Help deciding on Stihl Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrinJe

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm new, live in Norway.

I have an electric Stiga CS700 and it has been working well, but lately I have been looking into having a two saw plan for the bigger trees. I cut my own firewood and help my dad at the farm.

In general we do not have big trees, so I think a 20" light bar is my choice. I started looking at Husqvarna 562/572, but after realising how much lighter the Stihl saws are, I'm leaning more and more towards them. Started looking at a 400, but they are kind of expensive and it only cosy 150-200 dollars more for a 462. Then I found some amazing offers on 500i and that again is only 200 dollars more.

The absolutely most important thing for me, is that I want a saw that last. I somehow think the simple 400/462 will last longer. Does that make sense?

I will mostly stick to 20" bar, is there any benefit at all for a 500i over 462?

I don't want to end up in a situation we're I'm thinking "what if?"

Thanks for reading and I'm eagerly waiting for the responses.

I think if I were looking for a saw to run a 20" bar, I would be looking at an MS261C-M.
Thanks for the answer. For the small stuff i have my electric saw, so i wanted a bit bigger saw, so i could run a 25, maybe even a 28 if it would ever be needed. I don't plan to buy many more saws and just looking for a powerful saw that will last many many years.

I'm pretty sure if the 400 was 100-200 dollars cheaper i would 100% go for that, it just feels awkward getting it when i could rather go up to the 70 cc saws with a small addition. The 400 is already 1200-1300 dollars where i live.

So I would say for a 25" Bar, the 60 cc class (in my case 036 and 034 Super) will work well. It takes a pretty good hunk of wood to need the 28" bar I have on my 044. And the 044 is a lot less fun than my 024 for anything in the 18" range. I had to cut a blowdown cherry tree out of my driveway last week. I had been using my 044 to deal with storm damage all day. by the time I got it out of my driveway, I wished I hadn't been lugging the 044 all day. I am foolish, and do have some access to bigger wood, so I have a variety of saws, from 024 to 066. I replaced a wore out Poulan 60 cc saw with the 044 on a sweet deal from a buddy that ended up with an extra and an 046. He figured 4 - 70cc class saws was more than he needed. It would have made more sense for me to get a smaller saw, but MOAR PWAR!. So I do understand.

But my vote for your desires(and even needs) would be to consider a 362 or the 400.

So I would say for a 25" Bar, the 60 cc class (in my case 036 and 034 Super) will work well. It takes a pretty good hunk of wood to need the 28" bar I have on my 044. And the 044 is a lot less fun than my 024 for anything in the 18" range. I had to cut a blowdown cherry tree out of my driveway last week. I had been using my 044 to deal with storm damage all day. by the time I got it out of my driveway, I wished I hadn't been lugging the 044 all day. I am foolish, and do have some access to bigger wood, so I have a variety of saws, from 024 to 066. I replaced a wore out Poulan 60 cc saw with the 044 on a sweet deal from a buddy that ended up with an extra and an 046. He figured 4 - 70cc class saws was more than he needed. It would have made more sense for me to get a smaller saw, but MOAR PWAR!. So I do understand.

But my vote for your desires(and even needs) would be to consider a 362 or the 400.
you should put a 16"-18" on those 61cc saws and the 25" on the 044, It will wake them up
You might be surprised what an MS261 can get done, it helps that it is light as well
same advice, put a 16" .325 setup on that 261 and wake it up

Everywhere I look guys are putting the longest bar possible on saws and it slows them way down, yea the saw can pull it but its like putting a 5th wheel hitch in the bed of a 1/4 ton pickup truck with granny gears. I know a guy with a mountain of modern strato saws parts because they all came with the longest bar suggested by the manufacturer as requested by the purchaser. They were adjusted as rich as possible but it was not enough with limiter caps in place resulting in scored pistons and cylinders after making repeated full length bar cuts. It really is crippling that they are all equipped with super stingy bar oil pumps because more and more models are being designed to use thinner kerf chains/bars so a longer bar can be equipped on a weaker powerhead. "bar size sells saws to consumers not displacement"

I’d be looking at a 261 or 400.

462 or 500 just aren’t necessary.

And at what point do you say “$100-$200 step up is just not warranted?” Cause if you keep following your “but for only a couple hundred more…”. You’ll end up with an 881, simply because there is no where else to go for just a couple hundred more.

Honestly, I think its a flip of a coin between the 400 and 462. It really just depends on whether you're wanting a saw that can run a 36" bar or not. For your needs, I really think a MS400 is a better fit. A 462 Is overkill (ie more weight than is useful) with a 20" bar. If you get an MS400 and put a light weight 20" bar on it, you may not run your electric saw much any more.

Honestly, you'd probably be surprised at how much more capable the 262 is with an 18" bar than what you're getting from an electric saw, and the weight will be pretty similar. The 262 is a bump up from its older 026 ancestor, and isn't in the same category as something like and MS251 (which would be about equal to a battery powered saw). If you had a 262, I'd say get a 462 because its a bigger jump.

Hi guys,

I'm new, live in Norway.

I have an electric Stiga CS700 and it has been working well, but lately I have been looking into having a two saw plan for the bigger trees. I cut my own firewood and help my dad at the farm.

In general we do not have big trees, so I think a 20" light bar is my choice. I started looking at Husqvarna 562/572, but after realising how much lighter the Stihl saws are, I'm leaning more and more towards them. Started looking at a 400, but they are kind of expensive and it only cosy 150-200 dollars more for a 462. Then I found some amazing offers on 500i and that again is only 200 dollars more.

The absolutely most important thing for me, is that I want a saw that last. I somehow think the simple 400/462 will last longer. Does that make sense?

I will mostly stick to 20" bar, is there any benefit at all for a 500i over 462?

I don't want to end up in a situation we're I'm thinking "what if?"

Thanks for reading and I'm eagerly waiting for the responses.
I have not used a 462 but the 500i is more powerful and cuts faster. My current saw is the 500i. I am happy with it. It might outlast me.

I think if I were looking for a saw to run a 20" bar, I would be looking at an MS261C-M.
I run a 20" on my 500i. I rarely need anything longer for firewood, but I have a 25" if I do. A 261 would work, but I have found that the 500i is less fatiguing than a smaller saw, as it takes little pressure in the cut to get the job done, and it lets you finish the job in less time. I used to have an 038 Super and a 441C. The 500i gets far more wood cut per time spent.

And at what point do you say “$100-$200 step up is just not warranted?” Cause if you keep following your “but for only a couple hundred more…”. You’ll end up with an 881, simply because there is no where else to go for just a couple hundred more.
Ah, but the 500i is lighter than any other saw in its power class. The 881 would wear me out after a while, with its high weight.

Just traded up from a 440 to a 462C (same weight). Now looking at going from an 028WB to a 261C, Stihl is offering them with a 20" bar, extra chain, a "violin case" and Stihl ball cap for $680 here. With 20, 25 and 28" bars for the 462, I wood rather have a 16" or 18" on the 261.... But really liked the light weight when I hefted that 261! 5-10 cord year, hardwood, firewood use with a soon to be 70YO body. Thinking on a Milwaukee M18 chain saw sooner or later.

Hehe, I absolutely see your point. And you are right, it just feels awkward in my stomach to buy a 400 when 500i is 300-400 dollars (30%) more.

I guess at the end of the day my heart wanted everyone to agreee I clearly should go 500i, even though my brain says 400.

Thanks for you insights.

I just looked up the Stiga CS700. Weight is just under 8 lbs with just over 1.5 hp. Start off with an MS261. It is a big step up from what you currently use. The 261 weights just under 11 lbs and puts out 4.5 hp. Get a 16" and a 20" bar for it. Run that for a few seasons and then decide if you need something bigger or not.

Just traded up from a 440 to a 462C (same weight). Now looking at going from an 028WB to a 261C, Stihl is offering them with a 20" bar, extra chain, a "violin case" and Stihl ball cap for $680 here. With 20, 25 and 28" bars for the 462, I wood rather have a 16" or 18" on the 261.... But really liked the light weight when I hefted that 261! 5-10 cord year, hardwood, firewood use with a soon to be 70YO body. Thinking on a Milwaukee M18 chain saw sooner or later.
I've run the 028 AV quite a bit over the years (dad bought his new in '98). I run an 026 for a small saw, and would love to upgrade to a 261, but don't really "need" do. I run 18" and 20" bars on mine because I'm just limbing with it and I like the extra reach. A friend of mine (who's a little older than you) has been running 026 saws for decades with 16" bars and LOVES them. Go ahead and get one with the 20" bar, but get a 16" to go with it. Not sure what bar you're running on the 028, but keep in mind that it fits the 026/260/261 too :)

you should put a 16"-18" on those 61cc saws and the 25" on the 044, It will wake them up

same advice, put a 16" .325 setup on that 261 and wake it up

Everywhere I look guys are putting the longest bar possible on saws and it slows them way down, yea the saw can pull it but its like putting a 5th wheel hitch in the bed of a 1/4 ton pickup truck with granny gears. I know a guy with a mountain of modern strato saws parts because they all came with the longest bar suggested by the manufacturer as requested by the purchaser. They were adjusted as rich as possible but it was not enough with limiter caps in place resulting in scored pistons and cylinders after making repeated full length bar cuts. It really is crippling that they are all equipped with super stingy bar oil pumps because more and more models are being designed to use thinner kerf chains/bars so a longer bar can be equipped on a weaker powerhead. "bar size sells saws to consumers not displacement"
I disagree. MY 024 with a 16" 0.325 is plenty woke enough. For me, the balance of the 044 with the 28" bar is perfect. I chose the 28" bar more to reduce bending than anything. I don't run a 25" on the 61 cc saws, I agree it's really more bar than necessary. If I need more than a 20" bar, then it's time to grab the 044.

Oh yeah. I run full skip chain on the 044. I have very little hard wood, even my maple is much softer than what much of the country sees. I have cut some Garry White Oak, and it's pretty hard, but it rarely is bigger than 16".

It's only money buy once cry once what's a couple hundred bucks over the life of the saw. Get what you want. The 500i is a fun saw to cut with in bigger wood. once the fun wears off you start reaching for the smallest lightest saw that will get the job done. A 261/500l combo would be sweet.

Latest posts

Back