Stihl 441 pilot bearing problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeb

chainsaw rebuild addict
Reaction score
Have a Stihl 441 with 36" bar, 3/8 .050. During our teams deployment to Georgia, we went through 3 pilot bearings in 1 week. Chain tension was correct, pilot bearings lubed daily. Saw ran 8 to 10 hours a day clearing tornado damaged trees, cutting mostly pine. Anyone run into this kind of bearing failure? Replacement bearing were from Stihl, bar was also a Stihl bar

I'm kind of with @jmssaws on this one.
A 441 can pull a 36" bar, but it's oiler output may not be suited for extended longer bar use. Plus it may have something to do with the dryness in that type of wood.
Or perhaps your oil pump is just not working correctly.
It's not hard to imagine something simple like a oil pump worm gear tang slipping, but that would eventually cause the oil pump to completely stop working.
It also could be that when the first one went bad, it either damaged the crank or the sprocket surface at the microscopic level.
It doesn't take much roughness to create plastic race melting heat.
What are you lubing the bearing with?
Ask your Stihl dealer for the correct recommended Stihl sprocket lube.
Have your operator goop it up daily, or even twice daily, and see if it helps.
Also, how much side to side play is there on the sprocket?
If it's got too much, it may be that the lube you are using is flowing out to quickly when it get heated up from extended cutting. If that's the case, it may be time for a new rim sprocket drum.
Sometimes a thin washer can help with slop, and keep that grease sponging dust out too.
Does the saw in question sit idling
much?
As you probably know, the oil pump only pumps when the sprocket is turning.
This means how ever much oil or grease is on the sprocket bearing when you set it down to idle is all that it has to work with.
If nothing helps, then you probably need a 661 or an 880 to pull that 36" bar for day in and day out use.

I use Stihl superlube FS on the pilot bearing. Oiler is working great, fuel tank empty, oil tank empty. Oiler turned wide open. I understand this bar length is not recommended for this saw, we normally run a 28" bar on this saw. After reading all comments here,I am going back to the 28" bar, correct chain tension and closely monitor chainsaw idle time. Thanks for all the prompt and very helpful replies.

If he is talking about the sprocket bearing, what does that have to do with the oiler output?
I know the oiler doesn't necessarily oil the sprocket bearing, but being in close proximity to a warm oily chain when the chain stops usually leads to some residual oil to seaping down into the sprocket and that bearing.

I've never greased one of them and cut timber for years,I can think of 2 going bad.

Us a bigger pump
At least a 460 R pump assembly or a piston
I have 441 R pump and to my liking it is only good to a 25" bar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back