Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pick up speed all morning long until 3:00 then quickly wind down and back in bed by 8?

Yep.......that sounds bout right....I been putting together that 258 that Unc transported up here the last few nights though. Gone about as far as I can without pulling the old motor.....need the 7 qt base with built in skid plate and intake/exhaust manifolds and cast alum valve cover from the old one. So far it has a new rear main seal, all bearings checked, prelubed and retorqued, new Mopar Performance high volume oil pump, new Comp Cam and lifters, new timing chain/sprocket set, new front main seal, valves hand lapped, new valve seals and head gasket and torqued and a coat of ceramic based low gloss engine paint. Last night I test fit the 6 cyl Chebby HEI distributer ....but decided against using that one and ordered a new aftermarket HEI kit with coil, cap and wires with adjustable vac advance for $110.00 delivered......uses all GM components available at any parts store........and has the correct drive gear for the Jeep/AMC. to break in with the new cam gear. Cheep nuff for a new single wire, 65,000 volt, complete ign system.

This is the one I have coming...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/232051487526?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Yep.......that sounds bout right....I been putting together that 258 that Unc transported up here the last few nights though. Gone about as far as I can without pulling the old motor.....need the 7 qt base with built in skid plate and intake/exhaust manifolds and cast alum valve cover from the old one. So far it has a new rear main seal, all bearings checked, prelubed and retorqued, new Mopar Performance high volume oil pump, new Comp Cam and lifters, new timing chain/sprocket set, new front main seal, valves hand lapped, new valve seals and head gasket and torqued and a coat of ceramic based low gloss engine paint. Last night I test fit the 6 cyl Chebby HEI distributer ....but decided against using that one and ordered a new aftermarket HEI kit with coil, cap and wires with adjustable vac advance for $110.00 delivered......uses all GM components available at any parts store........and has the correct drive gear for the Jeep/AMC. to break in with the new cam gear. Cheep nuff for a new single wire, 65,000 volt, complete ign system.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/232051487526?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
Sounds like it will be going down the road very soon .

Sounds like it will be going down the road very soon .

Yep pretty soon.....gonna put it in the shop this afternoon and drain the fluids.....start pulling the old one in the morning....gonna need a new clutch/pressure plate/ throw out bearing and a pilot bearing. I need to look at the input shaft and make sure I get the right ID and OD bearing.....I believe I may have to shorten it a tad....running an earlier crank into a later trans.....will work but may need a little customizing.....gotta build an exhaust too......the old thrush glass pak and crumpled/kinked tailpipe ain't gonna make it.....

Jeep 001.JPG Jeep 002.JPG Jeep 003.JPG

Hard to beat the HEI.......all troubleshooting is one of 2 parts.....

A real nice engine for the miserable device.

I'm hoping so.......looks real good to me.....not a race or even highway build......but damn good island build......when it gets there it will hardly evah see 50 mph.....unless "unusual circumstances"....then might hit 60 mph briefly......generally be more like 35-40 mph on the good roads and 10-15 mph on the rest.......

That engine will likely outlast the device, should anyway.

Yep.....most likely get on no more than 2-300 miles a year.....device will last a while...the tub's been rebuilt...poorly but stoutly and the running gear has 158,000 miles on it but the 4 spd shifts good, transfer hi & low all good, brakes new, shocks new, steering tight. snow tires all the way around at about 80% .......no leaks no noise.....lights all work...good island rig.

Yep.....most likely get on no more than 2-300 miles a year.....device will last a while...the tub's been rebuilt...poorly but stoutly and the running gear has 158,000 miles on it but the 4 spd shifts good, transfer hi & low all good, brakes new, shocks new, steering tight. snow tires all the way around at about 80% .......no leaks no noise.....lights all work...good island rig.
Steel rust bad out there, sure nuff does around here so figure about 5 years tops before rusted out on any island off the coast here.

Steel rust bad out there, sure nuff does around here so figure about 5 years tops before rusted out on any island off the coast here.

Not so bad out there......they don't salt the roads in the winter.....many very old cars out there...as long as the paint holds up they do pretty good.....many cars from the sixtys still chugging around.....friend Steve's wife Rosie drives a 66 Dodge Dart in near perfect condition.......Steve runs around in a 63 1 ton Power wagon with winches front and rear.....again.... near mint. And of course the are a number a Model A's and similar year Chebbys.....and of course remember my 68 Saab 96......no rust on that either.....

Not so bad out there......they don't salt the roads in the winter.....many very old cars out there...as long as the paint holds up they do pretty good.....many cars from the sixtys still chugging around.....friend Steve's wife Rosie drives a 66 Dodge Dart in near perfect condition.......Steve runs around in a 63 1 ton Power wagon with winches front and rear.....again.... near mint. And of course the are a number a Model A's and similar year Chebbys.....and of course remember my 68 Saab 96......no rust on that either.....
They keep em inside or something?

They keep em inside or something?

Some do.... some don't.....the older cars had more metal in them to start with and although subjected to salt air they are not subjected to direct attack from salt on the roads like mainland cars. Speeds are very slow and mileage very limited. And not all are mint.....many really beat but as there is no inspection they don't get sidelined like mainland cars...as long as it runs and you dare drive it you're good to go.....that's why it's so important that the miserable device be in excellent mechanical condition and the body secondary. There is no car ferry.......you have make arrangements with a private barge.....usually runs about $500 to get a car on or off......unless you can share with others and split the cost. I was lucky with the Saab.....we got married out there and had to rent a barge twice......once to bring the box truck over with the huge party tent and again to remove the tent......we didn't find anyone to help with the cost......the second trip, coming off with the box truck was my Saab, Steves 51 Dodge and a 6 cyl tow behind air compressor that Steve got for free because they couldn't get to run.......LOL Steve filed the points and she purred like a kitten.......SCORE!!!!!

Latest posts

Back