Stihl 026 piston size

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitty21

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Bought a used piston and cylinder off a member on here for an 026 assuming they were all the same.

It is a 44mm bore just as my saw, however the piston skirt on the one I received is longer and catches the case at the bottom of the stroke so much as to not allow a rotation.

Is there two different piston sizes. I am not butthurt about it I just want to make sure I order the correct piston this time.

Thanks in advance guys

I believe there were two different bore sizes with the 026/260. Not sure about the piston length though.

Bought a used piston and cylinder off a member on here for an 026 assuming they were all the same.

It is a 44mm bore just as my saw, however the piston skirt on the one I received is longer and catches the case at the bottom of the stroke so much as to not allow a rotation.

Is there two different piston sizes. I am not butthurt about it I just want to make sure I order the correct piston this time.

Thanks in advance guys
Is this an OEM piston? I have seen a problem with certain Golf pistons hitting on the counterweight.

It is a friends saw. He had something inhaled through the intake I am assuming as there is a large score on the intake side of the piston, this is why I bought the new top end. I do notice that the newer piston is domed unlike the one that came out of it

But not a high dome like the 028 piston has, I am betting its an 028 piston and it would have a longer skirt that would contact the crank counterweights at BDC. I have cut down 028 pistons when experimenting with hopping up 026`s.

if that is the case are the cylinders the same?

They are both mahle stamped jugs, same bar code (forget what it is off hand) just one is WI and the other is a WII

I have never physically tried swapping them so fitting on the base I cannot comment on but the top cover of the 026 would not fit as the cooling fins are wider on an 028 cylinder. I would think that the cooling fins would also need trimming to fit between the flywheel and the raised part of the crankcase around the clutch side of the base.

So they are not interchangeable?

I have never physically tried swapping them so fitting on the base I cannot comment on but the top cover of the 026 would not fit as the cooling fins are wider on an 028 cylinder. I would think that the cooling fins would also need trimming to fit between the flywheel and the raised part of the crankcase around the clutch side of the base.
If the spark plug comes off the jug at an angle, it's an 028. If it come squarely back at you, it's a 26.

You may have a mismatched jug and piston. IIRC, 028 standard piston has a bigger dome, less compression height, smaller Windows, and longer skirts.

If the spark plug comes off the jug at an angle, it's an 028. If it come squarely back at you, it's a 26.

You may have a mismatched jug and piston. IIRC, 028 standard piston has a bigger dome, less compression height, smaller Windows, and longer skirts.

Ever try bolting an 028 cylinder on a 026 crankcase?

Back