The unofficial Mac 10-10 thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Mark. I think I will just go head and separate the cases and do it that way. Not that big of a job. I have a small motorcycle shop and use the Threebond and it is great stuff. If you cannot find this the Honda Bond and the Yamahabond are also the same stuff. They both are built by Threebond. Cannot beat it. I always use alcohol to clean the surfaces and get any oil or grease off them before I apply the sealer. I also use acid brushes and cut the Brussels down to about 1/4 inch and use this to apply the threebond. Keeps it off your fingers and gives a good smooth, even coat.

Brian

I have posted this on the main forum but it is perhaps more appropriate here. This is the Pro Mac 60 given to me by 90 year old neighbour. Had been sitting in his shed since the 80's. Cleaned out the fuel tank, cleaned the air filter and plug and she started on the 5th pull. Any help with year would be good. I am assuming it is an early model from the early 70's?

running!

Made from 7/72 until 12/76
Yeah I was wondering if its lack of chain brake and plain aluminium handle marked it as being an early saw (others that I have seen have had a chain brake) but was not sure if there was an accepted point where this was introduced.

Well I did a bit of cutting with the Mac tonight. What a legend of a machine! I had been using my Dolmar ps-400 with admittedly is only 40cc but the Mac just smashed wood that the Dolmar could not manage.
Great day topped off when Jack dropped around tonight with this picture. Said it was the wood that he had cut when he first got the saw. The clothes line in the background is still in my backyard. Dog is Timmy. Jack is a legend.

Hello everyone!

I have a mac 10-10 question. I would like to find a full wrap handle to put on my 10-10. i know this is possible, but i cannot find one that specifically says its for a 10-10. Any help????

Full wrap handles for the 10 Series rigid mount saws are hard to come by.

View attachment 541630

The broken one pictured above is on a 5-10 that I got from Canada.

View attachment 541631

I tried once to find a shop that could bend some tubing to match but I had to order 100 to 500 units to get them interested...it didn't happen.

Mark
Hi Mark. Thanks for the info. I had a hunch that you would probably know and this wasn't the first time someone has asked.

There is a guy on YouTube who is from Canada and he runs Macs when he does tree service and falling jobs. He is a big Mac enthusiast and he runs some -10 series saws and they really go. He runs em with 28" bars. I also noticed he had full wrap handles on his saws. Looks pretty cool and very functional. So when you say there more up in Canada it sort of clicked in my head. So I'm thinking a guys gotta go to Canada and get a bunch aye! Ha.

Thanks again for the info.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

There is a guy on YouTube who is from Canada and he runs Macs when he does tree service and falling jobs. He is a big Mac enthusiast and he runs some -10 series saws and they really go. He runs em with 28" bars.

Buckin Billy Ray by chance?

He certainly loves his Macs and sharpens a mean chain. Just stumbled onto his channel a few weeks ago. And I did see the Pro Mac 10-10 with the 28" bar and chain setup eat through that 40" maple. Quite the character and makes some sweet axes, too.

For those yet to be initiated to the Buckin' Billy Ray experience...and since it is unofficially a 10-10 vid...

Yeah I've been looking for full wraps for some of my 10 series saws, needless to say, I'm still looking

While this isn't a 10-10, it is a close ancestor. I wound up with this 1-10 as part of a purchase of many McC parts from another AS member. The history he was told about it is that a McCulloch rep stopped by the hardware / saw dealer (which sold another brand) and dropped this saw off to let them evaluate McC saws and consider selling the brand. The store never did that, but they kept this one a loaner for customers while their own was being repaired. I believe the 'demo' marking was painted on before the store was given the saw. The serial number is in the 17000 range and everything on it corresponds to the earliest variant shown (under ser. 27001) in the microfiche. When I the saw came into my hands the coil was missing, spark plug threads buggered up, and a couple other very minor issues. 100_1337.JPG View attachment 551338 100_1339.JPG Have any of you others come across 'demo' model McCullochs before? I am wondering if the demonstrator program came from McCulloch corporate or from the regional distributor.

Attachments

• 100_1338.JPG
    100_1338.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
Looks like some were corporate...

IMAG0462.jpg

I have a couple of 1-10 McCulloch saws myself. The first one I acquired had the SDC carburetor, the second one had the bullfrog. I offered $100 for the second on since it had a roller nose bar, the dealer wondered if I would settle for $25...

IMG_3816 (640x480).jpg

...since I had to replace the roller nose, I decided $25 was not a bad deal.

Neither one gets used much because of the manual oiler only, but both will start and run and cut.

I don't remember if it was the same stop or another stop at that location that yielded this:

DSCN0002.JPG

Mark

Looks like some were corporate...

View attachment 551340

I have a couple of 1-10 McCulloch saws myself. The first one I acquired had the SDC carburetor, the second one had the bullfrog. I offered $100 for the second on since it had a roller nose bar, the dealer wondered if I would settle for $25...

View attachment 551344

...since I had to replace the roller nose, I decided $25 was not a bad deal.

Neither one gets used much because of the manual oiler only, but both will start and run and cut.

I don't remember if it was the same stop or another stop at that location that yielded this:

View attachment 551346

Mark
That red saw looks out of place..

He certainly loves his Macs and sharpens a mean chain. Just stumbled onto his channel a few weeks ago. And I did see the Pro Mac 10-10 with the 28" bar and chain setup eat through that 40" maple. Quite the character and makes some sweet axes, too.

For those yet to be initiated to the Buckin' Billy Ray experience...and since it is unofficially a 10-10 vid...

BBR's saw appears to rip. I wish my PM700 ran like that.

My dad ran a 28" hard nose with a bow hook on his 1010. I don't think the hook worked too well.

Ron

Back