Suggestions on how to remove this tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cutter Dan

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to go about taking down this train wreck? This is a friends house and I don't have much more information than this picture.
17199151_10212796129317348_1414277300_n.jpg

Get on the roof with a pole saw and trim it up then climb it and rig down like usual.

Think twice about climbing a dead or unknown rot or possible widow maker unless very knowledgeable on the task at hand.....then think a third and fourth time until you get a "Nope" for an answer. If it is as close to the houses as it looks yet too far to pole saw safely as it also appears then I would suggest bucking it down a chunk at a time from above...bucket truck....but what do I know.

I was a little concerned about the hanging limb after reaching what could be reached with the pole saw.
Most pole saws reach 10'-11' and with widow makers ready to drop, I wouldn't be under it and agitating it with a pole saw. I've had two non expert acquaintances die while felling fairly large trees in the last 4 yrs and the risk outweighs the reward of not having an expert at least do the tough part.

Most pole saws reach 10'-11' and with widow makers ready to drop, I wouldn't be under it and agitating it with a pole saw. I've had two non expert acquaintances die while felling fairly large trees in the last 4 yrs and the risk outweighs the reward of not having an expert at least do the tough part.
PS, Your friend might want to verify insurance will repair any damages to their own and to neighbors property, fences, etc, if this is done via homeowner vs insured contractor.

Any suggestions on how to go about taking down this train wreck? This is a friends house and I don't have much more information than this picture.
17199151_10212796129317348_1414277300_n.jpg
Learn how to tie a monkey fist around a rock just smaller than baseball. Now throw as high into tree as possible with leader tied to at least half inch rope. Pull rope down to make slip knot to bring noose tite around tree up high. Now tie end of rope in direction of safe fall. Come back every day or two and tighten rope more. Tape area of fall to warn of potential fall zone. Or admit your limits in the matter since any directions we may provide may fail mizerably on that tree. We don't want people hurt!

Learn how to tie a monkey fist around a rock just smaller than baseball. Now throw as high into tree as possible with leader tied to at least half inch rope. Pull rope down to make slip knot to bring noose tite around tree up high. Now tie end of rope in direction of safe fall. Come back every day or two and tighten rope more. Tape area of fall to warn of potential fall zone. Or admit your limits in the matter since any directions we may provide may fail mizerably on that tree. We don't want people hurt!
I'm not taking this job. I told her to find a professional crew who has insurance. I wouldn't touch that tree with a 10' pole saw.

If you're not comfortable, then you made the right call. On the other hand, unless the pic angle has me fooled, it only looks to be about 30' high. If you climbed 20' into the tree, you could cut small pieces with a pole saw and get the hangers out of the way. ONce the hangers are dealt with, there is only a couple of branches to cut and then just blocking down the stem. Just my opinion, based on what I can see from the pic.

Falling in a back yard is always a problem, because of all the landscaping/knick knacks, garden beds etc. Better to piece it down.

If you're not comfortable, then you made the right call. On the other hand, unless the pic angle has me fooled, it only looks to be about 30' high. If you climbed 20' into the tree, you could cut small pieces with a pole saw and get the hangers out of the way. ONce the hangers are dealt with, there is only a couple of branches to cut and then just blocking down the stem. Just my opinion, based on what I can see from the pic.

Falling in a back yard is always a problem, because of all the landscaping/knick knacks, garden beds etc. Better to piece it down.
In this case, a picture is not worth a thousand words....being there is. Camera focal length does weird things to depth perception and size relationships. As you stated, "...made the right call."

Back