775g / Till HL117C rebuild now saw wont run.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliceoflife

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I bought a Homelite 775g, it ran/idled; but had some issues where it would sputter and die or flood when revved, and I couldn't get it tuned.

Decided to rebuild the carb...

Bought the kit and:

Screen wasn't included so it had to be reused.
Needle and seat weren't the right size so they got reused.

Otherwise it's been rebuilt, gaskets and diaphragms replaced.

I've pressure tested it and it holds pressure fine.

I've disassembled and reassembled THREE times to make sure I don't have any positions flipped on gaskets or diaphragms.

Goes Carb body, Gasket, Dia, middle plate, Gasket, Dia, Pump/top plate, screen, Gasket, Hose attachment.

Now when I try to start... it fires exactly once... "Pop", then instantly dies. Does this two times/pulls in a row typically, then nothing. Seems pretty severely flooded no matter where I put the carb adjustments.

If I set the saw down after trying to start it a bit and come back a few minutes later; the carb is swimming in fuel. It's literally sloshing around in there and spilling out. Seems like something is creating a vacuum and pulling fuel into the carb while the saw sits after fighting with it.

Any clues what's wrong now?

Figured the first reply was gonna be about the chinese kits having the fatter nub on the diaphragm, so I ran downstairs and double checked... the old kit also had a fat nub on the diaphragm... but I looked and maybe there was a fraction of a mm difference... so I pushed in the lever control arm a bit more just to absolutely rule that out...

And it fixed it.

So.... goes to show you, measure; don't trust your eyes.

Also... Holy lord does an incorrectly placed lever control arm make a difference... I mean there was a quarter cup of gas that dripped out of the carb of that saw after I fought with it last time for maybe 3 minutes.

It's running. I have the muffler off; so it sounds like it wants to kill me... but once I get it all put together I'll tune it up and see how she cuts.

Back