Thinking about MS 400. Is my 462 a keeper?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to retract my comments above. I was looking at the weight of the MS461. I didn't realize they had pulled almost 2 lbs out when they went to the 462. At 13 lbs, if I had the 462, I wouldn't see any advantage moving to and MS400. 1.6 oz of weight is that big of a deal, switch a shorter, or a lighter bar for the majority of your work. Its way cheaper than buying a new powerhead. :)

I have to retract my comments above. I was looking at the weight of the MS461. I didn't realize they had pulled almost 2 lbs out when they went to the 462. At 13 lbs, if I had the 462, I wouldn't see any advantage moving to and MS400. 1.6 oz of weight is that big of a deal, switch a shorter, or a lighter bar for the majority of your work. Its way cheaper than buying a new powerhead. :)
The 400 weighs 12.8 and the 462 13.9 according to Stihl.
The 400 feels noticeably smaller and lighter when handling them.

The 400 weighs 12.8 and the 462 13.9 according to Stihl.
The 400 feels noticeably smaller and lighter when handling them.
My first google search this morning listed the 462 at 13 lbs. Just checked Stihls website and they list it at 13.2 lbs which would put it at 0.4 lbs heavier than the MS400.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms462cm/
If I had a 462, I'd still opt for a lighter or shorter bar instead of buying an MS400. If I didn't have a 70cc saw and was going to buy one, I'd probably go with the MS400 because it is a little lighter and I already have a 90cc saw if I need something bigger.

My first google search this morning listed the 462 at 13 lbs. Just checked Stihls website and they list it at 13.2 lbs which would put it at 0.4 lbs heavier than the MS400.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain-saws/professional-saws/ms462cm/
If I had a 462, I'd still opt for a lighter or shorter bar instead of buying an MS400. If I didn't have a 70cc saw and was going to buy one, I'd probably go with the MS400 because it is a little lighter and I already have a 90cc saw if I need something bigger.
Yes, you are correct 13.2. I might have been quoting the weight of the full wrap version.
I wouldn't buy a 400 if I had a 462 either, but for the guy cutting firewood a 400 is about perfect.

Damn autocorrect.
With a chainsaw and given the bore and stroke the pistons speeds are not high enough to grenade a piston.
What about rings snagging on the exhaust port from over revving, which will eventually break the ring-land. Would that qualify in your book as grenading or not?

Let's say it takes 20 seconds. If full throttle unloaded is harmfull why would they have you do this?

I don't disagree, never did.

When I said around 8-9 seconds I meant the saw running at max RPM, not while it's running at low RPM before it takes off, once it takes off it's never been more than 8-9 seconds before it drops off again and the calibration is complete.

Back