Biggest Problems For Tree Care Businesses

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shaurya sharma

Reaction score
What are the biggest problems you all face with your tree care businesses?

1. Not getting enough jobs on a monthly basis

2. Too much work and not being able to hire bigger teams

3. Other

For me it's 2. but I'd love to know about what everyone else is facing and any suggestions to overcome this if possible.

Thanks.

Not being to find good employees is my biggest struggle. I've tried using Indeed and most applicants either don't have much experience, or have a really bad attitude/morals and wouldn't be a good fit, or job hop every few months and likely wouldn't stick around for long. Finding the work is much easier; we get booked 6-12 weeks out in the summer. I advertise in late fall and again in the winter by mailing EDDM postcards, and while it's expensive, I can get enough work to stay busy in the winter mostly from that.

Workers and equipment failures. Would be nice to have at least a back up chipper. A competent saw dealer would be nice too, really tired of going through john deer for parts. Someday the owners will wise up and get me huskys so I don't have to drive a half hour to order parts.

Biggest issue is scabs working for beer money. It’s not the work they get that effects me it’s the time I waste doing the quotes to learn they have an uninsured quote already. Equipment can be fixed and every saw has a backup or two. Workers are hard to find but you offer fair pay and they will come into your life. I don’t need a saw dealer as I have this forum. I run a 3 person crew and we will never be cought up. I could run 3 crews then you can’t control the outcome. Pick your poison ☠️

Also don’t be scared of the inexperienced. That means you have a fresh plate to work with no bad habits and no one walking around like they know it all. Set a weekly goal and give the crew a bonus after the goal is met I pay my crew handsomely I’m also not scared to say it without them well you know the rest

Biggest issue is scabs working for beer money. It’s not the work they get that effects me it’s the time I waste doing the quotes to learn they have an uninsured quote already. Equipment can be fixed and every saw has a backup or two. Workers are hard to find but you offer fair pay and they will come into your life. I don’t need a saw dealer as I have this forum. I run a 3 person crew and we will never be cought up. I could run 3 crews then you can’t control the outcome. Pick your poison ☠️
When vermeer has your machine and says 2 weeks+ you'll be thankful for a back up.

When vermeer has your machine and says 2 weeks+ you'll be thankful for a back up.
Well I’m pretty brand loyal Vermeer makes good machines but I have bandit chipper and a bandit stump grinder. Over 2000 hr on the chipper 1890xp and just typical maintenance. Although it is a larger machine. The sg40 I’m almost to 100hrs on and it’s flawless. Maybe I’m lucky or maybe the equipment is just that good. I’m not sure. Been very fortunate with it I guess. Also you’d think Vermeer would give you a chipper for when you’re was gone. I know if my sg40 goes down I just make a call. The 1890xp is the same way. I also deal bandit direct so maybe that has its perks also. I can tell you I’ve never had to call so how well they back that is yet to be seen.

Equipment failure. Saws aren’t a problem but the skid steers are a constant issue. Thrown tracks on the job and hydraulic issues. Not fun at all. I also hate slash and dealing with certain entitled people.

Back