Is the Kumma my only real option?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisR

Reaction score
Hey all,

New user here. I found this site in researching new wood furnaces. I've got a very old wood furnace that has finally reached its replacement.

In doing research, it seems like the only legitimate option worth anything is the Kuuma. Am I missing something? My home is older and is 2800 square feet. I know the Drolet is also a good pick, but it seems too small for the size of my house.

The Kuuma is just so dang expensive! Any thoughts? Is it just what I'm stuck with if I don't want something that doesn't keep the house warm or will break within 2 years?

Thanks for all your feedback!

It does not look bad at all. "Kuuma" is actually Finnish and means HOT. Obviously heat distribution ducts are needed.

Drolet should have a model to handle that footage. Hopefully they get a few more certified models for the usa.
Us stoves Hot blast does, but they arnt great furnaces, at least not the older models like i habe.
Newmac made a good warm air furnace, but pretty sure they are gone in the usa now. Few others that I know nothing about. Fire chief, and shelter. I only mention shelter because it's popped up in my area since newmac went dodo bird. No experience with them.
We were talking about replacing our hot blast with a newer furnace, but have since rethought in favor of an outdoor boiler.

The Drolet Heat Commander and the Kuuma VF100 are the only 2 forced air wood furnaces that you should even consider...the one Firechief model left now is too small, and has a poor track record, at best. Anything else you find out there is not EPA approved, and just flying under the radar until they get caught...pretty much just gonna be "old school" fire in a steel box type units anyway...certainly nothing I would want to own anymore (after already owning some)
We've been running a VF100 for 7-8 years now, and as someone who has owned WAY too many different wood furnaces, I can say the VF is the best one, hands down. They are expensive, but its one of those get what you pay for purchases...all stainless firebox, and the superb customer service (not to mention supporting a family owned business that employs local people and is involved in the local community...they also buy USA steel and components as much as possible too) It really is a buy once cry once purchase (then laugh at old man winter for many many years to come) They really do work as well as claimed.
2800 sq ft should be no big deal for the VF, we have almost 3000 here (including basement) and it just plays with that load...I've never had to run it on high yet, not once...set on the lowest heat setting 99% of the time.
Where are you in WI? @JRHAWK9 has a VF100 up there in WI, and a lot higher heat load than us!

Drolet should have a model to handle that footage. Hopefully they get a few more certified models for the usa.
Us stoves Hot blast does, but they arnt great furnaces, at least not the older models like i habe.
Newmac made a good warm air furnace, but pretty sure they are gone in the usa now. Few others that I know nothing about. Fire chief, and shelter. I only mention shelter because it's popped up in my area since newmac went dodo bird. No experience with them.
We were talking about replacing our hot blast with a newer furnace, but have since rethought in favor of an outdoor boiler.
Drolet only lists one wood furnaace on their website and it only claims up to 2,500 square feet. I wish it worked though...sure would save me thousands!

The Drolet Heat Commander and the Kuuma VF100 are the only 2 forced air wood furnaces that you should even consider...the one Firechief model left now is too small, and has a poor track record, at best. Anything else you find out there is not EPA approved, and just flying under the radar until they get caught...pretty much just gonna be "old school" fire in a steel box type units anyway...certainly nothing I would want to own anymore (after already owning some)
We've been running a VF100 for 7-8 years now, and as someone who has owned WAY too many different wood furnaces, I can say the VF is the best one, hands down. They are expensive, but its one of those get what you pay for purchases...all stainless firebox, and the superb customer service (not to mention supporting a family owned business that employs local people and is involved in the local community...they also buy USA steel and components as much as possible too) It really is a buy once cry once purchase (then laugh at old man winter for many many years to come) They really do work as well as claimed.
2800 sq ft should be no big deal for the VF, we have almost 3000 here (including basement) and it just plays with that load...I've never had to run it on high yet, not once...set on the lowest heat setting 99% of the time.
Where are you in WI? @JRHAWK9 has a VF100 up there in WI, and a lot higher heat load than us!
OK, thank you. I really don't want to spend the money but I am not seeing a lot of options. It does at least seem like it will be a massive upgrade! Did you install yourself? I don't know if I dare tackle that task myself, but after shipping it is quoted at $8,400! So I am not looking to spend $2,000 more in installation...

As for location - I live in Southern WI Sort of between Madison and Milwaukee

Drolet only lists one wood furnaace on their website and it only claims up to 2,500 square feet. I wish it worked though...sure would save me thousands!
Realistically it will probably be fine with what you're heating. The sq footage is kinda a stupid way to rate a furnace, btu output per hour is what you really want to look at. I heat 2600sq ft, with the hot blast, and really even for a pos old design, I rarely have it burning much over medium, even down into single digits.The drolet was pretty highly reccomended as a replacement.

Been happy with my Drolet Tundra. Bought in 2015 the first thing I noticed was it used 30 to 40 precent less wood. I had a learning curve the first year. And I do like the glass door.

I've had the Vapor Fire for 4 years now. Was hard to swallow the initial cost and the installation. But in my opinion, the cost was worth it. I like in northeast wi. I only heat 1700 sq feet, but it's a leaky, modular home with an zc fireplace and air cooled chimney. It will overheat the house down to 30 degrees outside. And super easy on wood. I burn mostly Aspen in the beginning and end of winter. I get an easy 12 hour burn. My longest was ash with an 18 hour burn.

Thanks for all the input everyone! I ended up getting the Vapor Fire - it's quite the machine so far! Still trying to get the air as hot as it claims to keep the house warm, but I haven't hooked up the cold air exchange yet either.

Still trying to get the air as hot as it claims to keep the house warm, but I haven't hooked up the cold air exchange yet either.

That is all dependent on your ductwork. Mine, when first installed, was not all that warm either. I had to slow the blower down substantially. Others see decent temps without doing anything.

I think I got my Drolet in 2015. And still learning. I use to load it 3 times a day this year I went with 2 I might get down to 74 F . This tundra never smoke in the house when opening the door I gave 1400 or 1500 dollars for a machine that delivered. Almost no smoke as a avid runner Nice and friendly. The wood consummation is off the charts. Most is white oak I cut in 2010 super season. I got a temp gauge on the chimney I never seen it get above 1 hundred . I clean the chimney once a year I get about nothing . A absolute beast wood product

Based on that "Kumma"- name there is a Finn involved. Translation would be something like "Odd". We Finns just love heat

Latest posts

Back