stihl 066 need help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B A Miller

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys need some help. I have an early model stihl 066 was out cutting today and it was very hot. The saw was running good for about 30min then died during a cut. Now it won't start. I let it set for a while cranked and cranked no luck. It would turn over when I chocked it but would not start in when I moved to switch to start position. I pulled the muffler piston looked fine and would move when I pulled the pull chord. Compression felt good too. Any ideas what all it could be?

Just pull the starter a few times and pull the fuel line off the carb. Fuel should squirt out when you do this. If it ran for 30 mins and died and wont restart, even after cooling down does suggest a spark issue to me.

If it starts when "choked", but dies when switched to the run position, then you have a fuel related problem. It could be in the fuel system, or an air leak affecting your fuel/air ratio. First thing to do is go through the fuel system correctly.

Give it ten pulls on full choke and check the plug. If it is wet then it is probably the plug or coil and if it is dry then check the carb. You can place the cap back on the plug and earth it on the cylinder (away from the plug hole), pull the saw over and see if the plug sparks. If it doesn't then try another plug and if this doesn't work then it is the coil or the kill wire earthing.

Thank you guys for the help. I'm gonna mess with it tomorrow hopefully I will have a good update for yall

Alright, the plug is good my dad told me to pour some mix into the head did that and it started right up ran for about a min then died. So just figured it was bad fuel. So I dumped the old out and put some new in. Got it started ran and idled for a while. So I shut it off. Hour later I came back out and tried to start it. It would start then die soon after. And I have to choke it everytime to get it to start at all

Keep running it like it is, and you will be exploring the aspect of engine rebuilding.
For that matter, take off the muffler and peek at your piston.
Pulled the muffler piston looked good. Saw its a fairly new piston and cylinder

Back