Help me with my two-saw plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’d lean towards a MS 400 C-M, but you mentioned you want a plain Jane carburetor. I prefer the Stihl, but an Echo CS-590 or 620 might make a lot of sense for you. Echo’s are incredibly simple and reliable. The MS 400 is an upgrade, IMO (albeit expensive), if you’re ok with the electronics.

You need to decide how much you're willing to spend and when you're willing to spend it. Be warned, a 2 saw plan often evolves into a 3 saw plan, and then a 4 and 5 saw plan. At that point, CAD has taken hold... Realistically, you need to consider how long you run a chainsaw when you're using them. You may not use them frequently, but if you tend to run the saw for 8 to 12 hrs at a time when you ARE using them, you really need to be willing to spend money on the pro models. If you're taking 15 min to make 4 cuts to clear a limb or trunk out of a laneway, and cutting for a few hours at a time to get a few loads of firewood, then you might want to trim back your budget and save some money. Personally, when I'm running a saw, its often an all day endeavor so my advice will reflect that.

I'm not familiar with your 201. My opinion is that powerheads that are lighter than 10 lbs are often so week on power that they aren't worth owning. For that reason, the 026/260 family of saws is as small as I'm normally willing to go unless you're talking about a top handle which can provide other benefits. Thus, I would start by looking for a used 261 in good condition for a reasonable price. I do not own a 261 (yet), but at 4 hp, I'd say that it is an absolutely excellent choice for your small saw. If you like using your 201, don't sell it until you have a saw that you like using more than the 201.

From there it becomes a question of how big do you really need to go. I also haven't run a 400, but it's looking really impressive on paper. It's a nice step up from a 261, and would make for a great choice for the bigger end of a 2 saw plan. I'm shocked that Stihl recommends a 20" guide bar for the 400. With a 20" bar, it would be an extremely fast saw for bucking firewood. I'm not sure how long of a bar the oiler will handle, but I suspect that it can handle at least 28". That's enough to handle a 4' log once in a while.

Sell the 291 as fast as you can. It weighs as much as a 362, almost as much as a 400, barely has more power than the old 026, and less power than the 261. I'd also avoid the MS360 family of saws. I have a pair of 036 saws and I love them. Multiple people have run the 036, MS360, and/or MS361 have been disappointed with the 362. Realistically, with the 261, and the 400, this line of saws is becoming obsolete as a professional model.

If you really need to run a guide bar that's 25" or more, but the need is infrequent enough that you can't justify buying a saw to do it, then I would consider a Chinese G660 (066 clone). It's a lot heavier, but at 92cc it will easily run a 36" bar. Mine normally wears a 28" bar with a full comp chain. It's heavy enough that I'd rather not run it, but if I'm going to do much cutting in wood that's over 20", it's worth dealing with the extra weight. I often use mine to noodle large rounds in halves or quarters so that I can lift them onto my splitter. Whether it's Stihl or a Chinese clone, you don't save much money going down from a 90cc saw to something in the high 70s. On the used market around here, a MS460 sells for just as much, and often more than an MS660 in the same condition and the MS660s are easier to find. On the clones, the G660 and G466 sell for the same price. For me, I'd rather have the bigger saw because on rare occasion I do need to run a bar that's 36" or more. For me It's worth dealing with the extra weight of the power head so that I have the extra HP when I need it. If I were constantly needing to run a 25" or 28" bar, I'd add a lighter 70cc saw to my collection.

On the clones, do your research before you buy one. They are great saws for the money, but their is a reason you can buy them new for $300 or less. There are a few parts that you should swap out for Stihl replacements right off the bat. The work is straight forward and easy, and the saws are developing a pretty good reputation from those who realize that you're not going to get something for nothing. Personally, if my 026 or my 036 died on me this weekend, I'd order a blue replacement immediately. Then again, I'm not afraid to wrench on my saws, and I have a few extra saws to use if one of them happens to be down. If I were not willing to wrench on a saw, and had absolutely no interest in ever owning more than 2 saws, I'd likely avoid the clones and be willing to spend 3x more money for a new OEM saw. FWIW, I've never bought a brand new chainsaw. For that matter, I've never bought a new car, tractor, lawn mower, or tiller either. The only new gas powered tools I've bought are string trimmers. :)

So my general takeaway from the posts so far is that...

A good two-saw plan would be my current MS 201 and an MS 400. I'm not completely opposed to an M-Tronic, as that is what is on my 201.

I'd definitely keep the 201, I have a similar saw and love it. For the bigger saw it really depends on the size of wood you'll be cutting the most. If it's lots of 16" and up I'd lean toward 60-70cc. If closer to 12" then 50cc may be perfect. Let's face it, in a year you'll be posting here asking about a three-saw plan, so get the 50cc now and start thinking about which 70+cc you'll get later!
If @esean is right (and my wife will probably kill me), a good three-saw plan would be to go with my MS 201 and add an MS 261 followed by an MS 462.

I have thought about Huskys and think they are fine saws. However, I have an excellent relationship with my Stihl dealer and know that if something broke he's going to fix it right the first time and take care of me.

Now, here's what is going to make the difference for me. I have one friend with a 400 and a friend of a friend with a 462. I've offered to help them buck some logs. The first-hand experience will help me decide.

@fields_mj Gives good advice here on the clones. You absolutely must be comfortable with tearing them down to the piston before pulling the cord. If that doesn't suit you, buy a Stihl/Husky/Echo and don't look back.

So my general takeaway from the posts so far is that...

A good two-saw plan would be my current MS 201 and an MS 400. I'm not completely opposed to an M-Tronic, as that is what is on my 201.

If @esean is right (and my wife will probably kill me), a good three-saw plan would be to go with my MS 201 and add an MS 261 followed by an MS 462.

I have thought about Huskys and think they are fine saws. However, I have an excellent relationship with my Stihl dealer and know that if something broke he's going to fix it right the first time and take care of me.

Now, here's what is going to make the difference for me. I have one friend with a 400 and a friend of a friend with a 462. I've offered to help them buck some logs. The first-hand experience will help me decide.
That 3 saw plan is spot on. I too have a Ms201 but i also have a 550xp (50cc) and a dolmar 7900 (79cc).
My advice is to tell your wife your only going to end up two saws a 261 and a 462. Buy them, sell the 291 then drag your heals on selling the 201. If she mentions anything just tell her according to what you've read on the internet the 201 strickly speaking doesn't count as a proper saw as its so small and light;)
That plan should work provided she doesn't realize what a 201 is worth.

That 3 saw plan is spot on. I too have a Ms201 but i also have a 550xp (50cc) and a dolmar 7900 (79cc).
My advice is to tell your wife your only going to end up two saws a 261 and a 462. Buy them, sell the 291 then drag your heals on selling the 201. If she mentions anything just tell her according to what you've read on the internet the 201 strickly speaking doesn't count as a proper saw as its so small and light;)
If you're wife knows how many chainsaws you have, you're either a very lucky man, or you will need to promptly surrender your man card on your way to pick up her next order at Starbucks 😜

@fields_mj Gives good advice here on the clones. You absolutely must be comfortable with tearing them down to the piston before pulling the cord. If that doesn't suit you, buy a Stihl/Husky/Echo and don't look back.
You don't need to go all the way down to the piston, but being willing to do so does help. Expect to need to at least go far enough to replace the oil pump.

If you want a ported saw, THEN the clones are an excellent choice because you're replacing most of the critical components regardless. I've never done business with them, but Smelter Saws (bluesaws.com) will build you a ported, "bullet proof" saw (starting with a clone) and you're still into it for noticeably less than a new OEM. Personally, I think that's about the best option for a new saw. The OEM didn't get a chance to make any markup by painting their Chinese components orange or orange/white and the extra money you spent went towards a skilled American Craftsman.

This is the best thing that I have read on the Internet this week. This is quite a brilliant plan.

As far as a 2 saw plan the 261 and 462 are a great pair.

I would recommend the Standard versions, but it's up to preference for the Standard or M-Tronic version.

If you ever get a chance to run a 660/661, it's easy to get use to the extra power!, and will make the 261 feel like the 201.

Mad3400

well ive got a 661 with an old school carb. it's got plenty of power. I do however have my dad's old saws a couple homelite xl 12, a Stihl 056 magnum, a Stihl 090. if the 661 can't handle what I'm cutting I skip the 056 and grab the 137 cc 090

My ms362 is carburetor runs good. Lightweight powerful enough. It took a while to break in I had to literally run 10 to 15 tanks thru it before it broke in and ran right. 25 inch bar and I can cut all day with it.

I’m looking for some thoughts about a two-saw plan. I heat partially but not exclusively with wood, and I help a couple of friends with maintenance on their property (260 acres of fields and hardwoods). My primary uses are bucking trunks and limbs as well as cutting trails.

Right now, I have the smaller of my two saws: a Stihl 201C-EM with a 16" bar (this is the rear-handle version). I love the saw. It is light and handles quickly, and it’s not hard to carry from wherever we park to wherever we might be working.

I have a Stihl 291 right now, but after cutting with a smaller professional saw, I want to upgrade my larger saw, and my neighbor is interested in buying the 291 for a property his parents just bought. I’m torn on which saw that larger should be. After much reading here and elsewhere, I am thinking either a 261 or a 462. Both of those models seem to have a lot of good feedback here.

On one hand, the light weight and increased power of the 261 compared to my smaller saw lean me in that direction. It is “enough” saw. On the other hand, the 462 could handle everything that I am going to cut with a lot more power. A 25" bar on there would be just about perfect. The real downside would be the increased weight. The price difference doesn’t really come into play here, since I am a buy-once-cry-once type of guy. (I’ve thought about the 362, but it seems to have a less enthusiastic following here.)

No, I don’t “need” a professional saw, but I love saws and enjoy having top-of-the-line equipment. I'm leaning toward the 261 but don't want to regret not going for the big saw. And no, my wife will not let me have three saws, unfortunately. What do people think?
not sure if we are the right people to be asking about a 2 saw plan. as 98% on here probably have 10 or more saws LOL.
462 weighs in at 13.0 lbs, 400 is at 12.8, but it has a plastic handle and the mag piston helps too. I have a ported 400 that will easily pull a 28" b/c. and my ported 462 can easily pull 36". If your wife won't let you have 261 and 462, and money aint an issue, you could always get the 500 i that weights 13.9lbs?
but since you have a rear handle 201, I would go with a 462.

Update: I bought a 400. 😁 I could have gone either way on the 462 vs. 400, but the 462 wasn’t at my dealer’s the day that I went, and the 400 handled very nicely. I have a 20” bar on it right now and a 25” for the occasional larger tree. Between that and the 201, I think I am set.

Update: I bought a 400. 😁 I could have gone either way on the 462 vs. 400, but the 462 wasn’t at my dealer’s the day that I went, and the 400 handled very nicely. I have a 20” bar on it right now and a 25” for the occasional larger tree. Between that and the 201, I think I am set
That 400 looks like a sweet saw from everything i have seen on you tube. If i didnt have a 362 I'd be looking hard at one.

not sure if we are the right people to be asking about a 2 saw plan. as 98% on here probably have 10 or more saws LOL.
462 weighs in at 13.0 lbs, 400 is at 12.8, but it has a plastic handle and the mag piston helps too. I have a ported 400 that will easily pull a 28" b/c. and my ported 462 can easily pull 36". If your wife won't let you have 261 and 462, and money aint an issue, you could always get the 500 i that weights 13.9lbs?
but since you have a rear handle 201, I would go with a 462.
I didn't realize they had pulled so much weight out going from the 461 to the 462. That's almost 2 lbs! Very impressive!

Update: I bought a 400. 😁 I could have gone either way on the 462 vs. 400, but the 462 wasn’t at my dealer’s the day that I went, and the 400 handled very nicely. I have a 20” bar on it right now and a 25” for the occasional larger tree. Between that and the 201, I think I am set.
you will like it, i almost bought a 3rd one, slightly used.

Good luck on whatever you buy. I started out with a 170, gave that to a son and bought the 261 it does all my firewood chores and does it well. I recently got the itch for more power/speed so I purchased the 400, have not regretted that purchase one time. So my 2 saw plan is 261/400, that works great for a few cords of eastern hardwoods each year. But realistically the 400 drops as big of a tree that I need, rarely anything over 24”.
Maybe set aside the 201 for a future child (wink wink) and get 2 great saws!

Latest posts

Back