Stihl 023 will not start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raybonz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello All,
New to this forum and this is my 1st post.. A member at ********** recommended I ask this question here and humbly ask for an expert opinion.. I am having a starting problem with my Stihl 023 and it appears to have no spark.. I replaced the spark plug and filled with fresh fuel and even tried starting fluid but nothing happens..I can smell fuel and the plug is wet when I remove it so I know it is getting fuel.. I have the feeling the ignition coil went bad and need a 2nd opinion.. The tab terminal on the ignition reads very low to ground with no wire connected to it and I suspect the coil is grounded out.. Funds are a bit tight so I need to be sure before I shell out cash for parts.. Thank you in advance for any info and help you can provide!

Ray

PS I did post this on another thread but got no replies but it was an old thread..

Just to be sure, remove the coil and sand off any corrosion off of the
laminations to make sure it has a good ground, remount it and gap it
with a business card, leave the kill wire disconnected, hook the spark plug
end on a new plug, then test for spark, holding the side of the plug
against the top of the block and test for spark, no spark=new coil time.
Test in a dark room to see the spark better.

Just to be sure.

Clear and concise instructions,go do it now.Don't wait for any more advice,it only gets confusing.

Just to be sure, remove the coil and sand off any corrosion off of the
laminations to make sure it has a good ground, remount it and gap it
with a business card, leave the kill wire disconnected, hook the spark plug
end on a new plug, then test for spark, holding the side of the plug
against the top of the block and test for spark, no spark=new coil time.
Test in a dark room to see the spark better.

Just to be sure.

Hi Fish,
A note of thanx for your idea.. I determined I had spark then reconnected the kill wire and still had spark.. Cleaned and regapped the pole laminations (they were pretty clean but sanded them anyway).. Researched the plug gap and found it should be at .020" and it was off a little bit about .022"-.023".. Took it outside and it fired up on the 2nd pull! Had trouble with it not wanting to idle and adjusted the slow idle screw and it ran great.. This has always been a good saw so I hated to see it die.. I would love to have a powerful saw like you folks have but I don't do lots of cutting like you guys do.. Time for a new bar and chain both original with lots of cutting miles on them.. Once again thank you for your time and good advice!

:clap:

Ray

Hey Man welcome to the site.
Don't know about the 023 but Fish might, if it can gain from a muffler mod you could try that and get more power. I don't have 023 yet but I got a few small Stihls that really responded to a muffler mod it makes a difference.
"Possum":chainsaw:

Latest posts

Back