Stihl 044 Clutch side oil seal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

super029D

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Guys just picked up a 044 10mm pin chainsaw off the CL. Starting to rebuild with OEM piston, ran into a issue with the clutch side oil seal. When I pressed it into position I noticed that the lips of the seal don't fit around the shaft like other Stihls ive seen, 025, 039, ect... Do I need to press the seal farther down or is this where the oil crank bushing fits and helps to create the seal.

Second Question, I've searched the web and found nothing on the heat shield placement and the stihl 044 manual doesnt show this either. Suggestions?? Thanks for all the pros on here who do this for a living and don't mind sharing information to us hobbiests!!!

Attachments

• Clutch Side seal.jpg
    Clutch Side seal.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Exhaust Heat shield.JPG
    Exhaust Heat shield.JPG
    13.6 KB · Views: 21
I just built one too and noticed the same thing. When you put in the bushing for the oil pump worm gear and tighten down the clutch, the bushing thickness should make up the gap and make the seal.

I believe the heat shield should go on the crankcase under the muffler.

Pictures kinda fuzzy of the seal, are u saying theres a gap between seal lips and crankshaft?
Sorry about the photo, tried to get the angle to show the lip of the seal but it didn't come out very well either. DSWENSEN, answered the question. I thought I had seen on the forum somewhere this was talked about but wanted to make sure I wasn't going to have to retrace my steps over...

Back