New saw help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran an original 550. It would stall at the merest suggestion of a pinch. This with a 16" bar. Otherwise it was a delightfully snappy thing with superior antivibe and nice handling.

Maybe the mkII is a little torquier, idk.
The original 550 I have screams with a 16" bar and hand sharpened chain. If it gets pinched I agree it will stall (stay running but bog down and fall off the clutch). I don't see this as a downside.
Have some hot start issues on a very hot day. Perfect on fair to cold days.
It has been a fantastic and dead reliable saw. Just keeps going.

20" is too long for it IMO.
I have a 20" on the 555/562 and that's appropriate. Also really like that saw...

I would definitely buy a mkii at the $599 referenced above if it fell off the truck.

But I love the big saws too.

Both Husky and Stihl have good and bad points. Don’t get too hung up on brand, but do take into account dealer support, go with the friendliest, most welcoming and helpful.

A 50-60 cc with 20” bar from either brand is ideal for your needs. Going for a 70cc saw as a one saw plan will likely get a bit heavy without offering much advantage.

I had a chat with my dealer yesterday. The 562xp mk2 is still in limbo status and they are unsure when they will have them. I asked about a 550xp mk2 and they are currently not bringing them in due to bearing issues and they mentioned they will not bring any in until it’s addressed. I think I’m going to head in and compare what’s available side by side and go from there.

I got to handle a few saws yesterday. The 572xp and the 562 as well as the 261cm and the the 362cm. Also I was able to handle the 540xp Mk3.
The T540 I could see as a great little saw as part of a two saw plan but I don’t like the top handle.
The 572xp is definitely heavy by comparison and feels heavy the hand but it does balance well.
The 362 and the 562 both feel great. I think I prefer the overall feel and balance of the 562.
The 261 is a very nice and light machine, but with a difference in cost of $50 cad and not much of a weight difference between them, I’m thinking it may be the way to go.
Then there is the Echo dealer who has the 620p for less than all of them. I have zero experience with Echo and with only one dealer near by that is a concern.

I had a chat with my dealer yesterday. The 562xp mk2 is still in limbo status and they are unsure when they will have them. I asked about a 550xp mk2 and they are currently not bringing them in due to bearing issues and they mentioned they will not bring any in until it’s addressed. I think I’m going to head in and compare what’s available side by side and go from there.
Bearing issues. Still. Gawd what a mess. Sad.

Buy the 261.

The echo is a good saw. Workmanlike. Not very exciting to run. Air filtration not the greatest, but can be easily rectified with an o-ring. It still gets dirty too fast, but not a big deal. Handles kinda like a good handling cinder block, but ok. Torquey, but not snappy. The best "farm saw", imo. I have a 590. I'm glad to have it. I haven"t run the "pro" 590's (620), but I wouldn't pay the extra because it's still not "pro" anyway.

The best bet, really, is to comb the "for sales" for a pristine used older saw. Unfortunately they are better machines.

The original 550 I have screams with a 16" bar and hand sharpened chain. If it gets pinched I agree it will stall (stay running but bog down and fall off the clutch). I don't see this as a downside.
Have some hot start issues on a very hot day. Perfect on fair to cold days.
It has been a fantastic and dead reliable saw. Just keeps going.

20" is too long for it IMO.
I have a 20" on the 555/562 and that's appropriate. Also really like that saw...

I would definitely buy a mkii at the $599 referenced above if it fell off the truck.

But I love the big saws too.

They are bordering on hopeless on truly cold days. So like I said...

I pick up my new 362 tomorrow. The dealer offered me a price I couldn’t say no to so I jumped on it. I think I will be very happy!
Thank you everyone for your reply’s it is really appreciated.
Congrats-it's a quality saw. Don't forget to upgrade your warranty by buying a 4 Liter can of Stihl fuel (or four 950ml cans). They give you an additional year.

Also, get the 25"light bar- you'll be able to tackle anything and won't have to bend over as much.

I got to handle a few saws yesterday. The 572xp and the 562 as well as the 261cm and the the 362cm. Also I was able to handle the 540xp Mk3.
The T540 I could see as a great little saw as part of a two saw plan but I don’t like the top handle.
The 572xp is definitely heavy by comparison and feels heavy the hand but it does balance well.
The 362 and the 562 both feel great. I think I prefer the overall feel and balance of the 562.
The 261 is a very nice and light machine, but with a difference in cost of $50 cad and not much of a weight difference between them, I’m thinking it may be the way to go.
Then there is the Echo dealer who has the 620p for less than all of them. I have zero experience with Echo and with only one dealer near by that is a concern.
Handle, as in, pick them up or as in, cut wood with them? Slight difference :p
you are a big guy…get a bigger saw. Yes, smaller saws will, eventually, get through a big log. But, why not have a saw that will cut up that log in, literally half the time? 😁
oops, missed your last. So, now to the 2-saw plan…🤣

I don't know if you still have to lubricate the clutch bearings on new Stihl saws, but that was a thing when I got my OE 362. They arrived bone dry from the factory.

Handle, as in, pick them up or as in, cut wood with them? Slight difference :p
you are a big guy…get a bigger saw. Yes, smaller saws will, eventually, get through a big log. But, why not have a saw that will cut up that log in, literally half the time? 😁
oops, missed your last. So, now to the 2-saw plan…🤣
Well….

Looks like all of the advice I was given has paid off and set me in the right direction.

Congrats-it's a quality saw. Don't forget to upgrade your warranty by buying a 4 Liter can of Stihl fuel (or four 950ml cans). They give you an additional year.

Also, get the 25"light bar- you'll be able to tackle anything and won't have to bend over as much.
This was the first thing the dealer told me. I have to say I was impressed by their customer service. The guy was honest about everything, including which brands and models were most often in the shop and why. Never once did he try to steer me towards a bigger or more expensive unit.

Of course you do. But would you look at it on a brand new saw? A bunch of years ago they were installed dry as a bone and were a plastic-caged needle bearing. I don't know about that on the newest models.
Back in the 80s we all used to grease them regularly...266 husky, 044, 066 stihl...

I pick up my new 362 tomorrow. The dealer offered me a price I couldn’t say no to so I jumped on it. I think I will be very happy!
Thank you everyone for your reply’s it is really appreciated.
Put a front cover on it or modify another one. It can be best mod to the new muffler. Save the original cover for warranty dealer work when needed.
Enjoy

Back