQ S16A ZAMA CARB

WT 326 C WALBRO CARB

Dont get talked out of this saw by people here. What is the compression reading? You can get a muffler from good old Definitive Dave. Those older carbs can still be found.

CIQ S16A ZAMA CARB

WT 326 C WALBRO CARB
how many, if any parts are shared with an 020AV?

CIQ S16A ZAMA CARB

WT 326 C WALBRO CARB

I do not have a compression tester that is worth a crap. It feels plentiful by pulling on the rope though. Thanks for the carb info. I don't need a whole muffler, just the outside cover. I have heard a lot about these saws. Are they really that desirable? If it did need rebuilt (which I don't think it doe as I said the compression feels good by pulling on the rope), would the saw be worth it?

I do not have a compression tester that is worth a crap. It feels plentiful by pulling on the rope though. Thanks for the carb info. I don't need a whole muffler, just the outside cover. I have heard a lot about these saws. Are they really that desirable? If it did need rebuilt (which I don't think it doe as I said the compression feels good by pulling on the rope), would the saw be worth it?
Its fairly valuable I sold one for 300.00 in nice shape. Got pics? Look at the piston and rings through he muffler. Dave will sell you an aftermarket muffler at a fair price.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/conversations/add?to=Definitive+Dave

I will most likely be hitting him up soon after I inspect it thoroughly. Has anyone tried the aftermarket carbs off ebay with any luck? They can be had for under $20.

They seem to be a little worn, if I can justify going through this saw I will probably replace them.
Dave has them too. Any scoring on the piston as viewed from the exhaust port? And check the left and rt crank bearings by moving the flywheel up and down and the clutch side too. Other then that the rubber boot at the carb should be checked for tears.

I haven't really checked it out much yet. Brought it home, sat it on the bench and that is where I am at now lol.

I think I am going to go out there and check it out now, this site usually does pretty good at making me want to tinker.

Well the piston and cylinder is toast, It lost a ring locating pin and put a .100 deep scar all the way down the cylinder. So now what to do? lol

Well the piston and cylinder is toast, It lost a ring locating pin and put a .100 deep scar all the way down the cylinder. So now what to do? lol
No worries I got used parts here. Or you can get a farmer tech cyl and a piston from Dave new , not expensive. Any up and down play in the rod ,side to side is ok?

Everything else seems to check out on it other than the top end.
Ok so buy the parts from Dave if you are capable of repair and I can tell you are. If you prefer I have used parts here or I can fix it for you any way you want to do it. New crank seals would be in order , then a pressure test so it stays together with no problems. I would be happy to fix it for you or guide you on the phone, I know the saw very well so no trouble. I prefer the stock Bakelite seals to the aftermarket black rubber ones.

Latest posts

Back