Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 576094 What a pile of wires!!!! Not going to need anywhere near this many!!! One of these harnesses was for the carb and intake manifold....Speaking of the manifold......what the heck is this rig? It had a wire coming out of it. It bolts up into the bottom of the manifold directly under the carb and has a number of 1/8" dia. pins sticking up about 1.5".......some kind of sensor I guess....the manifold was covered with sensors......had to buy 5 pipe plugs to plug all the holes!! And stihl have to make a block off plate for the EGR....this is the most complicated, carbureted inline 6 cyl I've evah seen.......I 'spect it was the doing of an out of work Stihl engineer who got hired buy Mopar......

View attachment 576090 View attachment 576091 View attachment 576092 View attachment 576093
Robin is that some sort of intake heater?

I don't know....perhaps it WAS.......the intake manifold is water cooled/heated.....I know nothing about this rig other than whatever it's function is, it no longer does that.....it got the big "snip".....right now it just plugs a giant hole in the bottom of the intake manifold.....the other funny thing about this intake/exhaust setup is the intake and exhaust are not bolted together like most other 6 cyl manifolds including the older AMC motor I'm putting in. I have to use this intake/exhaust as it has bosses to bolt the throttle linkage to and the Hornet iron intake does not.

View attachment 576094 What a pile of wires!!!! Not going to need anywhere near this many!!! One of these harnesses was for the carb and intake manifold....Speaking of the manifold......what the heck is this rig? It had a wire coming out of it. It bolts up into the bottom of the manifold directly under the carb and has a number of 1/8" dia. pins sticking up about 1.5".......some kind of sensor I guess....the manifold was covered with sensors......had to buy 5 pipe plugs to plug all the holes!! And stihl have to make a block off plate for the EGR....this is the most complicated, carbureted inline 6 cyl I've evah seen.......I 'spect it was the doing of an out of work Stihl engineer who got hired buy Mopar......

View attachment 576090 View attachment 576091 View attachment 576092 View attachment 576093
That wierd object you mention isn't a sensor. That actually was a heating element for cold starts. I bypassed it on my 4.2 and did the nutter bypass on the distributor. If you have the Carter 2bbd electronic feedback carb swap it for a motor craft 2 barrel of an old 302 v8. They work fantastic for the old 4.2l engines

That wierd object you mention isn't a sensor. That actually was a heating element for cold starts. I bypassed it on my 4.2 and did the nutter bypass on the distributor. If you have the Carter 2bbd electronic feedback carb swap it for a motor craft 2 barrel of an old 302 v8. They work fantastic for the old 4.2l engines

Ah-ha......ok that's good info....thanks......I am bypassing every thing electric except the dash pot and the electric choke and using the Carter two barrel from the 77 Hornet......and it that doesn't work out...I'll go with a two barrel Webber and manual choke. This is my first foray into Jeepdom.......used to drive series Land Rovers for years.....rescued many CJs....and others up to 3/4 ton FWDs.....whole 'nuther beast.......I always used to say "Jeeps are an on road vehicle with 4wd off-road capabilities.....Land Rovers are off-road vehicles with two wheel drive on-road capabilities".........it seems I still have four of them.......projects now one and all!!!

Well I hit a small snag today on this project.......yesterday I installed the harmonic damper from the 85 on the 77 motor and installed the water pump pulley and fan............today I noticed the pulleys were offset about 3/8".......not good.......this is the point where I learn more about the 1980/81 total motor change they went through........with the alt bracket installed the alt pulley lines up with the crankshaft pulley perfectly.......so I had to order a 1985 water pump to get everything to line up...(hopefully)...the math works out so I'm confident....I love learning......but it seems that knowledge comes with a $$$$$$ cost.....but no matter...was trying to use the Hornet water pump as it felt nice and tight and looked to be recently replaced......but where this rig is going I won't begrudge a new water pump......

If you really want to wake that 4.2 up go to the junk yard and grab the top end wiring harness intake and exhaust and head out of a 96 4.0 Cherokee. Block the water passages on one side of the head with epoxy and it will give you 4.5l displacement and fuel injection with about and extra 75 ponies and 60-70 torque. I've done a couple and wouldn't go back to carb afterwards

All I did this afternoon chainsaw related was wash up some of the parts to the latest 026 parts saw. I don`t know how such a low hour saw could be so dirtied up but the oil n sawdust washes off easily. Later model 026 with the black switch,transparent fuel tank,no decomp non adjustable oiler . The piston looks like it was never stroked over.

Pioneer how are you cleaning up your saws? I've been using engine cleaner in a spray bottle with a bag over the intake and exhaust and giving it the fresh water wash down treatment then hitting them with the blower to dry them out.

Each saw may require a different amount of cleaning. This particular saw came to me in pieces as some non mechanical person tore it down and then forgot how to put it back together, I don`t know yet why it was torn down but by the looks of everything it certainly wasn`t anything that required the saw to be taken this far apart, even the muffler is very clean.

Woot.......my boat's ready but truck is problematic.....

The Bayliner is still wrapped up but it will soon be readied for this summers fun, I brought the complete outdrive home and had it soda blasted. I primed it and painted it OMC metalflake, original time period color, $95. for the paint from our local dealer. Paint looks great but I am also going to lay a few coats of clear coat on it before mounting it back on the boat.

Calling for 91° here today. Several boats were on the road or being cleaned up yesterday. I fear it is going to be a hot summer here.

A few of the bigger pleasure boats are being slid back into the water but its mostly the smaller fishing boats right now running about. Need a few more warm sunny days to bring out the party crowd.

I could be wrong but I believe that happened on the shift from v belts to serpentine.....does that sound right to you?
Sounds pretty close. Its been a while since I had my last 4.2 but I think when they switched that might have been the meal ticket.
I will say if you're swapping Carbs- Easiest to set and adjust is motorcraft, followed by the Webbers. Changing the jets (I think I ran number 43 or 44 jets)takes three minutes, four screws dont even have to remove the carb. The top half of the carb unscrews, and the jets sit nice as can be right there. I dont even remember draining the bowls last time I swapped jets. Get yourself a wideband 02 sensor and it will go along ways to tuning them in vice reading the plugs when you swap. The linkage will need a bracket made to hook it up, I made a T bracket the screwed into the motorcrafts throttle arm, then bought a ball stud from the auto parts store.

Latest posts

Back