Stihl 021 won't even sputter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mistermojo

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Bought a 021 for $10 that wasn't running, figured I'd at least make a few bucks reselling it if I couldn't. I tried a new plug and new gas, I haven't gone as far as tearing down the carb yet although that's probably where I'd have gone had it even showed a sign of life.

I can pull until my arm comes off, nothing happens other than it gets flooded. I tried starting it in run mode with the throttle clamped down and still nothing. I haven't checked fuel line, figured it would still sputter if that was bad. Someone in an old thread suggested tipping it upside down with the plug removed and pulling the starter to drain the gas out of the cylinder if it was flooded so I tried that but nothing.

Any thoughts on where to turn next? I don't want to stick any more money into it, so potential cheap fixes would be best.

Thanks,
Mojo

Do I have to hold the plug to the cylinder or can it be touched to anything metal? With all of that plastic, it's hard to find a good spot to contact. I have not looked at the piston yet.

It has to be touching the cylinder, everything else up there is plastic. But be careful, if the saw is flooded, the saw could become a flamethrower in your face.
...and the cylinder needs to be grounded at the coil as well. Some people forget to re-connect the grounding wire at the cylinder base when re-assembling their saw...

before wasting anymore time on it, pull the muffler and look at the piston for scoring. All the spark/fuel in the world won't bump, if there is too little compression.

IMG_1757.JPG Pulled the muffler, it looks like someone used the cylinder for a hockey puck. This is out of my comfort zone/ money zone so not going to fix this one.. thanks all for the help and from keeping me spending any more money on it.

I'm more into the quick fix type stuff, plus I have a young'un on the way so time/energy has been short as of late getting the house ready as well as getting ready for fall activities like hunting season. Time to move it along to someone that can take the time to fix it. Thanks again all for the help.

If you want to move it along, I'll give you $25 + shipping. Never rebuilt an 1123 series and would like to.

Find an 025 or MS250 with a bad case and a good motor and swap out the motor. I did that once with an 021 that had been shot. It wasn't that hard to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

021 not a bad saw but it is quite an ordeal to rebuild if you haven't done one. By now I might be able to rebuild one in the dark but haven't tried it yet...buying an 025 short block would be the way to go on this saw if the rest of it is in decent shape..they're cheap on 'the bay.

Latest posts

Back