Stihl MS 192T Top Handle Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArchieBennett

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
My buddy put it away last fall and left the gas in it. He brought it to me to fix it. Carb was plugged, and cleaning did no t help, so I replaced it. It starts, but won't run right. Bogs down when put throttle to it. Checked for exhaust plug, and noticed cylinder is visibly scored, but exhaust is open. Is this a lost cause, or is it possible it could be a good saw again? He claims it was always was a good saw, and there was no issues with it when he parked it.

They can be little bastards. Fuel tank vent issues, collapsed/pinched fuel lines, if you hooked the purge bulb up wrong, last running issue I had with mine turned out to be crank seals. That was a fun job. I tried aftermarket carb once and that was a no go either.

Forgot to mention that the compression feels normal, but I do not have a gauge.
My buddy put it away last fall and left the gas in it. He brought it to me to fix it. Carb was plugged, and cleaning did no t help, so I replaced it. It starts, but won't run right. Bogs down when put throttle to it. Checked for exhaust plug, and noticed cylinder is visibly scored, but exhaust is open. Is this a lost cause, or is it possible it could be a good saw again? He claims it was always was a good saw, and there was no issues with it when he parked s normal, but I do not have a gauge.

My buddy put it away last fall and left the gas in it. He brought it to me to fix it. Carb was plugged, and cleaning did no t help, so I replaced it. It starts, but won't run right. Bogs down when put throttle to it. Checked for exhaust plug, and noticed cylinder is visibly scored, but exhaust is open. Is this a lost cause, or is it possible it could be a good saw again? He claims it was always was a good saw, and there was no issues with it when he parked it.
Rip it down and inspect the cylinder and piston if its really scored.

Rip it down and inspect the cylinder and piston if its really scored.
Likely a new top end is needed, and most dealers charge more money to rebuild these saws than they are worth. I have saved several for replacement parts because those are not cheap either. Regardless, a visible inspection of the P/C is good advice,

This is why I always say piston and cylinder condition are more important than a compression reading.
Get it tore down. You will have to decide if the repair cost is worth it.

Current 192 in for rebuild.
Minor piston scoring, cleaned up fine. Some cyl transfer...cleaned up but took a while.
The saw "ran" before teardown but had an obvious air leak. So pulled muffler...yup...

Waiting on seals and rings to show up...
Did some mild porting, just for fun :p. Muffler mod... might tweak the timing a tad.
Backup saw for a friend.
1000003791.jpg

Latest posts

Back