Stihl 461 muffler mod progression video

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbull660

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
tried out some different variations in the vid. Ended up with the 3x ported muff at the end as the fastest, loudest...err most pleasant to my ears!

Seems there might be more to go yet if I knew what the old 046 factory port size was. I could then figure that surface area and compare to what I've got.

Also thought it was interesting that performance was better WITH the baffle left alone.

tried out some different variations in the vid. Ended up with the 3x ported muff at the end as the fastest, loudest...err most pleasant to my ears!

Seems there might be more to go yet if I knew what the old 046 factory port size was. I could then figure that surface area and compare to what I've got.

Also thought it was interesting that performance was better WITH the baffle left alone.

I have noticed that on 044/046/066 saws .............. the more you open the mufflers exhaust, the stronger they run

First time I have heard that leaving the baffle in was beneficial, but that is why actual testing is so valuable.

When I initially got dp muff covers for my 044 I got more than one so I could play. I did not like the way the saw idled or responded with the one I "improved", so I put a stock dp cover on it and liked the way it responded. I later used the "improved" cover on my 046, and that saw seemed to like it just fine, both before & after porting. (I added 2 1/4" holes ... above & below the slot). The cover does not have the screen.

The original hole on my old 044s is about 5/8". The original hole on my 046 was only about 3/8". I enlarged the hole on the 046 when I put the dp muff cover on it. Just drilled another hole next to it so it almost looks like a figure 8 (holes are connected).

I would guess the very first 046's had a 5/8ths hole. But one could easily go over how much is needed. and the way I've got the 461 set up now is pretty sweet. Just ask DexterDay he bought it. :) So it's up to him. I explained all my thoughts to him. Basically I gave him my opinion which was don't mess with a good thing lol

In theory...

if the old 046 was 5/8th stock port on the side + dp cover.

you could in theory make the holes in my (well dexterday's) 461 slightly bigger to achieve the same square surface area. But you risk over doing it.

or you could buy a new muff and make an 046 size hole , add the dp cover and NOT do the 3x port. Put this up against the 3x port. I would honestly bet money that the difference would be approx .25 of a sec for a 18-20 sec cut time. Which could easily be screwed up just by not tunning it perfectly for each setup. But knowing me I'd still try em if I knew 100% sure what the old 046 port size was. 9/16 vs 5/8th size hole even makes a difference. ...I would need the exact measurement.

Sooo I like the 3x port - it's really fast, looks cool, and it sounds freakin awesome. :)

I guess if I were to do it again I'd use 3/8th drill bit to make the side ports - basically just give a little angle to the stock one cuz that's already approx 3/8. Give a little angle to the other side. throw on the dp cover. If you wanted to push it...use 7/16 drill bit. I would not open up the dp cover at all or screw with the baffle. Screens - I used them...have em installed.

Take into consideration port timing in the 066/660 and I believe the 046/460, has been altered along with the muffler port sizes. This can/will effect how much back pressure a particular engine may require. You sound like the type of person that will excel in this field BTW.

Latest posts

Back