Sure is quiet in here....do I need to start a fight?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Bayliner is still wrapped up but it will soon be readied for this summers fun, I brought the complete outdrive home and had it soda blasted. I primed it and painted it OMC metalflake, original time period color, $95. for the paint from our local dealer. Paint looks great but I am also going to lay a few coats of clear coat on it before mounting it back on the boat.

The clear coating has begun, ready for the last heavy coat and it will be done, no runs or sags so far so have fingers crossed for the last shot.

What did you find ?

This is the third 026 that has come my way with this very same problem. My first was a $5. one in a box of parts, next one was a complete running saw, I paid $45. for that one, this one was a free complete saw but completely stripped down. All it takes is a screwdriver to fix this problem, one screw, what is it?

Sounds pretty close. Its been a while since I had my last 4.2 but I think when they switched that might have been the meal ticket.
I will say if you're swapping Carbs- Easiest to set and adjust is motorcraft, followed by the Webbers. Changing the jets (I think I ran number 43 or 44 jets)takes three minutes, four screws dont even have to remove the carb. The top half of the carb unscrews, and the jets sit nice as can be right there. I dont even remember draining the bowls last time I swapped jets. Get yourself a wideband 02 sensor and it will go along ways to tuning them in vice reading the plugs when you swap. The linkage will need a bracket made to hook it up, I made a T bracket the screwed into the motorcrafts throttle arm, then bought a ball stud from the auto parts store.

I'm going to try and combine the two Carters I have to get the correct combination of parts.....basic body will be the 77 Hornet carb but have to swap out the throttle shafts as the built-in ball stud is on the wrong side for the linkage to work on that carb...also want the electric choke from the CJ carb installed on the Hornet carb......Hornet used a tube from the ex manifold to heat the choke spring but I am using the CJ ex manifold that doesn't have that feature. It'll either work or it won't.....if it gives me grief I'll make the call to Webberdirect.com and they'll send the whole kit for the 4.2 with the 38mm carb for $269.00 at my door. Tuning isn't going to be to complicated for this application.....just needs the start, idle and accelerate smoothly......if I can get that from the Carter/hybrid, that'll be fine for this one. If not the Webber kit is a simple bolt on kit.....new linkage no muss no fuss.....'cept for paying for it!!

This is the third 026 that has come my way with this very same problem. My first was a $5. one in a box of parts, next one was a complete running saw, I paid $45. for that one, this one was a free complete saw but completely stripped down. All it takes is a screwdriver to fix this problem, one screw, what is it?
No idea ?

Page II bump...rain.......like forevah.....may see the sun Thurs afternoon...then rain Friday.....wheeeee!!!!!!

4.2 coming along slowly.....got the oil pan cleaned up yesterday...took a can and a half of Easy Off and lots of brush work. Got it down to clean metal finally.....primed and painted last evening. Installed the longer oil pump pickup from the old motor. Had to "Make" a dipstick.....the original Jeep one fit in a long tube that came from 3/4 the way back on the block behind the distributer up to near the front of the engine so you stand in front of the miserable device and check the oil. The new HEI distributer is so large that the dipstick won't work......so......I installed the short dipstick tube back in the block.....of course the Hornet dipstick was to short so I took measurements of how far the dipstick extended into the base in the original Jeep motor then cut the long dipstick installed in to short tube to the correct length with my dremel and marked the "add" and "full" marks in the proper locations with the dremel cut-off wheel. The installed the base gaskets, sealed with HyloMar Blue. Then filled the base with 15-40 Ursa.....next I gutted out the Hornet distributer and lost the cam gear which made an excellent priming tool. Chucked that up in my DeWalt 20V drill and spun'er up......brandy new Mopar Performance High volume pump picked it right up......drill didn't like it I held 'er to it until I had oil coming out all 12 pushrods.....I let some smoke out of the drill so switched to a 120v 3/8 drill motor.....made smoke with that too.....well oiled now...installation not to far off....new (correct) water pump be here tomorrow or Wed....new clutch, pressure plate and throwout bearing all ready to be bolted up.....nice plastic line up tool came with the set.

Coming along nicely Robin, always pre oiled them myself,had a gutted distributor for my GM engines and run it on a 115 volt 1/2" drill for 15 - 20 mins, plenty of oil flowing off the rockers, often installed a pressure gauge on the block just for kicks, liked to see that 60- 70 lbs on a new or fresh rebuilt engine.
I had an older straight 6 250 ci that ran for 4 years with less than 12 lbs on the gauge, engine still running good when rust took the body out.

Coming along nicely Robin, always pre oiled them myself,had a gutted distributor for my GM engines and run it on a 115 volt 1/2" drill for 15 - 20 mins, plenty of oil flowing off the rockers, often installed a pressure gauge on the block just for kicks, liked to see that 60- 70 lbs on a new or fresh rebuilt engine.
I had an older straight 6 250 ci that ran for 4 years with less than 12 lbs on the gauge, engine still running good when rust took the body out.

The poor old motor from the miserable device was real tired....and was making a lot of noise and ran fairly "soft".....not a lot of power. Oil pressure would start out at 60 cold and by the time heat started coming out of the heater, oil pressure would drop to around 10psi on the road at 50 mph.......I've run a lot of real worn out 6 cyl over the years and this one didn't produce much faith.....however.....I found the timing chain hanging off the sprockets......reach up in and push the chain up and it hits the cam sprocket before it gets taught.....that goes to the amount of noise I was hearing......it didn't use a lot of oil and I 'spect a new timing chain set and it would have run for years if used normally. Inline 6 cyls were never big power houses but were always tuff as nails. Not unhappy doing all this...will feel better with a gone through engine and new clutch out where it's going.

The poor old motor from the miserable device was real tired....and was making a lot of noise and ran fairly "soft".....not a lot of power. Oil pressure would start out at 60 cold and by the time heat started coming out of the heater, oil pressure would drop to around 10psi on the road at 50 mph.......I've run a lot of real worn out 6 cyl over the years and this one didn't produce much faith.....however.....I found the timing chain hanging off the sprockets......reach up in and push the chain up and it hits the cam sprocket before it gets taught.....that goes to the amount of noise I was hearing......it didn't use a lot of oil and I 'spect a new timing chain set and it would have run for years if used normally. Inline 6 cyls were never big power houses but were always tuff as nails. Not unhappy doing all this...will feel better with a gone through engine and new clutch out where it's going.
Definitely worth the work seeing as to where it id going. A new chain and sprockets may have allowed the ole girl to limp along for a few more years but this newer spruced up engine will be much more all around.

Definitely worth the work seeing as to where it id going. A new chain and sprockets may have allowed the ole girl to limp along for a few more years but this newer spruced up engine will be much more all around.

Yep...a timing set would have made most of the noise go away but wouldn't have helped the oil pressure...or lack thereof.....good core to rebuild......a full rebuild......

Yep...a timing set would have made most of the noise go away but wouldn't have helped the oil pressure...or lack thereof.....good core to rebuild......a full rebuild......

Exactly, I have wasted time just replacing timing sets beforeon more than one engine, one the chain had cut through the cover on a 283, engine was tired but after the changeover it had much better power, the owner was seen stomping er often after and it soon tore out the crank inserts. He came back complaining the timing chain caused that, he got an earfull and shown the door....LOL

Lost a community landmark this morning........138 year old riverside inn of cambridge springs burnt to the ground
618b9e65ab8fced644e9906d740f2ac9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Exactly, I have wasted time just replacing timing sets beforeon more than one engine, one the chain had cut through the cover on a 283, engine was tired but after the changeover it had much better power, the owner was seen stomping er often after and it soon tore out the crank inserts. He came back complaining the timing chain caused that, he got an earfull and shown the door....LOL

I had the same thing happen on a 327...(same basic block)......wore right out through the timing cover.......thought it was a bad crank seal.........needed a new timing set and new cover......funny thing......that motor was in a 1969 C 30.....that motor ran 't exactly the same before as after.....didn't make a lick of difference as to how the started or ran.......I found that very strange....

Latest posts

Back