Thinking of upgrading my wood furnace, asking opinions.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules083

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
The Hotblast thread got me thinking about upgrading my furnace, and it turns out technology has passed me by. Now I'm wondering if it's worth buying a new furnace.

Currently I have a Energy King model 360EK. It can burn wood and coal, but I don't use coal. It works well enough except for on some of the real cold days, and usually keeps the house around 65 or so. Any hotter than that and I have to throw wood at it all day. Usually wake up to a cool but manageable house. I have creosote issues regularly, as do most people with these types of units. Also I get high amounts of smoke out of the chimney, and use a large amount of wood.

So I start looking at the new EPA style furnaces and I'm intrigued. I really like the Kuuma Vapor-Fire 100, but it commands a premium price for sure. Seems to be one of the best. The PSG caddy seems similar also, and there's a dealer about an hour away from me.

http://www.psg-distribution.com/product.aspx?CategoId=16&Id=577&Page=spec

There's also a thread here of the Drolet Tundra that I need to read through.

So my point is, is it worth upgrading? I love to have longer burn times and a more efficient furnace, with preferably a higher heat output than what I have now. Counting my basement I'm at 3000 square feet.

If I had 3,000 sqft I needed to heat I would probably skip the choices you listed and get a Max Caddy instead

If I had 3,000 sqft I needed to heat I would probably skip the choices you listed and get a Max Caddy instead

You think I need it? The basement isn't really heated, but the furnace is down there. It's kept warm just off the heat coming from the door.

I don't even have a vent open in my basement and it stays 70-80 degrees with my Tundra.

I've seen some good things about that furnace. I think the size and cost is kind of making me wonder, as it's drastically cheaper than some of the other options I think.

I'll certainly be following this, wanting a furnace for my house unfornately the only one that I've found that will replace my old sears is a summers heat, kinda limited unless I add a shop on the front of my house

You think I need it? The basement isn't really heated, but the furnace is down there. It's kept warm just off the heat coming from the door.

I've seen some good things about that furnace. I think the size and cost is kind of making me wonder, as it's drastically cheaper than some of the other options I think.
There is a few of us on here have the Tundra. Flotek and I being ones that do. Great furnaces, pretty much same as caddy. On sale now also at Menards for a ridiculously low price.

3000 sqft including basement isn't bad. If your sending alot of smoke out of the chimney, your wasting fuel. With a Tundra or Caddy, you'll burn that smoke and with the secondary heat exchanger, you will collect that heat for the home. Is it worth the upgrade?...Absolutely. How is old is your home, insulation levels, etc.? With a modern furnace, a proper sized chimney is important as well as good seasoned wood.

My house is only 3 years old, but it's a log home so not quite as good insulation as what a newer conventional house would be. I have 2 flues in my chimney and a second stove on the first floor, which helps. I burn it either when it's really cold and windy, or when it's not cold at all and I just want to warm the upstairs up a bit.

Would the tundra perform at least as good as my furnace as far as heat output? Otherwise it's a waste of money, as if it's worse I'd have a problem on my hands.

Counting my basement I'm at 3000 square feet.
How big is the basement by itself? You normally don't include that footage unless it is finished and you hang out down there a lot and need to actively heat the space. Unless you have a really drafty basement it should stay warm down there just from the radiant heat off the furnace.

How is old is your home, insulation levels, etc.?
good question.
What is your primary heat source? How much fuel would you use if you went off wood completely? If you know that you can roughly figure what your heat load is and make a better decision on which model furnace would work for you.

I'd bet the Tundra would do the job easily for you. Like wisneaky said, Menards sale on Tundra through 1/31/15 for $1250 after sale price and rebate!

Would the tundra perform at least as good as my furnace as far as heat output? Otherwise it's a waste of money, as if it's worse I'd have a problem on my hands.
Hard to say for 100% sure but probably would be better, like laynes said, you are blowing a lot of heat/unburnt fuel up the chimney. All that creosote is unburnt fuel.
There are some people on here and over on hearth heating some pretty big houses with the Tundra...

How big is the basement by itself? You normally don't include that footage unless it is finished and you hang out down there a lot and need to actively heat the space. Unless you have a really drafty basement it should stay warm down there just from the radiant heat off the furnace.

good question.
What is your primary heat source? How much fuel would you use if you went off wood completely? If you know that you can roughly figure what your heat load is and make a better decision on which model furnace would work for you.

I'd bet the Tundra would do the job easily for you. Like wisneaky said, Menards sale on Tundrra through 1/31/15 for $1250 after sale price and rebate!

Hard to say for 100% sure but probably would be better, like laynes said, you are blowing a lot of heat/unburnt fuel up the chimney. All that creosote is unburnt fuel.
There are some people on here and over on hearth heating some pretty big houses with the Tundra...

The house is 30x40 square, so after wall thickness i figure roughly 1000 square feet per floor. The basement is heated 100% with just the radiant heat from the furnace, and is insulated well enough that it's still plenty warm all winter.

I have no heat source other than wood.

Also, no chance on me getting that sale price unless they do internet orders. Can't do anything until Monday at the earliest.

Also, no chance on me getting that sale price unless they do internet orders. Can't do anything until Monday at the earliest.
Yeah, you can order online.
So basically 2000 sq ft, should be no prob. You said it is a cabin, do you have high ceilings/loft area?

Yeah, you can order online.
So basically 2000 sq ft, should be no prob. You said it is a cabin, do you have high ceilings/loft area?
1d933028f272b712a2a8f081ff4f2e4b.jpg

Hard to tell, but yes. The center of the house is about 18' high. The lighting is never right for a picture.

Edit- Sorry, my internet was down last night so I had to use my phone. I didn't realize the picture was sideways.

Well, that height "adds" to the load, but you have ceiling fan(s?) so that helps and Tundra is "rated" up to 2500 sq ft, so...
What is rating on your current furnace? Never mind, I looked it up, 125k BTU and 1500 sq ft

It looks like you have no insulation above? If that's the case, you may need something larger to carry the heat load.

I believe mine is rated for 2500. I think you're talking me into this.
The 360ek manual shows it at 1500 ft.
Don't let me "sell" you anything, just trying to help you think through this with some guidance.
Any furnace that is wood/coal will be a compromise on both fuels. The newer "EPA" style furnaces like the Tundra (Caddy too, and Kuumas for sure!) are designed to squeeze all Btus available out of wood fuel...

365 is 1500ft
385 is 2000ft
480 is 2500ft...from EKs site
That's for the newer models also I think. I'm going to read through that tundra thread and probably order one. From the sound of it the price is an excellent deal that I should jump on.

It looks like I'd end up with a warmer house and less wood used, which sounds great to me.

Back