New member with possibly dying oak tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiraz

Reaction score
I recently moved from Alaska to Oklahoma (big change in foliage!). The land was not very cared for. One of my nicest oak trees might be dying – I’m not sure (don’t know much about oak). It was absolutely covered in vines and most of the branches on one side were broken. Any limbs I pull on are dry and just break off.
I might have messed up but I cut back some of the dead limbs looking for life- I found hollowed out and black area. Any chance she will survive?

Attachments

• IMG_2376.jpeg
    IMG_2376.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2377.jpeg
    IMG_2377.jpeg
    7.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2378.jpeg
    IMG_2378.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2379.jpeg
    IMG_2379.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9193.jpeg
    IMG_9193.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
I recently moved from Alaska to Oklahoma (big change in foliage!). The land was not very cared for. One of my nicest oak trees might be dying – I’m not sure (don’t know much about oak). It was absolutely covered in vines and most of the branches on one side were broken. Any limbs I pull on are dry and just break off.
I might have messed up but I cut back some of the dead limbs looking for life- I found hollowed out and black area. Any chance she will survive?

Any live material removed likely shortens the life of this tree and there looks to be lots of live wood in that pile of brush.

It takes years sometimes decades to turn a tree from declining to maintaining it's status quo and then to being in good health again with a good future. Chainsaws are almost never to the benefit to the tree nor are most tree owners!

Removing the vines was a good move but we would have to see more of the limbs you removed to tell if you've done the tree good, or done the tree bad.

Welcome to the site!

Back