Teaching Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdt7618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi Guys.

my little Dudes are becoming more and more interested in " having " a go of the saw, now there is no way I would hand over the MS361. But a few question for you all, however first in formost it will be safety, safety, safety

At what age did you teach your kids, and how did you go about it?
And what saw would suit best, am thinking something MS180 sized, which would also double up as a good limb/coppice saw.

thanks in advance

I waited till 12 and 14. I let them use my 445. Heavy enough for them to respect and tire them. I put a safety chain on and supervised them very closely. After a few cuts they said sheesh dad Its a lot easier to load the trailer than cut wood. They have not asked to cut since they found out it's HARD work cutting too! My logic on a medium size saw was it to be heavy enough and powerful for the them to respect it. Like the difference between a 20 gauge shotgun and a .22 rifle. Shotgun must be respected to be shot. My logic anyhow.

FWIW I started at 11 with a Husky 41.

Start off with bucking small to medium sized logs that are off the ground preferably in a saw horse so they won't roll and that also prevents the chain from hitting the dirt. Then after that has been mastered I would drop an evergreen and show them how to limb, taking their time and doing a good job. Then you could drop some more trees and let them do the limbing and bucking. No felling until the basics have been mastered.

What is your budget for a "starter saw" for them? You are going to be getting around the $275-$300 price range for a new name brand homeonwner 40 cc saw but a Poulan 4218 is around $170 (on that note the 5020 is only a few bucks more but has more weight and poor balance).

For training, start with a limbing saw. Small electric models are available cheap, they're easy for a young person to handle and learn the basics at home. Move him up to a small gas saw; he can cut brush and buck limbs at the job site. Limbing is good learning work, you'll get pinches and binds but on a smaller scale.

That's kinda how I got started at 12... but with a heavy old Mac. My arms were aching after a few minutes of that. :)

For training, start with a limbing saw. Small electric models are available cheap, they're easy for a young person to handle and learn the basics at home. Move him up to a small gas saw; he can cut brush and buck limbs at the job site. Limbing is good learning work, you'll get pinches and binds but on a smaller scale.

That's kinda how I got started at 12... but with a heavy old Mac. My arms were aching after a few minutes of that. :)

Try a Mall with a 4' bar at 14. Only ran that one once and then as the outboard helper guy. Then graduated to a Mac and we added a posthole digger. That thing would spin the operator around if it caught a rock.

21 year interval of no saw in the military and bought at 360 pro homelite. Was shocked to find out that it was direct drive. Never looked back and have owned, abused and wore out just about one saw of every popular make. Worst one was Poulan bought new, the last pro saw they made. That thing would not hold a carb setting for more than an hour, constant fiddling required.

Harry K

Hi Guys.

my little Dudes are becoming more and more interested in " having " a go of the saw, now there is no way I would hand over the MS361. But a few question for you all, however first in formost it will be safety, safety, safety

At what age did you teach your kids, and how did you go about it?
And what saw would suit best, am thinking something MS180 sized, which would also double up as a good limb/coppice saw.

thanks in advance

In addition to "how to do it", be sure to include the maintenance, chain filing, etc.

Harry K

I learned on the my dads 272xp i now own at 12 or 13. Very careful instruction and being taught proper respect for the potential danger are critical. I learned with a 24" bar an full chisel. I think its also critical to gauge your childs aptitude without bias when deciding when and how to teach.

6c6e433f0f42d43170f61693f86e9377.jpg
7594e5b12d212a0f9aa8c2eb70271d96.jpg

Clearly a saw that they can handle, size and weight wise.

Do you wear PPE? If you want them to, find some that fits. Ever 'one-hand' the saw? Want them to? Cut on the ground, steadying the log with one foot, or use a saw buck?

You can talk all you want to, but they will copy what they see you do.

Philbert

18 to 20 years old. They can grasp the concepts better then. Then go straight to chainsaw milling. And CAD, chainsaw acquisition disease. Actually, it wasn't so much by choice. We bought a piece of property with trees about then. Before that there wasn't much call for chainsawing.

Took my great nephew back to knock down some poplar trees. His mother freaked when she seen the pictures.
Safety 1st, No glasses -- check, Flip flops ---check, Eye on the target --- nope --- check.
He was actually scared sheetless of the saw and cutting down trees. I've cut logs into rounds at their house before but he was well out of the way then. I did the pictures in stages and had him move far away each time I did a cut. He would never stay where I told him to stand, he would always run farther away as soon as I turned my back. Then I had to find him before I could do the cut. Kept telling him I need to be able to see him while I cut. He was afraid the tree would fall on him. He's lead a bit of a sheltered life.
IMG_00000710.jpg IMG_00000711.jpg IMG_00000713.jpg IMG_00000715.jpg

l bought a MS150c rear handle with my nephew in mind, but he is to little at five too use it yet...he can pick it up and hold it but at the moment we cut together with my hands holding the saw too. +1 on what Philbert says with PPE and good practice.

Guys thanks for all the posts, loving some of the pics.

my 10 year old is the most up for it, but to be honest he has a few year of "maturing" as can goof off alot, not something I will entertain near a saw. The are always around when I am sawing, Full Stihl chainsaw trousers, eye, ear protection and steel toe boots.

SVK, will in all likelyhood pic up something second hand, saws are expensive in the UK and would be a big outlay on a new limbing saw, have thought about a used MS240/260 and then sell on my MS361 and upgrade to a MS441 or MS460 would give me a decent combo.

Clearly a saw that they can handle, size and weight wise.

Do you wear PPE? If you want them to, find some that fits. Ever 'one-hand' the saw? Want them to? Cut on the ground, steadying the log with one foot, or use a saw buck?

You can talk all you want to, but they will copy what they see you do.

Philbert

One of my favorite day dreams is of my boys being old enough to help their old man with firewood to keep their mama and little sister warm during the cold winter months.
I pray that from today until about their early teen years not pass too quickly, but I think that's about the age I will start learning them to operate a saw.

One of my favorite day dreams is of my boys being old enough to help their old man with firewood to keep their mama and little sister warm during the cold winter months.
I pray that from today until about their early teen years not pass too quickly, but I think that's about the age I will start learning them to operate a saw.
+1

The picture is from a few years ago. I started Parker off at 10 but each kid is different. I am not sure I would let his older brother (20 at the time) use a saw. Progressive instruction with lots of supervision. DSC02908.JPG DSC02910.JPG

Back