Stihl 500i specs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ferris076

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A L E R T !!!!! We have official numbers!!!!

5 kW (6,8 hp) out from 80cm³ (carbon concept engine)

6,2kg !!!!!!!

Damn guys! Stihl is going absolutely demonic! That's even a harder knockout to Husqvarna than the 462!!!

Release in germany is next year!!!
IMG_2189.JPG IMG_2199.JPG IMG_2200.JPG IMG_2201.JPG IMG_2203.JPG IMG_2204.PNG

Yeah, right next to....is that primer button? On EFI? I guess in a world of strange consequences it might be necessary for quick starts if the fuel decides to bleed back.

A L E R T !!!!! We have official numbers!!!!

5 kW (6,8 hp) out from 80cm³ (carbon concept engine)

6,2kg !!!!!!!

Damn guys! Stihl is going absolutely demonic! That's even a harder knockout to Husqvarna than the 462!!!

Release in germany is next year!!!
View attachment 602711 View attachment 602712 View attachment 602713 View attachment 602714 View attachment 602715 View attachment 602716
Friend of my mine got back from a trip to stihl headquarters i germany, pricing will be around $1800

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Yeah, right next to....is that primer button? On EFI? I guess in a world of strange consequences it might be necessary for quick starts if the fuel decides to bleed back.

Its needed to make enough fuel pressure for the injector to operate properly. Once running it makes it's own fuel pressure. But it's not like your car, you cant turn the key and wait for the electric fuel pump to build pressure.

I assume its a very low pressure injector/fuel system. Im sure its nothing like fich injection. Im betting the primer gets enough fuel in the system to "pop" then the injector can take over. Im curious if it has any cold blooded tendencies lije a carb motor does. I remember the first injected snowmobike engines 1 pull made electricity for the injectors and primed the system the second pull resulted in a running engine most of the time. For everyones sake i hope this system and saw is a home run for its users and stihl its self. I think the ts500i has been around a good number of years??? @alexcagle knows tons about the cutoff saws and how the system works and how well it does in a comercial environment. Please chime in on what you think about the ts500i and now the ms500i. I will likely never own one unless i get it broken on trade or pick it out of the dumpster/trash can. Power to weight is almost unbelievable. Surely would have to be a heavy hitter and convert alot of husky only guys to the creamsickle dark side.

The question is how will it perform compared to the next two generations of saws put out by everyone else, not the current, when it finally comes out?

Sorry, I just had to

I assume its a very low pressure injector/fuel system. Im sure its nothing like fich injection. Im betting the primer gets enough fuel in the system to "pop" then the injector can take over. Im curious if it has any cold blooded tendencies lije a carb motor does. I remember the first injected snowmobike engines 1 pull made electricity for the injectors and primed the system the second pull resulted in a running engine most of the time. For everyones sake i hope this system and saw is a home run for its users and stihl its self. I think the ts500i has been around a good number of years??? @alexcagle knows tons about the cutoff saws and how the system works and how well it does in a comercial environment. Please chime in on what you think about the ts500i and now the ms500i. I will likely never own one unless i get it broken on trade or pick it out of the dumpster/trash can. Power to weight is almost unbelievable. Surely would have to be a heavy hitter and convert alot of husky only guys to the creamsickle dark side.

The TS500i has a magnet ring on the back of the flywheel and a generator under the flywheel to supply power to the ECU. The ECU controls injection duration, timing, and contains the high energy ignition module. It also stores information like trouble codes, running hours, and current tune information. It uses a sensor in the crankcase to measure pressure and temp. The throttle shutter controls air flow and nothing else. The injection pump, once the engine is running maintains constant fuel pressure. The fuel pump bulb, primes the injection valve for proper starting. You press it 7 to 10 times, even on hot restarts.

1.4?! thats so low. It must use an impulse driven diaphragm pump just like a saw carb. I figured it would have had a piston pump driven off the crank counterweights or something like that to get 40psi. I guess there's probably still room for improvement, the spray pattern probably blows at such low pressure.

1.4?! thats so low. It must use an impulse driven diaphragm pump just like a saw carb. I figured it would have had a piston pump driven off the crank counterweights or something like that to get 40psi. I guess there's probably still room for improvement, the spray pattern probably blows at such low pressure.

That's exactly what it is.

Screenshot_20181005-204327_Chrome_crop_466x316.jpg

Back