Taking down a large lawn Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lookin good there Jere. can't beat that PA hardwood.:rock2: ya gonna come to the PA GTG?

I'd like to, date is open on my very busy calendar. But, I scanned at least 200 of the 336 posts in the GTG thread and didn't see more detail on where it is besides Marysville. I usually run up the east side of the river and cross at Clarks Ferry on my way to my cabin in the mountains. But sometimes I see traffic reports and cross on 81 and wind up to Duncannon on the west side. Pretty sure I could find it with a couple hints. If you prefer to keep address more private, I can PM you. Thanks.

Thanks for the pics Jere39. This thread here is what AS is all about. People showing others how to get something done with what they have. Lots of splitting to go but at least your big mess is off the lawn now.

Beefie

Finished up the splitting today. This crappy panarama picture from my iPhone is stack number 3 out of this tree.
3rd Stack w Security.JPG

I need a bigger saw, a hydro splitter, and a younger body before I tackle one this size again. Thanks again for watching my progress, making comments, and supplying encouragement.
This season is wrapping up. I have one more White Oak down in the woods that I need to finish processing. I'll probably hitch up my log arch tomorrow and pull it out of a briar patch I dropped it in back before the snows. This one is about 20" diameter, it should be a piece of cake to clean up.

Nice job! That is a lot of NICE firewood for next year or year after. Is that a Can Am atv you got there?

Big Oak - I actually like the 2ft around stuff for firewood - this chunk was a lot of wood but what a pain to handle !
My MIL and FIL had two oaks taken out of their back yard that size last year. Those trees would have made beautiful saw logs but they were urban yard logs. I should have told them to ask to keep the larger wood and I would cut split and stack it for them. They were too far away for me to use the wood but they could have sold it for top dollar once seasoned because they are near a larger city. It would have helped pay for some of the removal...

Nice job! That is a lot of NICE firewood for next year or year after. Is that a Can Am atv you got there?

Technically, it is a 2002 Bombardier Quest 650xt. Bombardier the parent company of SkiDoo, SeaDoo, some airplanes and who knows what else switched to the umbrella name Can-Am a couple years ago. So, it is of Can-Am heritage, just some intervening name changes. Works great in the woods. I need to keep the snow packed down on my drag and haul trails or it will swamp in mid-February snow, but I enjoy it for re-enacting parking garage scenes from Tokyo Drift in my lawn then.

P1070278.JPG

Great thread and great pictures! Enjoyed running through it today. Kind of reminds me of cleaning up this white oak last winter. It tipped over in the storm and completely blocked our lane. We (neighbors and I) got the lane clear is about 2 hours, but cleaning the whole thing up took weeks. Wound up with nearly 5 cords of firewood from the crown and and 650 bd-ft of quartersawn lumber from the main stem.
20140205_104238_zpsa43c7f32.jpg

Back